Tips on my next purchase...
Feb 18, 2012 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

SolomonPierce

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have a hd598, sr125, and k540 / old k270.  Since I've only bought fairly low imped cans so far I have not bought an amp.  I returned my E7 / E9 I got with my 598s because the difference was marginal (and the E9 had a popping sound issue which I'm guessing was just a faulty unit).  Anyway I'm thinking of either k702s or dt770s next.  I really like AKG so I was considering them, but I would like a more fun set for bassy electronic music so I was thinking dt770.  Basically I would like any tips you guys might have.  I'm leaning towards the dt770s but I haven't chose what version. 

I see they're going to have a limited edition 32ohm edition in March so I was thinking of that, but I'd really like to get an amp soon with the most "fun" cans possible.  I've heard the 80ohms has the best bass, and although normally I wouldn't care much about bass, I do want a heavy bass set because I have never had one before.

Also right now I just hook up my cans to my pc's headphone out.  It sounds ok, I have a Creative SB titanium series something or other, I purchased it extra when I ordered the computer but the actual model escapes me right now, so I can't be any more specific.  I do have an optical out on the card.  So what is the best way to begin getting a more serious setup?  My pc is basically the only source I use, I also have an older Denon receiver for my tv's surround sound system, idk if I could put that to use...  For amps I've been looking at the schiit valhalla / Lyr and Cayin Ha-1a as a prefer a warmer sound that I assume I could get with a tube amp.

tl;dr: looking for best ways to get a more serious setup in the future, bit by bit (i.e. amps & dacs / how to set them up correctly to my pc).  Also wondering about the differences between the dt770 models.  I'd like a nice bassy closed set in contrast to my other cans.

Sorry I got a little long winded, but I appreciate any knowledge you may pass along to me.

Feb 19, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #2 of 6
Bump...

I hate to bump, but I could really use some tips.  I just want to make sure I'm getting the best possible quality sound possible (or else none of us would be here I guess).  Definitely thinking dt770 in the near future along with an amp.  Just trying to decide what's the best next step.  I figure I'd wait on a dac since the E7 I tried didn't audibly change anything from my soundcard, and I'd rather be able to power a larger range of cans first.

Thanks again

Feb 19, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #3 of 6
Your sound card is probably ok, an amp is definitely a better choice for now. If down the line you want something better, you can probably start with the Asus Essence ST or HT Omega Claro Halo, or an external DAC.

As for the headphones, what's your budget?

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #4 of 6
Probably 200 - 300 for new headphones.  I don't have a problem with sticking with the 598s for now, they're my main ones atm.  I really just plan on getting one thing fairly soon and let the rest come later.  I was planning on an amp too, just wanted to make sure that was the best course of action.  Like I said I'm thinking the dt770s 80ohms unless you'd recommend otherwise...

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 6
The only Beyer I would recommend is the DT-880 (250ohm or 600 ohm) DT-770's sound a little muffed for me, and I just hate the sound of the DT-990.

With that said, the 598's are excellent, I would recommend getting an amp, like the Schiit Asgard, or Matrix M-stage. I would do with the Asgard for its made in USA status, but it's up to you.

You can always get another of headphones later. It won't be good if you get another pair without something decent to drive them.

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #6 of 6
True and I like Schiit due to the fact that they're made in the US as well... I thought the Cayin was German judging by price but I read something about it being made in China.  Kind of a shame.  I hope for the 598 to be my last made in China audio product.  Might go for Valhalla / Lyr though just because I'd prefer a tube amp.  Also yeah I'm sure the higher model Beyers are better I just want a fun bassy headphone for my electronic music / showing my friends who own beats / bose lol.  But I agree the 598s are excellent for what they are, really have no complaints about them.  Thanks for the input, I'll definitely look into an amp next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back