Tips issues, help please.
Jan 20, 2008 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Austin 3:16

500+ Head-Fier
With my Kramer Modded JVC Marshmallows, I get the best seal with medium Shure Foamies (Olives) [inner tube removed so they'll for the large shaft of the 'Mallows]. Large Shure soft silicone tips work well too but tend to slip out. Medium even worse on slipping.

Now I have Atrio m5's. The medium stock dual flanges don't seal too great, and slip out. The large dual flanges seal great, but slip out too. The stock large foam tips seal great, but will get too dirty too quickly. I can't get a seal with my medium Shure Foamies (Olives) with the Atrios. I use the cable over the ear with all schemes.

So what do I but next? Large Shure Foamies? Standard length Westone Comply tips? Or short Comply tips?
confused.gif

Help!
frown.gif

Jan 20, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #2 of 12
And I'd like to order them Monday morning, so A.S.A.P. advice would be of the greatest help, thanks.

Jan 20, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #3 of 12
This thread gets burried faster than Ms. Spears life.

Jan 20, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #4 of 12
Sorry, I have lots of experience with different tips, but no experience with the Atrios. I would probably try the standard Comply tips (with the tubes removed if required). They are very soft, however, they also get dirty pretty fast. You could also try the newer Shure black foam tips. Or, you could try making your own tips from foam plugs - at least then you could replace when they get dirty for very little money.

Jan 20, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #5 of 12
Atrios use standard sized tips.

I already mentioned I tried the New Black Shure Foamies (Olives) in medium with no seal as a result.

Jan 20, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin 3:16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread gets burried faster than Ms. Spears life.

confused.gif
frown.gif
confused.gif
frown.gif
confused.gif
frown.gif
confused.gif

Jan 20, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin 3:16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I'd like to order them Monday morning, so A.S.A.P. advice would be of the greatest help, thanks.

frown.gif
confused.gif
frown.gif
confused.gif
frown.gif

Jan 20, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #8 of 12
try, to push them deeper in your ear...take on hand an pull your ear back...as if you are trying to open your ear more and push it in further, but don't hurt yourself trying to do it either.

Jan 21, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #9 of 12
While I use small Shure black foams and short Comply foams with my Etymotics ER6i's, for my Atrio M5's, if I use Shure, I've found that the large ones -- and they are quite large -- seem to fit without slipping out. (There is a minimal bit of pressure, though -- I've found that for long plane trips, regular Complys or the Future Sonics stock foams exert less pressure and so are a little more comfortable ... but the Shure pressure is not bad, really. The standard Complys might be worth a try - the sound quality will be good, but they won't last as long as the black Shures, but much longer than the FS foamies.)

For some reason, for me, the smaller earphones take smaller tips, and the larger earphones take larger tips. I wouldn't have thought the large Shures would fit me -- I must have large ear canals.

One possible work-around -- I've experimented with placing the Shure foams on the M5s "upside down," with the flattened end inserting to the ear. There's a lot about this on the now-epic Future Sonics thread. This is supposed to provide better isolation (I think it does, by a small bit) and better sound (individual mileage may vary on this one), but in my opinion it also alters the fit -- by almost a "half size" ... meaning, if you find the mediums a bit loose, first try reversing the tips on the earphones stalks, to see whether that works for your situation. It's probably worth a try ...

Jan 22, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try, to push them deeper in your ear...take on hand an pull your ear back...as if you are trying to open your ear more and push it in further, but don't hurt yourself trying to do it either.

Tried that. Didn't help.

Jan 22, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I use small Shure black foams and short Comply foams with my Etymotics ER6i's, for my Atrio M5's, if I use Shure, I've found that the large ones -- and they are quite large -- seem to fit without slipping out. (There is a minimal bit of pressure, though -- I've found that for long plane trips, regular Complys or the Future Sonics stock foams exert less pressure and so are a little more comfortable ... but the Shure pressure is not bad, really. The standard Complys might be worth a try - the sound quality will be good, but they won't last as long as the black Shures, but much longer than the FS foamies.)

For some reason, for me, the smaller earphones take smaller tips, and the larger earphones take larger tips. I wouldn't have thought the large Shures would fit me -- I must have large ear canals.

One possible work-around -- I've experimented with placing the Shure foams on the M5s "upside down," with the flattened end inserting to the ear. There's a lot about this on the now-epic Future Sonics thread. This is supposed to provide better isolation (I think it does, by a small bit) and better sound (individual mileage may vary on this one), but in my opinion it also alters the fit -- by almost a "half size" ... meaning, if you find the mediums a bit loose, first try reversing the tips on the earphones stalks, to see whether that works for your situation. It's probably worth a try ...

Seems we have the same ear size. I tried reversing the medium Olive. Didn't work. Don't want tips that get dirty easily, so it Seemed the large Olives are the solution.

Thanks for the input.
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #12 of 12
Have you read the 100+ threads on how awesome Shure foamies are? Complies are notorious for getting soiled quickly, but the black Shure foamies really can't be discolored if you're using them normally. I've had mine for about a year now.

Yes get the large Shure foamies so you won't lose sleep over nobody replying to your 4 bumps to this topic
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back