Tips for writing a review?
Mar 26, 2010 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

NimbleRabit

100+ Head-Fier
I'm planning to write up a review between some of the commonly recommended "budget" phones, but since I'm still very much a novice around here I'd love some tips. I'm especially wondering if there is anything in particular I can listen to to properly hear the distortions along the different frequencies.

I don't have any problems reviewing the differences of these subjectively, but I want to try and be as objective as possible. Also, what things specifically should I be sure to mention?

Oh and if anybody is curious, I'll be reviewing the JVC RX900, ATH AD700, and the Allesandro MS1 right now, with plans to add one or two more of the budget phones people are always asking about around here (any requests?).

Thanks for any help, hopefully I can write something that will help other novices like myself make a choice for their "entry" headphone.

Mar 26, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 9
I think maybe an Audio Technica M50 would be good to throw in there. The glossary sticky might be a good starting point other than that no idea.

Mar 26, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by NapalmK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think maybe an Audio Technica M50 would be good to throw in there. The glossary sticky might be a good starting point other than that no idea.

Oh I actually can get my hands on one of those, I'll see if my friend will let me borrow it for the review. Good call, that's another one that people mention pretty often.

Mar 26, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 9
would like to see a review between the M50, M-Audio Q40 and the HFI 780.

Those were the phones I was considering when I was looking for one so I'm interested in how these compare to eachother, all are sort of in the same price range.

Mar 27, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrivs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would like to see a review between the M50, M-Audio Q40 and the HFI 780.

Those were the phones I was considering when I was looking for one so I'm interested in how these compare to eachother, all are sort of in the same price range.

The HFI 780 is significantly more expensive than the M50, so I don't really consider it in the same bracket as the other headphones I'll be reviewing. Already planning on doing the M50, probably not the Q40 though. I never really see it mentioned around here.

Mar 27, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by NimbleRabit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm especially wondering if there is anything in particular I can listen to to properly hear the distortions along the different frequencies.

You'll get nowhere fast with that one! You, me and everyone else is a subjective entity, so any so-called test is actually an 'assessment'. Trying to listen to distortions would need you to be that mythical being - a 'claibrated man' !

Even if you could isolate and hear just distortion the human mind is not equipped to accurately store the info for recall and comparison when the next instance comes along (maybe minutes, hours or days later). So I think that it is best to not bother with that and concentrate on your subjective opinion of how they sound to you.

Anyway, it'll be nice to read your report, so best of luck with it...

Mar 27, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 9
I'd like to see the Sennheiser HD448 properly compared to the SR60 and the M50, just so I can make up my mind if I'll switch or not.

Mar 27, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by JB197 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll get nowhere fast with that one! You, me and everyone else is a subjective entity, so any so-called test is actually an 'assessment'. Trying to listen to distortions would need you to be that mythical being - a 'claibrated man' !

Even if you could isolate and hear just distortion the human mind is not equipped to accurately store the info for recall and comparison when the next instance comes along (maybe minutes, hours or days later). So I think that it is best to not bother with that and concentrate on your subjective opinion of how they sound to you.

Anyway, it'll be nice to read your report, so best of luck with it...

Haha, thanks anyways. I know it's extremely hard to be objective, it's the same no matter what you review. I was just hoping that maybe there was a sound file that was supposed to have the same volume across each frequency, so I could help evaluate how neutral the phones are considering I don't have a good pair to use as a reference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zmd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to see the Sennheiser HD448 properly compared to the SR60 and the M50, just so I can make up my mind if I'll switch or not.

The only Sennheiser's I own are the PX200 II, and I don't intend to get any more in the near future. I'll start writing up the review now, just reading through the glossary and others reviews to try and help me write this correctly. For now I'm just reviewing the RX900, AD700, and MS1, and we'll see how my review of those turns out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back