Tips for Silver Bullets
Sep 28, 2010 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

BobSaysHi

Headphoneus Supremus
Howdy,

I am new to IEMs, and just bought Silver Bullets in the for sale forum. The sound is great.
biggrin.gif
The fit is passable.
redface.gif
Isolation is pretty bad. 
mad.gif

My problem with most tips is that they are too big. My ear canals are really small, so size is an issue. The small tips on the Silver Bullets fit pretty good, but Isolate poorly. On the double flanges that are provided, the inner part is too shallow and the outer part is too big, which makes them uncomfortable. I don't want foam tips because they need replacing too often and take forever to get in.

What would be an alternative to the stock tips?

Sep 29, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #4 of 17
Can't say about this specific IEM, but I was on a quest for tips after being tortured by what came with my IE8s.

Comply, hate them.

Comply installed backwards, sound better, but uncomfortable.

Modified Shure Olives, didn't sound great, I think removing the tube somehow caused quality problems.  I used them on my Shures for years.  But great isolation and comfort.

Sony Hybrid Tips - They have em at Bestbuy.  They are comfortable and sound good.  I don't like them just because if I get sweaty I get all sorts of seal popping issues.  Plus the isolation is bad.

Monster Supertips - I love them.  I love the gels, I love the foams more.  If baby Jesus used IEMs they would have supertips on them.  haha.  Anyway, thats what I think. 

3-flange Monster tips - I actually think these are more comfortable than the supertips.  The isolation isnt as good and when I get sweaty they pop out.  There also seems to be less room for depth to change why they are in your ear.  If I'm at my desk at work, I'll use these, but generally prefer the supertips.

Hope that helps!

Sep 29, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #5 of 17
the pl30 tips are without a doubt the best you can get.  None of the above were any good.  NONE of them have the proper size to fit over the bullets.  The Comply, hybrids, the super tips, none of them.  They are have a slightly wide opening and it gets more narrow as you get closer to the sound hole on the tip

only the pl30 tips have a nice wide and fat and long shape to fit over the bullets and not plug the sound nearer to the outgoing sound hole.  

Sep 29, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #6 of 17
Maybe I'm weird, because I've heard people bring this up before and have no idea what people are talking about on the narrow hole.  I've A/B'd all these tips even against inverted stock Sennheiser foam tips on my IE8 and have not heard any negative sound loss related to, "tapering".  The big issue I see is when a tip collapses, or if it absorbs sound with foam.  

I'm no sound engineer, so I'm probably wrong, but to my ears the Sony and Supertips sound great.  I mean, your ear tapers too.  Anyway, just my opinion and I have A/B'd them all.  I believe the OP wanted the isolation of a foam.   

But to be honest, he probably should look for an IEM with a smaller nozzle.  I have my grandfather's ears so I can pretty much put a small child in my canals.

Sep 29, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #7 of 17
see the elongated part that the tips fit on, the tube part?  well, the hybrids, the complys, the super tips and a few others ive tested do not give a proper fit.  The Silver bullets have a thick and short tube.  none of the above actually fit it properly, but the Pl30 tips do

they are shallow and fat and fit around the silver bullets the best.  They are very much like the stock SB tips, just a bit more comfy.  The opening on all of the tips mentioned, the part where the sound exits the tip and enters your head is too small.  Only the stock SB tips and the PL30 tips have the correct size to allow the best sound to reach you.

that doesnt really mean anything if you prefer the other tips even if the fit isn't right or as good as the pl30

Sep 29, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #8 of 17
Yep, I know what you mean.  My IE8s are much bigger than the Sony Hybrids and a bit bigger than the supertips.  I've A/B'd them against the stock Sennheiser foam tiips which don't have a smaller hole at all.  No sparkle is lost, maybe a bit less boomy.  

The tube on the Comply T-400s is the correct size, but it destroys the sound for me.

I think it's more related to material than tube size.  But, I'm sure I could be wrong and everyone's ears are different.  But if haven't A/B'd the tips and ever wanted foams, I love the supertips.   

Again, I could be wrong.  But, I have spent hours and hours modifying tips, making tips, glueing tips and think for my ears at least, the tubesize has no impact.  Just the material and if it collapses.

Sep 29, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #9 of 17
Like i said the comply tips as well as the others do not have the correct sound exit space, the SBs and the pl30 have a wider outgoing end. Thats why your sound is a bit warped.  It fits on the tube end, but the sound hole itself gets narrower as it gets closer to the exit hole lol,  Its funny because my Hippo Epic sparkles are about half the size of the bullets, but the tube the tips fit over are like 1/3 thicker lol,SUPER fat tube and the Pl30 and stock SB tips still fit it great.  Check my thread out on the epic sparkles and see my comparison pictures.  I am using stock PL30 tips on them, both the pl30 and stock SB tips fit on the super fat tube Hippos lol

Sep 29, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #12 of 17

You can get PL30s on ebay, and they are sold often right here on head fis for sale section
Quote:
Have you A/B'd against the Sony Hybrid or Supertips?  I have.

I have no idea what A/B'd means :\

However, Ive tested the comply, the hybrids, the super tips, the hippo stock tips from the Epic, a few other off brands, and lastly the pl30.  Not sure what else to say about it except none of them have the correct hole size except the Pl30s lol.  The hippo Epic sparkle tips also fit it, as they are even wider than the SBs are lol :p

Sep 30, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #15 of 17
Ah, By A/B, I meant try one right after the other back and forth.  It sounds like we have been on the same quest!  The only reason I asked was because I read so much on this forum and others that I found was totally incorrect for me.  It would have saved me a ton of time if I read posts based on actual experience versus just opinions that a hole looked too small.  I was just trying to save the OP some time.  Anyway, perhaps your ears are far more sensitive than mine.  Because I could only hear differences in the material, not the tube size.  In any event, you spent more money on your tips than your IEMs and I totally respect that.  I have Monster Coppers, Monster Golds, 2 pairs of IE8, a couple pairs of Shures, and I can tell you that tips make a HUGE difference.  

The thing I think I have learned most is that it would be smart for IEM manufacturers to stick with small nozzles like the Shures.  I never even realized I could have a fit problem until I tried something other than them.  The small nozzle permits more, "meat" of the tip and helps the fit for me a lot.

Have a great day and have fun with the tip quest.  I'm just waiting to find my next one to try
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

However, Ive tested the comply, the hybrids, the super tips, the hippo stock tips from the Epic, a few other off brands, and lastly the pl30.  Not sure what else to say about it except none of them have the correct hole size except the Pl30s lol.  The hippo Epic sparkle tips also fit it, as they are even wider than the SBs are lol :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back