Tips for People New to this Hobby
Jun 23, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #16 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skip the portable stuff, especially the portable amps. Those get expensive in a hurry. No matter how small and cool looking they are, amps that plug into the wall demolish them. Even $100 desktop amps and old receivers put out for trash collection give you sufficient power to run full-sized headphones.

For headphones, get a used pair of mid to high end full sized models. Even a used HD-600 for $200 is excellent. Put that on a $25 receiver from Goodwill, and you're going to get very good sound.

Don't overspend on the source player. The major difference between CD players is in output voltage; if you level match digital sources they all sound pretty much the same. Get an inexpensive or used CD player and use it.

Use the best recordings you can find. This always pays off.

For a budget rig, I'd get a used HD-600, a vintage receiver and a used Sony, Denon or Marantz CD player. With a little luck, you can get those for $250-$300. Next, I'd spend about $100 for drivers and materials to build a pair of Voigt Pipes with Fostex drivers to run off the speaker taps on the receiver. Finally, I'd add a vintage turntable with a modern cartridge.

All of that can be done for $500. Maybe $400 if you scrounge hard and/or luck out on stuff.

Also, forget the cables and power cords. The cheap ones actually work. Use those instead.

I think most of that is right except the HD600s, not because I have anything against them, but because taste varies from user to user. Some may prefer the presentation of a D2000 or SR225.

The one thing, though, that cannot be stressed enough, is
[size=x-large]DON'T GET A PORTABLE.[/size]

I wish someone had told me that.
frown.gif

Jun 23, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #17 of 45
Having one I seldom use, I would agree about portable amps. If you are using full sized cans, you might get some value, otherwise they're over rated.

Jun 23, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #18 of 45
People come into this hobby from a wide variety of backgrounds, from having had nothing but an ipod and a love of music and some mp3s, to having come from mega-dollar speaker rigs with years of experience developing critical listening skills; from a being a musician, or someone with professional studio experience, or even with a technical background in audio gear, be it diy or professional, to none of the above. Folks are also coming in from different age groups, income levels, and with a wide variety of musical tastes and expectations for what quality sound reproduction means and what they want to hear. There are excellent sub $300 rigs, but a computer-based or portable system may not be at all what someone is looking for, and based on individual experience and need, may even be a poor suggestion, leading to disappointment and/or frustration. I guess all I'm trying to say is that there is no one-size-fits-all answer, and what satisfies one person may not be the right choice for another. We should be respectful of that, and help people out accordingly.

Here's my advice to those starting out in this hobby:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bef...ewbies-419349/

Jun 23, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #20 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ignore everything written by anyone about anything. judge for yourself.

LOL ! I think you just shrank the size of the Head-Fi archives from 2 terabytes to around 2MB ! Granted, 2GB would probably be the sum total of useful advice, but I think your approach may be a little harsh.
darthsmile.gif

Jun 23, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #21 of 45
Once you've bought your new gear, simply forget this forum exists. Seriously. You may not visit next month, but you'll be back in a couple years doing the same thing over again.

I was able to log into an account that had been dead for almost 5 years. Next thing I knew I'd spent a grand in the span of a week.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #23 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People come into this hobby from a wide variety of backgrounds, from having had nothing but an ipod and a love of music and some mp3s, to having come from mega-dollar speaker rigs with years of experience developing critical listening skills; from a being a musician, or someone with professional studio experience, or even with a technical background in audio gear, be it diy or professional, to none of the above. Folks are also coming in from different age groups, income levels, and with a wide variety of musical tastes and expectations for what quality sound reproduction means and what they want to hear. There are excellent sub $300 rigs, but a computer-based or portable system may not be at all what someone is looking for, and based on individual experience and need, may even be a poor suggestion, leading to disappointment and/or frustration. I guess all I'm trying to say is that there is no one-size-fits-all answer, and what satisfies one person may not be the right choice for another. We should be respectful of that, and help people out accordingly.

Here's my advice to those starting out in this hobby:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bef...ewbies-419349/

I somehow missed your sticky when it was posted - but just read through it now & I couldn't agree more with all that was said. I have found the journey to be more than 1/2 the fun - but my wallet (or my hubby's wallet
evil_smiley.gif
) sure could have made some more informed choices along the way! I know my first mp3 player was what started me on this journey & little did I know what was ahead. I thought all I wanted was a good pair of headphones to make that mp3 player sound good! Now several $'s later & so much good music later.....I couldn't be happier. I have found such a wealth of info & spent many amazing hours in sheer pleasure. I think patience with the journey & a willingness to read & learn are key to the enjoyment. We all want instant gratification, but it really pays to spend some time with the equipment we have before moving on so that we really know what we like & dislike before looking for the next addition. I've sold stuff a few times -in order to fund another purchase- before I should have & before I really knew what it was I was looking for in the new purchase. My ears seem to be fairly slow learners!

Jun 23, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #25 of 45
Run, you will spend at least 10 x more then you thought, Really!

Jun 23, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #28 of 45
Control the impulse buying. Your wallet and the voice inside your head will thank you. Regardless of the quantity of cans and IEM you may have at any given time, keep in mind you only have one set of ears, and like those cans, the ears will degrade over time.

Jun 23, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #29 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraro25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As the thread title says, I made this thread for those of us who have been around for a while to give advice to those new to the hobby.

I doubt that any of my advice is going to be repeated that much, if at all. I think I'm right, though, assuming the goal is to not waste money (which is something I have A LOT of experience with; see sig).

I'm sorry but I have a hard time taking what you say seriously when you talk so much about DSP effects and have this posted in your signature:

"Favorite Source: Cowon S9 8GB (with BBE, Mach3Bass, 3D Surround, and MP Enhance all on at various levels; an expensive amp is a waste of money when you have all of these DSPs [I'm serious])"

These effects horribly add artificial processing to the music which takes away all the truth and realism contained in the recording. I liked DSP soundfield modes when I had my first portable CD player, but that was over 16 years ago, way before I even knew about this hobby. You say you've been here awhile and have experience with it so I don't understand why you would make such a statement about an expensive amp being a waste of money. If you have good equipment that can present the music in a natural and effortless way, you too will find that DSP soundfield processing is not only unnecessary but detrimental to hearing accuracy in a recording.

The best thing any newcomer could do is to get their butt to a user meet and listen to the equipment for themselves so they can find the sound that best suits his/her tastes.

Jun 23, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #30 of 45
Find what you like through buying and selling used, upgrade what is necessary a little at a time, once you have what you like stop going on Head-Fi and enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back