tips for owners of sony d777 discman
Aug 14, 2001 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
here are some tips for d777 owners who don't use an external amp:

if you use the remote, turn the player volume up to between 6 and 8. then adjust the remote volume to your taste. this boosts the bass and adds density to the sound, especially for large transducer type cans like the v6. i found anything above 8 on the player's volume control can induce distortion. the extra power from the player's tiny amp improves the sound.

if you like to use "bass boost", you can tune it by adjusting the player volume and using the remote. higher volumes on the player decrease the amount of bass, while lower volumes increase it. again, adjust the volume on the remote to your taste.

Aug 14, 2001 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 6
Thanks for the tips Red
smily_headphones1.gif

Re : distortion over 8 on the volume control... there is only one CD that I have that induces that - Maddona : Ray Of Light, the amp doesn't seem to be able to equalise enough to sort the bass out

That is one thing I love about the D777 as it goes, the fact that if you play something too loud (or bassy) that it distorts the once, and then equalises to make a clean sound
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2001 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 6
you're welcome, duncan.

i hadn't noticed the self-correcting distortion on the d777.. i'll have to test that. the thing i like about the d777 is the tiny size and clean sound. it has the best signal to noise ratio of any poratble i've used. the made in japan "sl-sx" panasonic i tested (i don't remember the exact model, but headroom.com recommended it) had so much much noise in the signal in comparison to the d777 i returned it.

Aug 17, 2001 at 5:00 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

...if you play something too loud (or bassy) that it distorts the once, and then equalises to make a clean sound

I'm wondering, is this the result the automatic volume limiting system?

Aug 17, 2001 at 5:18 AM Post #5 of 6
Not that I know...

AVLS... that is pure nastiness on the D777.... slashes the volume, kills the dynamics etc etc

whereas this phenomenon... the volume stays at the same volume, but the sound lightens up

I've had this Discman for 6 years, and am still loving it
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2001 at 7:36 PM Post #6 of 6
duncan, me too. i will only give up this discman if it (god forbid) breaks or sony comes out with a sacd discman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back