Tips for new headphones
Mar 10, 2017 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Edo2

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, my 7yrs old Akg K518LE died few minutes ago so i came here hoping you would help me decide what i could buy in order to replace them.
I used them mainly with my iPod Classic 5 g (the last with the hard drive and the DAC Wolfson WM8975), listening to Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Prog Rock/Metal, Folk Metal, Southern Rock, Blues, Jazz, Fusion, Country, Electronic (various genres), Hip Hop, Classical, Rap and some Pop (i think i've wrote down every genre, but that's it).
I brought my Akgs everywhere, they were always in my bag, back in school and, now, at university. So important features would be strength, durabilty and portability.
I was thinking of changing to IEMs too, but i'm not sure really.
What do you suggest?
The budget is 30-40€ (i know).
Thanks everyone!

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #2 of 11
What do you think of the Koss PRODJ200? I saw that on ebay i could buy them new for nearly 60 €. I know it's over my budget but it seems like a pretty good price for those. What do you think?
Thanks!

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #3 of 11
If you are looking into getting IEMs, maybe you will find this thread useful. Good luck! 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/805930/best-sub-100-chinese-brands-earphones-thread-hidden-gems-personal-favorite-best-deals-and-impressions-sharing-for-audiophile-on-budget-include-best-chinese-headphones-dap-section

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #4 of 11
Thank you very much!
I really don't know, i tried some not expensive IEMs from my friends and what i really miss is soundstage. How do you think IEMs compare to full-size closed headphones?
Maybe i'll go with the Koss and, in future, i'll buy some cheap IEMs..

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #5 of 11
Well it really depends on the specific IEM. Some IEM have pretty good soundstage, better than some headphones even, but of course, this is model dependent.

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #7 of 11
Unfortunately I'm not very familiar with IEM in that price range. If you can go up a bit, the Shozy Zero and TFZ Series 5S are quite good for your needs.

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #9 of 11
Do you have any model in mind around 50-60€?

If you can get a deal on it, the !More Triple is highly recommended. Two good ones at a price closer to what you have listed are the SoundMAGIC E10 and the VSONIC VSD3S. The SoundMAGIC is the more durable of the two, but both sound terrific. If you want to go cheaper and buy two pair, one to keep in case the first breaks, I would definitely go for the KZ-ATE--$25 for two pair.

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #11 of 11
So important features would be strength, durabilty and portability.
I was thinking of changing to IEMs too, but i'm not sure really.
What do you suggest?
The budget is 30-40€ (i know).

1More triple driver is an excellent IEM. SoundMAGIC E10 is really nice as well.

I would also seriously consider the Xiaomi In-Ear Pro HDs (also known as the Hybrid Pro HD). They are triple-driver units like the 1Mores, and they are designed (and likely even manufactured) by 1More. They have 100% of the quality and 85% of the sound of the 1Mores, at $30 vs $100. They're very comfortable (although the stock tips are easy to swap to Complys, JVC Spiral Dots, etc). You can even do a simple 10-second mod to them (taping a vent hole) to improve the sound to the point where I feel they match the 1Mores.

Hybrid Pros are a good pairing with the genres you listed. They are my go to pair of IEMs out of a few dozen different choices I have.

If you do consider the Xiaomis, make 100% sure they're the Pro HDs. The Pro HD looks very similar to the older Pro Hybrid, and many sellers accidentally mix up the 2 due to confusing marketing by Xiaomi (selling the old Pros as HD Pros, but not on purpose).

The previous Pro had dual-drivers, and while they look similar (and even say "HD Audio" right on the housings), the Pro HD are slightly different in appearance, have triple-drivers, and also say "HD Audio" on the housings.

Here's a photo of the key external differences for easier identification:

Hybird Pro (left) has the cable coming out of the side, in a sort of a wraparound design that makes a letter 'p'. In-Ear Pro HD (right) has cable coming straight out of the center bottom.

<--Hybrid Pro          In-Ear Pro HD-->

Hybird Pro (left) has 3 black plastic rectangular buttons on the cable for controls. In-Ear Pro HD (right) has 3 round aluminum buttons on the cable for controls.

From a side view, Hybid Pro (left) has a body that is half plastic half aluminum at the 'bump', split down the center. In-Ear Pro HD (right photo) from a side view has more aluminum and less plastic at the 'bump', sort of a 75/25 ratio.

While I do like the 1Mores, I was absolutely floored by the Pro HDs, and in hindsight I likely would not have gotten the 1Mores if I had listened to the Pro HDs (with the mod though). Take the $70 you save & take your significant other out on a nice date or put it towards a portable headphone amp that will make your iPod Classic sound even better (I have same one as you, with SSD upgrade).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back