tips for increasing sound quality of an ipod
Sep 25, 2007 at 8:05 AM Post #61 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by MartyM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I drag from iTunes to mp3gain, nothing comes over with the drag. The mp3gain box is as empty as ever. I'm assuming the "music files" you are referring to are the ones I see in iTunes.

oooo sth wrong goin wrong with mine too....the "Add file" button was just workin but now not anymore...or not always anyway.....but "add folder" functon is still workin....
smily_headphones1.gif
so so far i m fine with it.....btw u can make the program do the gain thing for AAC files as well http://www.rarewares.org/files/aac/aacgain_1_7.zip
rename the aacgain.exe to mp3gain.exe n replace the original mp3gain.exe with the new one....(u may want to backup a copy of the org. 1 1st)

so now my mp3gain programme is workin for AAC files as well!!!

but.... Quote:

Originally Posted by zeckwsr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so what do i do now? anything to (1)make itunes update the volume information of my songs n (2) so of those in my ipod??
otherwise i would hv to delete my library n add all those 40gb(i know this is little compared to u guys
rs1smile.gif
) of songs to my ipod again

who can help me!!!??

Sep 25, 2007 at 12:24 PM Post #62 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem with the equalization in the iPod isn't the quality of the equalizer. It's that most audio tracks ripped from CDs nowadays are level boosted all the way up to the limit that digital audio can reproduce without clipping. When you apply a bass boost in the iPod, it pushes the volume of those frequencies further- over the limit into clipping. That's why people complain about distortion using the iPod's EQ.

If you normalize your tracks down 10 or 15%, that will allow plenty of room for the equalizer to be able to boost frequencies a little if necessary. It will bring the overall volume down a bit, but you can compensate for that with more volume, more efficient headphones or a line out and amp (which would provide a sound quality improvement on its own.)

Did I explain it clearly?

See ya
Steve

If you guys are having trouble doing this, click on the link in my signature. It will help you make the appropriate adjustments.

Sep 25, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #63 of 86
I don't understand why you want to fool around with mp3gain. Use iGain, it does the same thing except it works with aac files and works seamlessly with itunes. No re naming files not comand line, nice gui. Once you do this the iPod eq's work fine. I normally use Dance

Sep 25, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #64 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Cat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand why you want to fool around with mp3gain. Use iGain, it does the same thing except it works with aac files and works seamlessly with itunes. No re naming files not comand line, nice gui. Once you do this the iPod eq's work fine. I normally use Dance

hi there i;ve respected ur recommendation n went ahead to try that out
smily_headphones1.gif
....tho it's managed to finish the initial scan....it didnt manage to do a single analysis n give this error...n seems that u r a pro usin that...i hope u can help with the followin issue...
orphsmile.gif

"fatal error. please restart itunes and try again. File.\Igaindatabase.cpp, line 357, result-1"
ofc i hv followed their instruction but no help....n i actually tried 2 different versions...1.1 n 1.2 but still neither works...help please steve

Sep 25, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #65 of 86
o i hv found the problem causin ipod cant sync with the gain-ful songs

u hv to turn SOUND-CHECK OFF in BOTH IPOD and ITUNES then ur ipod will get updatin...viola!! XDD

Sep 25, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #66 of 86
So is there a way to reduce lossless files by say 2db, without having to redo tracks, album names, track number, CD number, adding CD artwork, etc. ?

Sep 26, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #67 of 86
I think best solution to acheive great sound quality from ipod is to download SRS WOW SANDBOX or DFX sound enhancement and use lineout female cable(like ipod fm radio).

Sep 26, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #68 of 86
Mmm, it looks like SRS is used only when using a computer as a source. DFX does not look like it supports iTunes.

Sep 26, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #69 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by gnychis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hehe np.

heres a quick question for those that are familiar with the DIY amps, which amps are similar in size to the tomahawk or hornet?

The Mini3 is the size of a credit card (approx) and just under 1" thick. Is not ideal for anyone who has not done some soldering.

http://www.amb.org/audio/mini3/

If this is your first DIY amp you want to look at:
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/

It is very simple to build, cheap and fun. It will end slightly larger than the mini3 but still very portable. It also produces surprisingly good sound

Sep 26, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #71 of 86
I thought the idea was to lower more than the volume. I believe if you just lower the volume, you will still get distortion when using the ipod EQ since most recordings today are so damned compressed. Isn't headroom the key?

Sep 26, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #72 of 86
Quote:

I thought the idea was to lower more than the volume. I believe if you just lower the volume, you will still get distortion when using the ipod EQ since most recordings today are so damned compressed. Isn't headroom the key?

Well, thanks for the answer. Headroom seems to be the key, youre right.

Has anyone an idea for a such a tool that works under mac osx and can cope with ALAC and a big lossless libary (approx. 38gb) ?

Sep 26, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #73 of 86
ipodpj says he uses Audacity for mac. He recommended Foobar for pc users, but I don't think it supports iTunes. I'm guessing you'd have to rip to flac or wav and use a third program to convert it back to iTunes. That's just too much. It would be nice if there were a program that did what we're talking about and worked seamlessly with itunes.
It may be my imagination, but it seems some of the people at head-fi actually like messing around with all these programs and codecs. Me, I just want to be able to listen to my music without too much hassle. Listening with the EQ would be nice as well.

Sep 26, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #74 of 86
Quote:

ipodpj says he uses Audacity for mac. He recommended Foobar for pc users, but I don't think it supports iTunes. I'm guessing you'd have to rip to flac or wav and use a third program to convert it back to iTunes. That's just too much. It would be nice if there were a program that did what we're talking about and worked seamlessly with itunes.
It may be my imagination, but it seems some of the people at head-fi actually like messing around with all these programs and codecs. Me, I just want to be able to listen to my music without too much hassle. Listening with the EQ would be nice as well.

There is it is called Ivolume works with itunes directly and very easy. Around the 90db setting for eq or 96 and leave it off

Sep 26, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #75 of 86
Great for people who have Macs. Is there something similar for PC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back