Tips for carrying around IEM's?
Dec 2, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #16 of 49
X10 comes with a nice pouch. I use that and roll up to put them back in and it's fine. Just need to be gentle and baby these to avoid all the durability issues it's known for.

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #18 of 49
If it came with a hard case don't hesitate to use 'em. My X-IE came with a hard case so I use that. However, my GR07 MK2 only has a pouch for storage - I use it when I store the IEM on my desk drawer but if I'm on the go I borrow the hard case of my X-IE and place my R07 there.

Westone also has an IEM case just search around the forums as someone had placed a review of it. Can store up to 2 iems I think. Problem is it's a bit big though but sturdier than cases that came with the iem itself.

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #19 of 49
Quote:
I don't always have room for a case, but I never wrap them around my phone. I always wrap them in a specific way where you wrap the wire around itself. They don't tangle or put strain on the wire. Usually just drop them in my pocket.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVYocRGho9U

Hmm. IMHO, I do not approve this way of wrapping the cable. I want to preserve the cable as much as possible in the long run so I ought to do something similar to this:

Quote:
In a hard carry case. Here's one I use, it's small enough to fit in a pocket or I can throw it in my bag and not worry about it getting crushed(I only use hard carry cases, pouches suck).

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #21 of 49
http://www.westone.com/store/index.php/westone-music-products/accessories/travel-case.html

I received one of these with my Westone 3's. Works great.

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #23 of 49
I may have busted my Westone 3s because I always wrapped them around my iPod when I had to put them away - otherwise I let them hang off my ears or around my neck. That, or because every once so in a while I'd kneel down to do my shoelaces, letting the cables sag down past my knee, then stand up, causing the cable to get caught against my leg, jerking it violently. Either way, now it's going to cost me around USD 200 to have them replaced (out of warranty).

I carried a pouch with me in the beginning, but the thing is they're uncomfortable to carry around if you don't have a bag with you...for now I bring my hard case and a bag, if only for my new W4Rs, and don't put them in my pocket at all, hanging it around my neck instead for shorter periods provided it isn't raining outside (if it does where the case/bag option isn't available, I'd hang them around my neck and slide the monitors themselves just under my hoodie/jacket collar region so they stay dry).

So yeah, suggestions would be great as I feel that my patience/diligence my wear thin at one point and that's all it takes for my IEMs to go kaput...

Dec 2, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #24 of 49
Quote:
Hmm. IMHO, I do not approve this way of wrapping the cable. I want to preserve the cable as much as possible in the long run so I ought to do something similar to this:

In a case I never wrap them tightly so I don't see any advantage to that style of cable management. I'm willing to bet that my loosely wrapping in a circle is less stressful than tightly wrapping the cord around itself.

Dec 2, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #25 of 49
Those cheap $5 leather round earbud case do works, as I have 2 of those for my C5 and UE900.  A tip for that is after you loop your cables with 3 of your fingers, put ONLY the looped part into the net side of the case and leave your 3.5mm plug and the buds out and close it.  That way when you take your buds back out nothing will get tangled.  The Klipsch X10 case (and punch in general) require a different approach, as looping your cables will still cause the cables to tangle.  What you need to do for that is not to loop but fold the cables in half successively, with one side of the fold slightly longer than the other, put your buds in first then with the rest of the cables on top.  This way when you try to take out the buds from the X10 case, you are grabbing the cable first and not the buds or the plug.  Works every time.

Dec 2, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #27 of 49
Quote:
Cheap alternative: Altoids tins.
More expensive: Pelican cases

Altoids tins works but make sure you give it a decent cleaning and line it with something soft before use.  I wouldn't use Pelican cases for earbuds because they are too tough and create too much pressure inside the case on your cables, especially if your buds have some kind of memory cable or foam tips.

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #28 of 49
There's a vast selection of cases on eBay for a dollar or upwards, I've got a ton. For smaller IEM's cases sold for holding memory cards (not the solid plastic ones) work too.

Properly wrapping your cables over-under is a must as well.

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #29 of 49
Quote:
Altoids tins works but make sure you give it a decent cleaning and line it with something soft before use.  I wouldn't use Pelican cases for earbuds because they are too tough and create too much pressure inside the case on your cables, especially if your buds have some kind of memory cable or foam tips.

Otterbox cases would be more suitable than a Pelican.

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #30 of 49
Quote:
In a case I never wrap them tightly so I don't see any advantage to that style of cable management. I'm willing to bet that my loosely wrapping in a circle is less stressful than tightly wrapping the cord around itself.

I think you have misunderstood my reply. What I'm trying to say is that I do not approve the tight-wrap method as seen on the youtube link posted in the above quote on my previous reply. What I'm doing with my iems is similar on your way of keeping the cables neat. I wrap them loosely in a circular fashion so as not to stress the cables. Kindly re-read my reply, I also quoted your picture
tongue.gif

Quote:
http://www.westone.com/store/index.php/westone-music-products/accessories/travel-case.html
I received one of these with my Westone 3's. Works great.

This is good also. OP could also take a look into "monitor vault" by Westone. I've seen one in person and can attest to its durability and protection for iem though a bit pricey but I think it's a good investment nevertheless.

http://www.westone.com/store/index.php/westone-music-products/accessories/monitor-vault-smoke.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back