Tips for a quieter computer...
Apr 15, 2010 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

lordsegan

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, some of you guys are probably computer experts out there. But for those who aren't, a few tips:

Fans

The current reining champ in quiet case and cpu fans is either the Scythe Gentle Typhoon or the Slipstream.

The Typhoon is considered better as a CPU fan, the Slipstream is considered better as a case fan, but some consider the Typhoon better as a case fan too.

Anyways, these fans are specially designed and offer noticeably better air flow with slower speeds and less background noise!

Cases, various cases are considered good and quiet.

The antec solo case is good, but does not have a ton of room or airflow. Its a low to mid end case.

The antec 900 and antec 1200 are larger, but not quite as quiet and have a very open design, which is bad depending on what else you have in your case.

My current fav is the Cooler Master ATCS 840. It is a more closed design than the larger antecs, with good cooling.

Another, VERY expensive option is the excellent Corsair 800d and 700d.

All of the above fans and cases are best in class and highly recommended.

Of course, it is also possible to build a SILENT computer with no fan, but I personally am willing to accept some sound because I use my computer for all sorts of things that also need high-power (games, videos, etc).

Enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #2 of 11
I have 3 Gentle Typhoons in my Antec P183 right now. I am running them at 800-900RPM and they are pretty much inaudible. Definitely a great fan for anyone looking to build a quiet computer.

Apr 15, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #3 of 11
While I agree with your fan choice, none of the cases you mention have been designed for quiet computing. In fact, they are all 'gamer' cases, and have little or no noise separation and lots and lots of fans.

RicHSAD has the right idea... the P18x has been specifically designed for quiet computing (in conjunction with the SPCR guys), and has been used in many quiet computer builds. It will struggle to keep an overclocked gaming computer cool, but its very hard to mix hot high end components and quiet computing (but not impossible).

Lastly, everyone's idea of 'quiet' is different. I've heard people say (for example) that the Antec 1200 is 'quiet', and yet it sounds like a helicopter to me, even with the fans on low speed.

If you are serious about wanting a quiet computer, I'd suggest heading to a dedicated quiet computing forum.... (like SPCR). Most components can make noise, building a quiet PC you want to think about:
1. Power usage. Generally the higher power a component, the hotter it will run, and cooling is generally noisy
2. Fans. Anything with a fan will make some noise. Obviously better fans move more air with less noise. However, and this is important. DO NOT BELIEVE THE SPECS. Fan manufacturers lie horribly (not all, but many) about their fans noise level and air flow.
3. Power Supplies and motherboards can make 'coil whine'.
4. HDDs are generally noisy. SSDs are silent (but expensive and small).
5. Case design. Any time you have a direct path between fans and your ears, you have a path for noise. Also, aluminium cases are typically worse than steel cases, as they are lighter and more prone to cavitation. Small cases are often easier to balance air flow and noise, and cases with separate compartments (such as the P18x) can isolate noise making components (ie PSU) from heat generating components -- although this is less of an issue now with high efficiency PSUs.

Anyway, the rabbit hole of 'quiet' computing is deep and long... above is a small taste! Having a quiet computer.... is (imo) amazing... and somewhat addictive. My next build will be quieter again
smily_headphones1.gif

As an aside... I water cool. This allows me to have much hotter/high performance parts and still cool them effectively and quietly. Downside is cost (of course).

Apr 16, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #5 of 11
Noctua fans, good heatsinks, sound dampen case and a excellent PSU.

Apr 16, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #7 of 11
I have used the Antec Sonata for years now (I currently have 3 of them). The Antec power supplies have 2 special 4-pin power cables for 12VDC case fans that throttle back when the temp is cool. Also I use Cooler Master CPU fans on ASUS motherboards with BIOS support for CPU fan speed control. Another good CPU fan choice is Arctic Cooling with a thermistor on the heat sink. I almost never hear my computer and when I do it's the optical drives spinning up to some unholy speed.

Apr 16, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #10 of 11
The best audio PC would be totally fanless with SSD (or CF) drive for OS, but of course it is impossible to have quad SLI or something like that at the same time. After optimizations are done, PSU fan can be safely disabled, and you have total silence
beyersmile.png

Apr 16, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #11 of 11
If you want a system just for audio then you can design a very quiet system from the ground up. It is hard to "retro-fit" and exiting system that was meant for gaming or video. Read around as there is lots of information on insulating, quiet PSU, fans..etc..etc. I have a freind who has a PC based recording studio and he has his system in an insulated closet so it is not even in the same room.
Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back