Tip to optimize the midrange of the Beyer DT770
Mar 12, 2005 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Mr.Radar

Headphoneus Supremus
I just thought I'd share this tip to optimize the DT770 midrange with fellow DT770 owners. The DT770 is known for having a recessed midrange. In my listening I have found that this is partially true; the mids are slighly recessed but certainly not completely buried like some describe them. Anyways, I was browsing the Meier-Audio website and on the Tips & Tricks page Jan describes how positioning the drivers slightly down and forward of center on your ears can improve the soundstaging. I tried it and though the soundstage didn't improve very much the mids really opened up. With the driver centered on my ears I'd put the the mids at 6 on a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being the best) and with the drivers forward and below center I'd put them at a 7.5. If you own DT770's definately give this a try.

Mar 12, 2005 at 3:46 AM Post #2 of 2
Oh yeah, this works. I been wearing mine one notch below my normal position for while now and have found the the sound much more balanced - for 770's anyway.

I tried wearing the phones in a "forward" position, but honestly, I could discern very little difference. To me, the biggest gains were achieved by simply lowering the phones one notch.

Another interesting evolution/de-evolution occured as I broke in the pads. Overtime, the muffs conformed to my face...hence the drivers moved closer to my ears as the pads condenced; resulting in a narrower soundstage.

Of couse, I am starting to believe that soundstage expansiveness is a direct result of driver distance from the ears so this effect was anticipated.

Sorry, I am a noob here!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back