Tip Rolling and musings on nozzles larger than those on my SE846
Oct 8, 2014 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Ivabign

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a number of custom headphones and have also invested in many universal versions of CIEMs (V8 - Merlin - Mentor) and for some of these headphones I am still looking for the perfect tip... I have odd ears with a large opening, so many large tips attempt to seal at the opening of my ear canal and do so for a time, but end up getting loose with any activity.... but...

I also own the Shure SE846 - I do not have the trouble with these that I have with other IEM tips - and the reason why, is that I can use Westone tips on the small diameter nozzle.  Westone large diameter silicone and foams have a good deal of length - they are just longer and seal perfectly. Comply makes a P Series foam that has an extended length, but they are only available in a 100 Series - the same nozzle diameter that is on Westone and Shure (and Etymotic) IEMs - that is to say a small diameter nozzle.

I have yet to find a tip that has the same large inner diameter of say, a UE product - or a JVC (I have the 850) - or a Tralucent - which come with a larger nozzle. It is impossible to stretch the Westone tips over these larger nozzles - same with the Comply.

I spoke to Gary at Comply and he agreed that it would be nice to have a 400 or 500 series tip with the P Series length.

Has anyone found a readily available tip with a substantial length, but a larger diameter nozzle opening?

I have tried some Frankenstein machinations, but nothing works really well, so I thought I'd throw it out there..

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 2
Received a set of P-Series Comply foams and they work great - the 846's sing and the isolation is durn near isolating....

Haven't tried these on my ER4P yet, but that might happen this weekend - also have a pair of UM PRO50 coming - these will fit the Westones as well. The Comply seal better (IMO) than the olives or the Tru-Fit...

Listening to Steely Dan on my 846's with a HPL Copper Litz and Comply P Series - it is currently the best they have ever sounded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back