Tip if buying Lunchbox Pro
Jan 19, 2009 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

milkweg

Banned
Make sure to tell them to send the correct power cable when ordering. Received mine on Saturday and was sent a three prong cable when the Lunchbox only uses a 2 prong cable so it wouldn't fit into the back of the Lunchbox. If it wasn't for the fact I happened to have the exact cable I needed not being used in a box (cable from an external HDD case I no longer use) I would have been quite miffed at this oversight.

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Just wonder what is the difference between the Lunchbox II and Pro?

It's got extended dynamic range due to some internal changes. I suspect bigger caps on the output, maybe more powerful transformer and carefully matched and selected output tubes.
Overall it not worth to go for pro if price difference is signifiant. It's recommended to buy better tubes for Lunchbox though... Ask Skylab which ones, he surely can help you on that.

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #4 of 8
Just checked it again on Eddie's site and the difference is only 30$. I may use it solely with my SE phones like the PK1 (150ohms) and ESW10JPN (42 or 45 ohms I think). Love the tube sound out of my HD650 so much that I'm thinking of buying a budget tube amp to use with my portable phones.

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #5 of 8
Than stay away from LB. Last thing you wanna do with it is driving low impedance cans.
Even more, LB have no that distinct tubey sound, it's kinda SS-like, at least with stock tubes.

Jan 20, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #8 of 8
I paid $199.00 for Lunchbox Pro because it was on sale over Xmas. I was told that once all the stock was gone then there would be no more for sale. They had to send some back to Russia also because they got damaged during shipping.

I'm not going to change my tubes until they die on me. I do have a list of recommended replacement tubes though but don't even know where to buy them in Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back