Tip for de-cored Shure Olive Tip
Dec 1, 2009 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

RASeymour

500+ Head-Fier
Taking joker's advice I de-cored a pair of small Shure Olives for my RE0. I was able to successfully remove the core without taking much of the surrounding foam. Still, when I put them on my RE0's they didn't fit very snugly in my ear or on the earphone. Specifically, the olive remained in my ear when I pulled out the earphone. Not good.

How to keep them on?

What I did was take some Sony Hybrid tips, large ones that I wouldn't ever use, and flipped over the silicone part, exposing the colored core. Then with an exacto knife knife I cut a section off the end of the Sony core. The section was just a bit wider than the indent on the RE0. The indent is the part above the silver band and just below the opening of the earphone. Then I slipped the section on the RE0's. Since it is a bit wider than the indent it flanges over a bit as well. Have the flange or flare towards the body of the earphone. Then slip on the de-cored olives. The new ring will hold the olives in place without any additional bulk.

I like these Shure tips. While I enjoy Comply tips, they really muffled the sound on the RE0's. The single and double flange stock tips work well but don't isolate quite enough. The Shure Olive are a good compromise.

Dec 1, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 9
Weird. Maybe it's just my freak Olives that stay on nearly everything without slipping off. Or maybe some of the old glue is left in there from the old cores
wink.gif
. Good tip with the hybrids. Any chance of putting up some pics?

Dec 1, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 9
Love the olives on my RE0's too. I tried some de-cored olives with T400 cores (wore out in about 3 weeks), but I eventually stretched out the Shure core enough. They haven't slipped off yet, and I don't really feel like putting them back on if they do.

If you decore the olives very carefully, they're fairly snug on RE0's without any core. Not sure about extended use though.

Nice tip, BTW. I'm tempted to pick up some hybrids now even though I don't need them...
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 9
olives on the re0 are great :] i was gonna use the cores from the comply tips but i got too lazy. the olives have stayed put and never stayed in my ear even after extended use.

quite strange for them to fall off for you tho

Dec 2, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #5 of 9
Here's a picture.

Dec 2, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #7 of 9
I personally prefer to expand the olives because when you decore them they loose their shape somewhat. Expanding is also fairly easy if you just use a round chop stick and let the olives sit on the end with the highest diameter overnight.

Jan 24, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally prefer to expand the olives because when you decore them they loose their shape somewhat. Expanding is also fairly easy if you just use a round chop stick and let the olives sit on the end with the highest diameter overnight.

I just use a round tip solder set at low temperature, and let the olivers sit on for 15 seconds, then it expanded.
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by RASeymour /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a picture.

If it's just that thin of a section, I wonder if we can just buy some silicone tubing from hardware store and then cut it to fit between IEM and decored olive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back