Tiny bookshelf speakers with BIG sound
Oct 13, 2010 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

aj_brown_99

100+ Head-Fier
So i've been asked to research and buy passive speakers and an amp for my school. My requirements are:

The speakers must be tiny: they have to be under ~6 inches wide
They should sound as big as possible for their size: they will be used in a classroom seating 30 kids
They should be under $500
General sound quality comes after these things in importance

They'll be used for watching videos and listening to music. I don't really know where to start looking because it's tough to find good speakers of that size, from my experience. I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Adrian

Oct 13, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #5 of 26
I have a pair of Tannoy DC4 and they are exactly that - great sound (4" dual concentric driver), looks (real oak veneer) and tiny (less than 6" wide at the front they they get smaller towards the back).  They also have magnetically attached covers.  They cost £250 in the UK but might not be available at that price in the USA
frown.gif

edit: for a school though those speakers suggested above, energy RC mini, seem like a much better idea!

Oct 14, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #6 of 26
My dad has a few pairs of the older and slightly bigger cabinet (but still under 6" wide) Energy RC-30 speakers - I spent a while auditioning them, and they outperformed much bigger bookshelf speakers - not to mention, they look great.

The only true downside is the lack of deep bass - but you won't get that with any tiny speaker.  The mid-bass is quite full - so it sounds like the speakers have tons of bass until you have a song that goes really low (Massive Attack's Mezzanine is a good example).   But any equivalent speaker is going to be the same or worse.

So yeah, I'd recommend the Energies.  I'd expect these to have a little less bass/mid-bass based on the cabinet size though.

A class T amp would go perfectly with them - the Dayton DTA-100a has plenty of power.  Throw in a cheap DAC if you need it too (PC as a source).

P.S.  I have to admit that those Tannoy DC4's look great!

Oct 15, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #8 of 26
 Thanks for your help, guys. It looks like the RC-Mini and Dayton amp is exactly what I'm looking for. Does anyone know where to buy the Energy's in Canada? The only place I can find is Futureshop but their price is too high.

EDIT: It looks like the Dayton amp is out of stock until November 24th and I'm gonna need something before that. Do you guys have any other suggestions for similarly priced amps? As long as it's got the power to drive the RC-Minis nice and loud and do them some justice SQ wise, it should be what I'm looking for.

Oct 15, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #9 of 26
The lower powered Dayton DTA-1 (15 WPC instead of 50) is probably enough too - and as a bonus it can also run on 8 AA batteries.

15 WPC will still leave you a peak of around 89.5 dB at 30 feet - assuming they're in the corners of the room.  I calculated that here.

That should be plenty loud - about 5 dB less than the 50 WPC amp, which would provide about a 50% increase in perceived loudness (About 10 dB results in a perceived doubling of loudness even thought ten times as much sonic energy is being experienced.)

Oct 15, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #10 of 26

Quote:
 Thanks for your help, guys. It looks like the RC-Mini and Dayton amp is exactly what I'm looking for. Does anyone know where to buy the Energy's in Canada? The only place I can find is Futureshop but their price is too high.

EDIT: It looks like the Dayton amp is out of stock until November 24th and I'm gonna need something before that. Do you guys have any other suggestions for similarly priced amps? As long as it's got the power to drive the RC-Minis nice and loud and do them some justice SQ wise, it should be what I'm looking for.

I'm in the same boat as you and I've been looking at the Topping TP20 amp on ebay....http://cgi.ebay.com/MINI-TOPPING-TP20-MK2-TP-20MKII-TA2020-STEREO-Amplifier-/110575083356.  You may want to check it out.

Oct 16, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #12 of 26
Who not roll your own?  Mark Audio CHR-70s available from Madisound for $37 each, paired with the Dayton .25 cu ft cabs at Parts Express for $95 per pair.  Use a 1.5" x 4" port tube, and youll have a 4" full range driver that goes from 45Hz to 20KHz in that small enclosure.
smily_headphones1.gif
  The cabs come pre-made, all you have to do is cut the baffle.

Oct 19, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #14 of 26
I think I'll go listen to the M-00 sometime soon, as I'm a fan of NHT and have a retailer pretty close to me. 

A2s are a little under budget for me, although I have listened to them and thought they sounded pretty damn good for their size.

As for an amp for the RC-Mini: I don't want to get the weaker Dayton amp for fear that it might not be loud enough to fill a large classroom, especially since that is really the only criteria I've been given for these speakers (other than their size). I need something that's on the books and can be bought from a reputable vendor, not off of ebay. Do you guys have any suggestions, or anywhere to point me? I'm really at a loss for where to start looking for the amp...

Oct 19, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #15 of 26

Quote:
I think I'll go listen to the M-00 sometime soon, as I'm a fan of NHT and have a retailer pretty close to me. 

A2s are a little under budget for me, although I have listened to them and thought they sounded pretty damn good for their size.

As for an amp for the RC-Mini: I don't want to get the weaker Dayton amp for fear that it might not be loud enough to fill a large classroom, especially since that is really the only criteria I've been given for these speakers (other than their size). I need something that's on the books and can be bought from a reputable vendor, not off of ebay. Do you guys have any suggestions, or anywhere to point me? I'm really at a loss for where to start looking for the amp...

I don't think you really understand how little 5dB is.

89.5dB - what the little 15-watter should be able to reach in a big classroom - is just shy of the 90dB or so bar at which prolonged exposure will cause permanent hearing damage.  You don't want the kids having hearing loss or even the potential for it at the school's hands, do you? (i.e. 89.5dB is plenty loud!)

Another example:  My 89dB sensitivity Klipsch KG 2 speakers play loud enough with my 20 watt Marantz 1040 integrated amp to get noise complaints in my apartment in the early evening (6 PM).  The sound quality is a bit lacking from both (well, the Marantz headphone jack is great), but there is no want for power.  FYI, in the same conditions as the RC Minis (88dB sensitivity) and the 15 watt Dayton, the Klipsch/Marantz only get approximately 2.3dB louder - which is right on the threshold of most people's ability to even perceive a difference in volume.

But if you don't believe me - and you probably won't, because I've had people complain of the same issues before - then get one of the sub-$300 receivers available new.  They won't be nearly as high quality sound-wise as the Dayton (despite the plastic) and they'll cost a whole lot more.

If you insist, I'd go for the Harman Kardon HK 3390 (a better deal) or the Denon DRA-297 - either one will be a step above the Yamaha, Onkyo, Teac, etc. receivers available for under $300.  The quality integrated amps (Cambridge Audio, NAD, Marantz) that will be on par with the Dayton will cost $350 and up - probably out of your budget.

But do the school a favor and buy the adequate but under 1/5 the price Dayton, won't you?  I'm sure the remaining money would be better spent towards some extra A/V equipment instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back