Tinnitus
Oct 24, 2007 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Anarchy965

500+ Head-Fier
I was at a concert Sunday (Mustard Plug & Voodoo Glow Skulls in Pompton Lakes), but I forgot my earplugs. I stayed anyway (4.5 hrs.) and ended up with some real bad tinnitus afterwards. It finally started to wear off and has gotten much less noticeable (I can hear fine today) but I can still hear the ringing in my ears when It's very quiet. But while it was bad it was BAD. When it was quiet in my friend's house yesterday, the ringing got so loud I couldn't hear myself think. I'll never forget my earplugs again.

Oct 24, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #2 of 11
Unfortunately, you've likely done some permanent damage to your ears. Hopefully, it's not alot of damage, but such damage is cumulative, so you're absolutely right to appreciate the importance of earplugs.

Oct 24, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #3 of 11
You'll never hear silence again.

Have a nice day
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 25, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll never hear silence again.

Have a nice day
smily_headphones1.gif

The ringing itself was only temporary. It's gone away already, even in total silence. I probably have done a tiny bit of damage to my hearing though.

Oct 25, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchy965 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ringing itself was only temporary. It's gone away already, even in total silence. I probably have done a tiny bit of damage to my hearing though.

Congratz!

Unfortunately I have to live with a mild case of tinnitus in my left ear and I can't sleep at night unless I have the fan on low (or something to mask it).

And people have done much worse to their ears. Mowing your lawn w/o protection for years may seem harmless but it is far worse then going to the occasional concert.

Oct 25, 2007 at 6:30 AM Post #7 of 11
Mowing your lawn while going to the occasional concert is something that should particularly be avoided.

Oct 28, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #8 of 11
A little wad of Kleenex or tp will always do in a pinch. Not as good as real earplugs maybe, but attenuating by even 9db at 10k is going to make a big difference -- far better than doing nothing.

BTW, has anyone tried the Earloves?

Oct 28, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mowing your lawn w/o protection for years may seem harmless but it is far worse then going to the occasional concert.

My push-reel seems pretty harmless, but I can't speak for the unnecessary noise, pollution, and consumption of fossil fuel caused by the mowers of all my neighbors.

Oct 28, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #10 of 11
oh man, good thing it went away. I have a mild case that won't go away. It doesn't get so loud that I can't hear myself think, but stupid decisions when I was a teenager led to this ringing I have a lot of the time.
mad.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #11 of 11
Does absolute silence exist in human hearing?
I mean, even in dead quiet rooms I expect that there is some sort of noise (not counting your breathing) or do I see this wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back