TINNITUS KILLING ME... Low Volume - High Impact?
Jul 25, 2014 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

NeedMoarCans

New Head-Fier
I was curious about this the other day as my horribly old sennheisers are
taking their toll on my ears with having to drive them so hard to hear any
bass or impact, I'm starting to destroy my hearing.

Listening and producing music that's suppose to be listened to loud
(ie. electronic music in clubs) at low volume is almost pointless and
I wanted to hear if anyone has any knowledge and experience into the
matter, and what amp and headphone combos make high volume listening
a non-issue?

Maybe that's the case with any headphone+amp above a certain price
range and I'm just saying stupid ****? :)

Any feedback appreciated folks..

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 8
I hope people with more experience in actual music production experience can produce some helpful comment but speaking based on an enthusiast who is after a setup that mimics a recording engineering studio my finding tells me that amp to go to is Phonitor amp and the UIEM to go to is ER4S and the CIEM to go to is UERM. 

I do not quiet understand this part "Listening and producing music that's suppose to be listened to loud (ie. electronic music in clubs) at low volume is almost pointless"
I believe with a good seal and a capable IEM/Headphone we do not need to crank the volume all the way high to make it perform linearly (by that i mean the bass and mid and high all perform on the same level). I assume one would a need a neutral setup that will allow the mixer to color it they way the want not to compensate for the sound they are hearing based on their setup only yo realise on different setup it sounds completely off.

PS: I thought I had tinnitus a while back when one day I got up with partial loss of hearing on one ear with loud buzzing, it turned out to be a hair touching my ear-drum. After than I started taking extreme attention to my hearing.

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #3 of 8
Tinnitus can be caused by many reasons actually. I heard high blood pressure can cause it.

Loud volume is always bad but you can always choose headphones with extreme isolation and enough bass that pumps up to your need without going too loud. Also make sure the headphone does not clamp too hard. I got a very loud tinnitus a few days ago because I got clamped by something very badly. It's still recovering but I have come to the conclusion to not listen to heavily clamped headphone.

You can look into the Sennheiser Momentum or Denon AH-D600.

Hope it helps
Billson :)

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #4 of 8
  I hope people with more experience in actual music production experience can produce some helpful comment but speaking based on an enthusiast who is after a setup that mimics a recording engineering studio my finding tells me that amp to go to is Phonitor amp and the UIEM to go to is ER4S and the UIEM to go to is UERM. 

I do not quiet understand this part "Listening and producing music that's suppose to be listened to loud (ie. electronic music in clubs) at low volume is almost pointless"
I believe with a good seal and a capable IEM/Headphone we do not need to crank the volume all the way high to make it perform linearly (by that i mean the bass and mid and high all perform on the same level). I assume one would a need a neutral setup that will allow the mixer to color it they way the want not to compensate for the sound they are hearing based on their setup only yo realise on different setup it sounds completely off.

PS: I thought I had tinnitus a while back when one day I got up with partial loss of hearing on one ear with loud buzzing, it turned out to be a hair touching my ear-drum. After than I started taking extreme attention to my hearing.

Yeah it's tough...

But regarding the part about it being meant to be listened to loud, I was referring to the shrunk dynamic range that actually makes it louder at the same volume setting and in the context of where it is listened to most often (festivals, clubs, arenas) it's simply being abused.

"that amp to go to is Phonitor amp and the UIEM to go to is ER4S and the UIEM to go to is UERM. "

Can you explain this? You use UIEM twice and I don't know the jargon yet, so I'm very confused.

Thanks for the input, interested in hearing more.

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #5 of 8
Tinnitus can be caused by many reasons actually. I heard high blood pressure can cause it.

Loud volume is always bad but you can always choose headphones with extreme isolation and enough bass that pumps up to your need without going too loud. Also make sure the headphone does not clamp too hard. I got a very loud tinnitus a few days ago because I got clamped by something very badly. It's still recovering but I have come to the conclusion to not listen to heavily clamped headphone.

You can look into the Sennheiser Momentum or Denon AH-D600.

Hope it helps
Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the possible negative contributers, I'll keep it in mind.

I was actually looking at Audeze LCD-2.2/Beyer T1/AD2k as the solution to my loudness/tinnitus problem as I hopefully don't have to crank them as much...

I'm not sure I get what you mean with "clamping" and "isolation" as they seem to contradict one another.  Are you talking about the pressure around the ear or the closeness of the speakers or the accumulative waves in the gap between your ears and the speaker?

Thank you.

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #6 of 8
  Yeah it's tough...

But regarding the part about it being meant to be listened to loud, I was referring to the shrunk dynamic range that actually makes it louder at the same volume setting and in the context of where it is listened to most often (festivals, clubs, arenas) it's simply being abused.

"that amp to go to is Phonitor amp and the UIEM to go to is ER4S and the UIEM to go to is UERM. "

Can you explain this? You use UIEM twice and I don't know the jargon yet, so I'm very confused.

Thanks for the input, interested in hearing more.

My bad, I meant to say universal IEM will be ER4S with a good seal it has great bass detail and if the bass sounds good on those it will sound great on loud speakers. It will struggle on those busy detail section but it is really a single IEM and I personally enjoy for trance work like the search for sunrise series. I have read a few people produce live using the Custom IEM UERM made by ultimate ears.

So UIEM stands for Universal in ear monitor which requires basically tip rolling till you get the right fit where as custom in ear monitors (CIEM) which requires you getting your ear impression done and having them sent to the company of your choice to make one for you custom fit for your ear canal shape.

The amp I recommend you is this amp:

The custom IEM i talked about is this:

here is a great detail review of it
http://rinchoi.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/ultimate-ears-custom-in-ear-reference.html

The Universal in ear monitor I talked about is this:

http://rinchoi.blogspot.com.au/2010/05/how-deep-do-you-insert-you-er4.html

Jul 26, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #7 of 8
  I was curious about this the other day as my horribly old sennheisers are
taking their toll on my ears with having to drive them so hard to hear any
bass or impact, I'm starting to destroy my hearing.

Listening and producing music that's suppose to be listened to loud
(ie. electronic music in clubs) at low volume is almost pointless and
I wanted to hear if anyone has any knowledge and experience into the
matter, and what amp and headphone combos make high volume listening
a non-issue?

Maybe that's the case with any headphone+amp above a certain price
range and I'm just saying stupid ****? :)

Any feedback appreciated folks..

I'm sure you know about the loudness war in the recording industry that is slowly but surely destroying the entire premise of sound quality. If you want louder volume, increase it during playback - don't artificially make the recording louder!

As for headphones, even (or actually, especially) ones with a more relaxed sound and very low distortion can damage your hearing if you're not careful. For example, in this review of the STAX SR-007, Ken Rockwell admonished:

It's easy to crank them to insane levels and love it. Be careful if you're new to these: you'll thoroughly enjoy damaging your hearing, leaving you with permanent ringing in your ears, making high-fidelity something you'll never be able to enjoy again.

If you want bass and impact, I recommend planar magnetic headphones.

Jul 26, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for the possible negative contributers, I'll keep it in mind.

I was actually looking at Audeze LCD-2.2/Beyer T1/AD2k as the solution to my loudness/tinnitus problem as I hopefully don't have to crank them as much...

I'm not sure I get what you mean with "clamping" and "isolation" as they seem to contradict one another.  Are you talking about the pressure around the ear or the closeness of the speakers or the accumulative waves in the gap between your ears and the speaker?

Thank you.

The headphones you mentioned above are all open backed. Definitely not ideal for club etc and LCD need big amps xD

As for clamping and isolation, they don't really contradict, and the H6 proofed it nicely. It does not clamps hard but isolates (cancel out noise) extremely well. Then again, it depends on the material used for the pads as well when it comes to isolation. If the pads are velour and has tons of holes, no matter how hard you clamp it, you won't get as much isolation as pleather or leather

Hope it helps
Billson :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back