Tin HiFi Impressions Thread
Jan 9, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #361 of 673
A pair of T2 Plus and T4 have arrived here. While both have a good sound I really have to say how much better the ergonomics of the T2+ are. They are much easier to insert for me, the cable does better move around the ears and the actually always seal when I insert them. That's probably enough reason for me to keep the T2+ and return the T4.

I agree. Even if the T2+ isn’t the top of the line TinHifi as far as technical ability or driver tech, the fact that they actually made it effortlessly fit human ear is a win-win in my book.

Jan 9, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #362 of 673
Looks like TinHifi is smartening up on ergonomics. The new T1 Plus (?) I think follows in the lines of the T2+, having good fit.

In fact, the T1+ seems even more 'populist' in build and tuning than the T2+, for better or for worse.

Other than ergonomics, I do hope Tin can fix their MMCX connectors and make them more reliable. Or at least move towards 2 pin connectors like the Tin T1 Plus.

My Tin T2 Plus MMCX spins like a weather vane (too loose) and has intermittent sound cut out. It has very good tuning, but is let down by QC. A few of my friends also have this MMCX issue with the Tin T2 Plus and Tin T4 (and this doesn't seem to be an isolated incident, as there's lots of MMCX complaints on audio forums too for these 2 models).

Jan 9, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #363 of 673
Other than ergonomics, I do hope Tin can fix their MMCX connectors and make them more reliable. Or at least move towards 2 pin connectors like the Tin T1 Plus.

My Tin T2 Plus MMCX spins like a weather vane (too loose) and has intermittent sound cut out. It has very good tuning, but is let down by QC. A few of my friends also have this MMCX issue with the Tin T2 Plus and Tin T4 (and this doesn't seem to be an isolated incident, as there's lots of MMCX complaints on audio forums too for these 2 models).
Me too, the same problem with T2 Plus MMCX.

Jan 9, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #364 of 673

Hope u can get a refund or returns! Too bad my set was from a third-party seller in china and the returns cost will probably cost the same (if not more) than the Tin T2 plus itself

Jan 9, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #365 of 673

Yeah, it's too bad I wrote what I was saying late at night.

Because I forgot to say the other part concerning the T1 Plus.

Not only does it have improved fit, like the T2 Plus. But it has moved to a 2-pin connector. This is what we all wanted to see with the T2 Plus, and it is a logical next step. So hopefully future T2+ and T4-like IEMs come with the ergonomic housings and also the 2-pin connectors that we now see in the T1 Plus.

Jan 9, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #366 of 673

You just have to adjust the tension of the mmcx. Easy as pie :)

In fact, someone in the comments of that video fixed his TinHifi T3 that way:

E7A85677-A331-4461-9377-107050888F2D.jpeg

It’s actually more common than you think. It’s not a QC problem, just normal manufacturing tolerances. A multitude of companies make the mmcx sockets, even more make the plugs, others make the cables. So if this one is 1/1thousands of an inch of off compared to that one, that is within normal manufacturing tolerances.

10 seconds with a small screwdriver and you’re all set!

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #367 of 673
You just have to adjust the tension of the mmcx. Easy as pie :)

In fact, someone in the comments of that video fixed his TinHifi T3 that way:

It’s actually more common than you think. It’s not a QC problem, just normal manufacturing tolerances. A multitude of companies make the mmcx sockets, even more make the plugs, others make the cables. So if this one is 1/1thousands of an inch of off compared to that one, that is within normal manufacturing tolerances.

10 seconds with a small screwdriver and you’re all set!

Thanks for the headsup, I have tried the screwdriver mod as you have advised and it does work. But I feel as a consumer we shouldn't be needing to jerry rig stuff. Honestly, having owned or auditioned close to 50 IEMs/earbuds which utilize MMCX, most of my MMCX problems come after frequent changing of the cable numerous times. I understand MMCX is not meant for frequent swapping cables, but for the Tin T2 Plus, the issues started right OOTB when trying to connect the MMCX the first time. Laymen not so deep into this hobby will probably not know how to fix this, and there's so many reports of Tin MMCX issues in the audio forums, I'm not sure if I'm biased, but this seems more than other brands?

I have spoken to a custom maker last year when trying to shell some customs, he says that even among MMCX connectors, they range from very low quality to higher quality ones (which of course affect the price), so I do suspect the ones in the Tin T2 Plus are perhaps not the higher end ones. Understandable that for budget gear, costs needs to be saved somewhere. Tin's tuning is generally good, so I do hope they can at least pay attention to these MMCX for their future releases, just invest a bit in higher end MMCX or perhaps get their workers to test the connection prior to packaging it. Or better still, go for 2 pin connectors.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #368 of 673
Some evidence for the cable believers:

I was having MMCX issues with my T2+, so I decided to use a different cable in order to test the connections.

I took a new NiceHCK 8-core copper cable I had lying around [the one with the chin slider]. It was meant for my CNT-1, but whatever.

It was easy to get a solid connection from the NiceHCK cable to the T2+ housing, so I really drove it in there.

There were differences in the sound, at least to me. With the stock cable, I had some difficulty hearing subtle bass information - quiet accompaniments that I was used to in some tracks. With the stock, it was there, but was faint. You really had to listen for it.

With the NiceHCK cable, the bass accompaniment was more prominent. To see that I wasn't imagining it, I switched back to stock, and the faint accompaniment was back again.

The stock SPC seems to give sweeter treble, at the cost of reduced prominence of the more subtle bass information. Maybe it's just an issue with MMCX connection.

I went back to the SPC, because I think it looks more aesthetically consistent in public. But it seems as if there is a slight difference.

Jan 9, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #369 of 673
Some evidence for the cable believers:

I was having MMCX issues with my T2+, so I decided to use a different cable in order to test the connections.

I took a new NiceHCK 8-core copper cable I had lying around [the one with the chin slider]. It was meant for my CNT-1, but whatever.

It was easy to get a solid connection from the NiceHCK cable to the T2+ housing, so I really drove it in there.

There were differences in the sound, at least to me. With the stock cable, I had some difficulty hearing subtle bass information - quiet accompaniments that I was used to in some tracks. With the stock, it was there, but was faint. You really had to listen for it.

With the NiceHCK cable, the bass accompaniment was more prominent. To see that I wasn't imagining it, I switched back to stock, and the faint accompaniment was back again.

The stock SPC seems to give sweeter treble, at the cost of reduced prominence of the more subtle bass information. Maybe it's just an issue with MMCX connection.

I went back to the SPC, because I think it looks more aesthetically consistent in public. But it seems as if there is a slight difference.

Do u have a measurement kit to test cable resistances among these 2 cables?

I know this cable debate is never gonna end, but I have a small hypothesis that sometimes the difference we perceive for sonic differences among different cables may be due to the stock cable having higher resistances than some aftermarket ones. Perhaps for highly sensitive IEMs, even a slight difference in cable resistance may skew the sound signature?

Jan 12, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #371 of 673
Interesting finding: I was listening back-and-forth between about 6-8 different IEMs, and the TinHifi T4 seemed tuned closest to my Edifier 1280T desktop speaker.

Both in terms of tone/timbre and soundstage, T4 was unusually close to the 1280T.

The other IEMs did not have the same timbre. In comparison to the BLONs, HZSound Heart Mirror, EDX, and Starsea, the T4 sounded 'sweetest,' and it obviously wasn't as bassy as the BLONs.

The T4 provides a pleasant warm-neutral timbre, and a soundstage that carefully separates the elements across the width. For some genres, that is just what you're looking for.

I now see what people mean by the T4's "average" soundstage. I had been critical of it, but it's okay. Just not as wide as the Edifier desktop speakers provide. The BL-01 sounds more 'closed in' for sure. Good directionality, but the BL-01 is 'closed in.' [Starsea has a greater soundstage.]

T2+ vs T4 Timbre

I also listened to the T2+, and I think the T2+ had a more sterile tuning. Like people say, it's very safe, but lacks the 'sweetness' of the T4.

So I have to agree with those who said the T4 is better tuned than the T2+, even though the T2+ is reasonable and inoffensive. T4 is just livelier.

TinHifi could make a "T4 Plus" that's simply a T4 in the T2+ housing. T4 has great sound and doesn't need changing, but it needs a new housing.

So what's with the tuning? Was T4 "Harman target?" Are the Edifiers also? I'm now interested in what their tuning goal was.

-------------

EDIT: I suppose you could argue that the T4 isn't really 'warm-neutral,' it's more 'bright-neutral.' I don't think that the T4 is painfully bright, but brightness is common for TinHifi.

You could say that the T4 is neutral-bright with a Harman influence.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #372 of 673
Interesting finding: I was listening back-and-forth between about 6-8 different IEMs, and the TinHifi T4 seemed tuned closest to my Edifier 1280T desktop speaker.

Both in terms of tone/timbre and soundstage, T4 was unusually close to the 1280T.

The other IEMs did not have the same timbre. In comparison to the BLONs, HZSound Heart Mirror, EDX, and Starsea, the T4 sounded 'sweetest,' and it obviously wasn't as bassy as the BLONs.

The T4 provides a pleasant warm-neutral timbre, and a soundstage that carefully separates the elements across the width. For some genres, that is just what you're looking for.

I now see what people mean by the T4's "average" soundstage. I had been critical of it, but it's okay. Just not as wide as the Edifier desktop speakers provide. The BL-01 sounds more 'closed in' for sure. Good directionality, but the BL-01 is 'closed in.' [Starsea has a greater soundstage.]

T2+ vs T4 Timbre

I also listened to the T2+, and I think the T2+ had a more sterile tuning. Like people say, it's very safe, but lacks the 'sweetness' of the T4.

So I have to agree with those who said the T4 is better tuned than the T2+, even though the T2+ is reasonable and inoffensive. T4 is just livelier.

TinHifi could make a "T4 Plus" that's simply a T4 in the T2+ housing. T4 has great sound and doesn't need changing, but it needs a new housing.

So what's with the tuning? Was T4 "Harman target?" Are the Edifiers also? I'm now interested in what their tuning goal was.

Can't wait for this one...

IMG_20210113_065846.jpg

Jan 17, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #374 of 673
I'm looking for an upgrade cable for my T4. I'm looking for something with a balanced sound, great details (clear notes and clear separation of each instrument especially when there are many things going on in the track), soundstage, and good weight to the sound. Personally, I prefer a neutral sound signature. I listen to a wide variety of genres, but as of right now, a lot of soundtracks/musicals. I was looking at the NiceHCK Litz 4N Pure Silver Cable 8 core. Has anyone tried them? Are there any other suggestions that you would recommend.

Jan 18, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #375 of 673
I'm looking for an upgrade cable for my T4. I'm looking for something with a balanced sound, great details (clear notes and clear separation of each instrument especially when there are many things going on in the track), soundstage, and good weight to the sound. Personally, I prefer a neutral sound signature. I listen to a wide variety of genres, but as of right now, a lot of soundtracks/musicals. I was looking at the NiceHCK Litz 4N Pure Silver Cable 8 core. Has anyone tried them? Are there any other suggestions that you would recommend.

You could also consider the KBear limpid or Tri Through cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back