time to widen my horizon part 2 - hopefully i can come to a conclusion
Sep 27, 2006 at 1:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

taran

100+ Head-Fier
well after quite abit of debate at my first thread over which headphones to get i bring you part to where i near closer to getting the headphones for me.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=199536

original thread if anyone wants to have a quick read.

basically i really wanted some grados but as im in the uk, i dont think thats very feasable for me as they just cost toooo much here.

i also considered the sennheiser hd 555, however this forum only has little appreachiation for them.

ive now moved onto thinking about getting the sennheiser hd 595.

at the moment i will be running streight out of my mp3 player.

this is the revised list -

*AKG K81DJ (around £40, ~$75)
*sennheiser hd 595 (around £90, ~$170)
*alessandro ms1 or grado sr-125 ( around £65 seeing as i would have to import so take into account duty tax, ~$123)
*any other suggestions
*give up looking

thats the cheapest price ive found for hd 595's and it happens to be on ebay.

but yea, considering i have shure e4's and currently wont be using an amp.

ive got like 6 days until the sennheiser hd 595 auction finishes so its decision time.

Sep 27, 2006 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 12
im also leaning towards the hd 595, mainly because i managed to find them for under 100 so i think thats the best deal for sound and price.

anyone care to try to swing my vote.

4 days left until the ebay auction for new 595's finishes.

Sep 27, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #4 of 12
I bought some 595s recently (paid £95 incl P&P from Rankhour, they're now £103 incl P&P - try dealtime or pricerunner to find the cheapest, the prices do seem to change regularly). They work very well directly from a Samsung YP-Z5. I also have a PA2V2, but I struggle to notice any difference when using the amp (so I've ordered a Xenos X0HA-REP
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
). I also have some PX100s which are pretty good for using during exercise (the pads seem to tolerate being washed) or for carrying in the car if I'm away from home - these sound pretty good for the price.

Sep 27, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #5 of 12
If you're going for a portable headphone, I wouldn't get an open headphone period. If you're going for a home one, I'd probably go for the HD595 of those choices. Make sure you get the lower impedance version, though.

Sep 27, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #6 of 12
Be very carefull if you get the MS-1.

George Alessandro adds a very tennacious upgraditus bug in each Grado pizza box he ships his phones in.

....he packs a small bug in MS-1 containers, and a BIGGER one with the MS2i!!

Just be carefull; that's all.

.....the anti-venom ships with MS-Pro.
rs1smile.gif

Sep 27, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #7 of 12
i was thinking about using my new purchase for outdoor use but after searching and looking into headphones, i think my shure e4's will be best suited for outdoors use and so thats the reason i started looking at bigger headphones e.g sennheiser hd series etc.

ive tried my bros px100's which also gave me the push to try a bigger headphone to give my music some more diverse sound from the narrow sounding e4.

oh and i didnt quite understand that last post about the alessandros and bug?

thanks a bunch anyways.

looking promising for the hd 595's i have to say. 50ohm version ofcourse.

Sep 28, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by taran

oh and i didnt quite understand that last post about the alessandros and bug?

Ah...the "bug"!

The "upgrade-itus" bug is that mythical critter that bites many of us right after we've bought a new piece of audio gear, especially if what we bought was not the most expensive or the best of that companies products. It causes us to want to buy new and hopefully better gear, right away!! Right now!

I'd like to think that there is something more that makes me want to buy better Allesandro headphones. So I'm wondering if Alessandro is packing a stronger variety of "upgraditus bug" in the packaging that he sends Alessandro headphones in. And the packaging is the same "Pizza-Box"(Looking container)that all Grados' ship in.

Pesky "upgraditus bug"!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2006 at 9:26 AM Post #9 of 12
oh ok, i understand what you mean now.

normally i wouldnt intend to spend so much, but i think its more economic if i do. sure i wont end up with a wide range of headphones, but if im happy with what i get, i wont need to upgrade for a long long time.

like my earbuds, i wont upgrade them as i am happy with them, my e4's im happy with, and i just need some headphones now too. but then againt theres a difference between open and closed headphones so i think there might still be space for another one. well have to see....

Sep 28, 2006 at 9:53 AM Post #10 of 12
There is an ebay seller of sennheiser headphones based in the uk. They give REALLY good prices. The 595 is 80 pounds and the 650 is 170. The seller is called electromonster.

I just wanted to say that i have not tried to buy anything through them as i am not a great fan of senn. So i dont know any more about them.

Sep 28, 2006 at 10:25 AM Post #11 of 12
Hmmm...found the HD595 boring and uninvolving with any genre but classical, Jazz, Softrock etc. K81 isolates well, but it's the other extreme to the 595 - only for electronica, hiphop, house etc.

My vote for the MS1 thus. Simply the best can under 100$ IMO. Does a great job with anything but the Tchaikowsky sort of classical.

Sep 28, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #12 of 12
i cannot find that ebay seller, if you got the link could you send it please.

cheapest i found them on ebay is £90

i just think the alessandro and grados are too hard for me to get without paying an arm an leg for them which is why i am kind of ruling them out. even on ebay im seeing sr-60's for like £60 or so! i think thats flippin expensive for the base grados.

i keep looking foward to getting hd 595's but then comments like that put me off.lol. i dont wana get the dj ones and end up wanting more! i just cant let that happen as it will pee me off so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back