Time to Upgrade.
Dec 21, 2010 at 3:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

reedzkee

New Head-Fier
Been lurking for a while, finally time to post!

So I tripped over the chord of my 5 year old HD595's the other day so the cable needs to be replaced. They were already in pretty bad shape having been dropped many times (the right side can is cracked), so I'm going to send them to Sennheiser for repair and I'm guessing they will just replace them. The situation has sparked some interest in upgrading.

In addition to the repair, I would either like to get a dedicated headphone amp, or a whole new set of cans, probably the HD600's.
Right now, I power the HD595's with an old Kenwood KC-105 Pre-Amp that goes to a portable PA2V2 headphone amp. It gets plenty loud, but the sound quality is merely adequate. I used to use the matching Kenwood Amp, and before that a Marantz Receiver from the 70's, but both have bit the dust. I occasionally listen to them in my bedroom with a Denon AVR-1909 Receiver and this is considerably better.

I have between 200-300 bucks to spend. Do you think upgrading my amp would yield a bigger performance gain versus getting a new set of cans, like the HD600's, or maybe ATH-AD900's ?

I'm leaning towards a dedicated headphone amp for the repaired HD595's, such as the Little Dot Mk III. I'm pretty fed up with using receivers and amps I find in my parents attic.

I'm switching my major to Sound Design (SCAD), and will need something highly accurate down the line, which is the main reason I want something like the HD600's. As for music listening at home, I mainly listen to electronic music like Daft Punk and Massive Attack or Indie Rock like Arcade Fire, Grizzly Bear, and Beach House.

Dec 21, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 10
Ultrasone sounds awesome in electronic music.

Dec 21, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 10
Why in the world would the OP want to get a M50 if he already has a HD595? His looking for a UPGRADE, not a downgrade. 

To the OP: You have to consider that headphones like the HD600 would require an amplifier to work at its full potential.

Quote:
M50's. 
They're good for the price and perform well electronic music. 

Dec 21, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
Why in the world would the OP want to get a M50 if he already has a HD595? His looking for a UPGRADE, not a downgrade. 

To the OP: You have to consider that headphones like the HD600 would require an amplifier to work at its full potential.

Quote:
M50's. 

Upgrade doesn't mean spending more necessarily, you may want to read this. 
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/505454/hd595-s-vs-ath-m50
M50's are superior. 

Dec 21, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #6 of 10
I HAVE tried both, and i greatly prefer the 595's. That said, the OP is willing to spend $200-300, why would you even suggest to him the M50s, when he can get something better at that price point?

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
M50's. 

Upgrade doesn't mean spending more necessarily, you may want to read this. 
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/505454/hd595-s-vs-ath-m50
M50's are superior. 

Dec 21, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
I HAVE tried both, and i greatly prefer the 595's. That said, the OP is willing to spend $200-300, why would you even suggest to him the M50s, when he can get something better at that price point?

Well, thats in your case. Everyone have different ears. 

Anyways, to the OP...take a look at the Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro. 

Dec 21, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 10
So nobody thinks I'm better off getting a decent amp first ?

Would something like a Matrix M-Stage be a considerable improvement over the amplification of my Denon AVR-1909 receiver ? What about Getting the Matrix mini-i, later using it solely as a DAC and getting a better amp ?

I'm looking to get something that will remain part of a better setup. I want an upgrade that I will continue to use in the future, but will also yield me the most benefit right now.

If I got something like the Matrix M-Stage, would it be enough to power something like HD600 or HD650's down the line ?

I'm not concerned with ambient noise, so I don't need closed designs.

Dec 21, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #9 of 10
What is your source?  You may be better to consider a DAC or an amp/DAC combo, especially if you already have an amp that seems to be working well enough for now. 

Dec 21, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #10 of 10
Source is an old as crap Audigy 2 Zs Platinum Pro, which I've never liked. I think you're right about the DAC. I didn't even know what a DAC was until today. I only began to research when i broke my HD595's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back