Time to upgrade - suggestions?
Jan 31, 2006 at 7:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mektarus

500+ Head-Fier
Well, my Cmoy has served me well but I think it's time to try something a little better. Unfortunately, the family keeps insisting on eating everday so I need to keep it in the $100 - $125 range. I know that's not much, but I've got faith in you guys. I listen to a myriad of music (rock, classical, jazz, trance, folk, etc) and have a variety of headphones that I use (HD590, SR80, HP890, KSC35/75, DT431, DT831) so, I need a good all around performer. I listen almost exclusively at home via my E-MU 0404 so portability is not essential.

I have read good things about the PA2V2 and PIMETA but I am currently leaning toward a Go-Vibe V4 w/AD8397 opamp although I have no real basis for that decision. I also know there are quite a few others out there in this price range so I welcome all suggestions and comments.

TIA

eggosmile.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mektarus
Well, it looks like a Go-Vibe v4 is now out of the equation.

Why is it out of the question? And what do you not like about your current amp? Alternately, what do you wish to gain from an upgrade?

Feb 1, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #6 of 12
Ok, fair questions, let's see...

Quote:

Originally Posted by replytoken
Why is it out of the question?

I'm sure everyone by now has heard that Norm has closed up shop once and for all. So, unless I can find one used (not likely for a while given the circumstanses) I will need to look elsewhere. But, I do have an amp, so I'm not desperate to buy a new one tomorrow. So, let's leave the Go-Vibe (all versions) in the mix.

Quote:

And what do you not like about your current amp?

Nothing, it's a great little amp. And if you've never experienced upgraditis, good for you. I want to try something else. And, I do have some higher impedence cans like the AKG K141M that could use a bit more power.

Quote:

Alternately, what do you wish to gain from an upgrade?

Again, more power. Plus, I'm sure that my little amp isn't the cleanest or most neutral sound ever. And maybe just to hear what other amps sound like.

So, let's go about this a bit differently. Can I get a better amp than a DIY Cmoy for under $120?

Feb 2, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

So, let's go about this a bit differently. Can I get a better amp than a DIY Cmoy for under $120?

IMO yes, a fine example is the Rockhopper PIMETA which is being sold through Ebay. Thayt is IMO a step above the Cmoy and it's derivatives:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PIMETA-Headphone...QQcmdZViewItem

Feb 2, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #8 of 12
I just found out about Norm today, so I apologize for the slow take-up on that one.

Regarding upgraditis, I am going through a case of it right now. It is like opening a Pandora's box! Change one thing and everything else comes into question. Sometimes I think things are better left alone.

I too jumped for more power and a cleaner sound, but I am not yet certain it is worth the cost. I like the amp I am trying out, but it is not perfect. Its transportable, not portable, and it eats batteries like I eat good BBQ. So, I have to ask myself - am I getting my money's worth out of it? I do not know the answer yet, as I am still getting used to it. It seems that upgrades seem to cost more and provide less as you move up the audio food chain.

I wish you all the best in your search.

Quote:

Ok, fair questions, let's see...

I'm sure everyone by now has heard that Norm has closed up shop once and for all. So, unless I can find one used (not likely for a while given the circumstanses) I will need to look elsewhere. But, I do have an amp, so I'm not desperate to buy a new one tomorrow. So, let's leave the Go-Vibe (all versions) in the mix.

Nothing, it's a great little amp. And if you've never experienced upgraditis, good for you. I want to try something else. And, I do have some higher impedence cans like the AKG K141M that could use a bit more power.

Again, more power. Plus, I'm sure that my little amp isn't the cleanest or most neutral sound ever. And maybe just to hear what other amps sound like.

Feb 2, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #9 of 12
I just got one of these on ebay for $74. Here is a link to one that is still being bid on. http://cgi.ebay.com/Rechargeable-Hea...QQcmdZViewItem

I don't know how good it is going to be, the parts seem interesting. I'll report back when it arrives if you are interested at that time.
580smile.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by vorlon1
I just got one of these on ebay for $74. Here is a link to one that is still being bid on. http://cgi.ebay.com/Rechargeable-Hea...QQcmdZViewItem

I don't know how good it is going to be, the parts seem interesting. I'll report back when it arrives if you are interested at that time.
580smile.gif

I was just looking at one of these earlier today. You're right, it looks very interesting. Please let us know how it sounds.

Feb 2, 2006 at 1:06 PM Post #11 of 12
Will do, it should take about 8 days to get here.

Feb 11, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #12 of 12
The unit arrived from Germany and after listening for a few hours, I think it is quite worth the money. I think it is quite neutral and clear sounding and I think it has a better sound presentation than either my PA2V or the Go-vibe 2 with the 8620 that I own. It has very good power reserves and will play louder than either of these amps, so will push higher impedance cans adequately. Comparing it to my micro, (unfair at more than 3 times the price) well it doesn't do horribly, but is not as refined or detailed or subtle in presentation, but it shouldn't be expected to be. I think it sounds good for the money, voices sound realistic and the classical piano and violin I listened to also sounded good, although this unit has a bit harsher treble than the Headrom Micro, it is not annoying and I probably would think it quite natural if I had not heard the type of smooth highs of the micro. It seems a very good value for the money.
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back