Time to upgrade.... ER-4S .... whats next?
Jan 8, 2005 at 6:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

cybertron

100+ Head-Fier
Well, its that time again i guess.... or rather, i've finally managed to save more than $5 this month so i want to try and add to my small collection of audio stuff. I currently have a pair of ER-4S canal phones and simply put... I LOVE them. I traded a pair of SR225s for these wonderful phones and I was blown away. I do love the Grado sound but i can complain about the comfort level of those after hours and hours of use. I also have a cmoy mint amp that i will be using or possibly upgrading as well.

My question is this, what are my next choices? I definitely want something that sounds as good as the Ety (if thats possible hehe, and i'm sure it is as i'm just starting out in my audiophile ventures). I do have a budget though, I want to try and stay under $300, $250 if at all possible. I would like something very comfortable and size really doesnt matter. My main source will be my computer or my iPod, as i dont own any cd's, just mp3's. I'm really not horrible picky with it comes to sound, well i guess I am but I just know that i got the Grado's and was wow'd, then I got the Ety's and I was wow'd then I got the cmoy and I was once again, wow'd. I think anything decent is going to be a step up, but my main reason for doing this is for easy of use at my computer/around the house. Granted the Ety's are great, but i cant hear jack when i have them in and arund the house that can be a bad thing.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jan 9, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 12
I think you need to read the thread Rank Your Top 10 and realize that the 4S's are generally VERY highly regarded and that upgrading your source/amp or otherwise is probably a much wiser step at this point.

If you want to move away from canal phones because of another issue that thread will also give you lots of ideas. However, if sound isolation is your main issue (like you illuded to) I think that any good set of cans are going to isolate you. Not as much as the Ety's but even w/ my Sennheisers on I miss most of what's going on around me. But then again I wouldn't want it any other way, I want to hear the music, nothing else.

HTH,

Nate

Jan 9, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
I think you need to read the thread Rank Your Top 10 and realize that the 4S's are generally VERY highly regarded and that upgrading your source/amp or otherwise is probably a much wiser step at this point.

If you want to move away from canal phones because of another issue that thread will also give you lots of ideas. However, if sound isolation is your main issue (like you illuded to) I think that any good set of cans are going to isolate you. Not as much as the Ety's but even w/ my Sennheisers on I miss most of what's going on around me. But then again I wouldn't want it any other way, I want to hear the music, nothing else.

HTH,

Nate

I guess I should edit my OP to be a little more clear, I would never and will never give up my Ety's lol. I love these things far to much. I really just want to get a pair of good cans for around the house, the Ety's are great but I am really looking for a pair of cans that i can just pop on and off and not have to get a good seal and what not. I will read that thread though thank you.

Jan 13, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #5 of 12
I too started with a pair of ER-4S. When the upgrade bug hit me, I opted for a pair of HD-600's. The two headphones have very compatible sounds and if you look around, is a fairly popular combo.

But, be warned... you should invest in third-party cables as the stock are not that great. Unfortunatly, the cables alone can put a significant second dent in your wallet.
600smile.gif

Jan 13, 2005 at 6:19 AM Post #6 of 12
I'd say unless you want a different sound signature, what you need is better sound out of your existing ones.

I don't read anywhere that you're planning to get an amp...
etysmile.gif

Jan 13, 2005 at 1:40 PM Post #7 of 12
a phone that seems to fit your needs (and your wallet) might be the akg 501. its sound signature is surprisingly similar to the etys (the lean, precise bass, the high resolution, the overall balanced, relaxed, clean sound). it is very open and among the most comfortable of all phones.

soundwise it is no "step up" from the etys, but you won't get THAT for 300$. it's a nice addition, though, if you like the ety sound.

Jan 13, 2005 at 2:23 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by cybertron
I guess I should edit my OP to be a little more clear, I would never and will never give up my Ety's lol. I love these things far to much. I really just want to get a pair of good cans for around the house, the Ety's are great but I am really looking for a pair of cans that i can just pop on and off and not have to get a good seal and what not. I will read that thread though thank you.

I just picked up a pristine set of HD600's (much like Dlow) and I'd have to say they are a very nice companion to my 4p's. But I've also got some amp upgrades planned. I've got a MINT mostly built and the parts are ordered to build a PIMETA. I'm hoping that the MINT will a satisfactory portable rig and that the PIMETA can be my stay at home piece.

There have been some decent deals on here recently for 580's in good condition for $120ish. 600's seem to be harder to find and are certainly more expensive for what is a debatable increase in performance. I read as many reviews as I could find and chose what I thought would work best for me.

Again, just 0.02 more.

Nate

Jan 13, 2005 at 2:23 PM Post #9 of 12
The suggestion for Sennheiser HD-600 or HD-650's is your best bet assuming they meet your taste in sound. It is possible to get the 650's delivered for about $300 if you shop on the internet hard enough. These headphones will be a significant upgrade over the ER-4S...they will give you a substantially richer sound with more bass and the soundstage will be a bit more realistic.

Regarding amps in your price range...be aware that some may add a low level of white noise to the sound which is not going to be a good thing.

Jan 13, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #10 of 12
thanks for all the replies guys, I do currently have a mint amp that I just love, but i do agree it probably isnt the best amp out there. I dont however, hear any white noise that you speak of. I did see the HD590's for 135$ on pcmall or somewhere, any comments on those? I definitely want to get another amp for home based listening to acompany my new cans, which ever i get. I love the Ety's, the mint amp, and my ipod for on the go, but its time for a sit down setup at home to compliment the Ety's and it sounds like the HD600's would do nicely but I'm wondering if the 590's would be just as well?

also I've searched breifly for the after market cable for those Senn cans, but I cant seem to find anything.

Also, what are the exact names of amps that would be a good choice? I see this SR-71 around and i love the look and hear its a great amp. I normally put all my money into computers but I think audio would be a much wiser choice seeing as I sold my Grado SR225's for the exact same price i bought them after having them almost a year. In the computer world, that would never happen and I can only see computers as a bottomless pit at this point.

So any more suggestions on home setups would be nice, i would love to hear a tube amp but I think that will have to wait for a meet, i dont think i will be able to afford one of those lol.

Jan 14, 2005 at 7:43 AM Post #11 of 12
I see from your posts that you are willing to spend on a better amp. Is that in your $300 budget? If yes, given the title of this thread is steping "up" from your Ety, I think you should forgo a new phone now and buy a $300 amp. You will be able to enjoy the improvements to your Etys for now and be set up to truely move up to a 650 later on. From what I have found, it seems that the 650/amp and cable rig is a step up while 600s may just be a step sideways. This is not my personal opinion as I have not heard the 650s and only the 600 unampled...nor have I even hear the ER4s yet. I do love the ER6is which I have.

I also read the 580s are very similar to the 600s and they can be had for ~$130 so you can fit the amp and the phones in and be set with your non-earcanal rig. Plus your Etys will probably not get jealous of the princely sum you'd have to pay for the 650 based rig.

rock on
etysmile.gif

Jan 14, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #12 of 12
I have a cmoy mint amp now, what would you guys suggest for the $200 range? I see the SR-71 is about $350 even used so i think thats going to have to be at a later date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back