Time to upgrade again
Nov 28, 2014 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

evernessince

Head-Fier
It would be pretty awesome if you guys could help me decide on some new cans.

Here's the details

Current Headphones - Audio Technia ATH-M50s
DAC - Xonar Essence STX (pretty much the best sound card / DAC I could find)

First off I'll begin by what I require at a minimum out of the new headphones.  The cable length should be around that of the audio technical ath-m50s (3.5m).  I cannot go too much shorter, I use the full length.  I would say 3.0m is the shortest I would want.  Furthermore, they need to be over the ear, closed.  A little sound leak is fine but preferably none.  My environment isn't loud but I do get allot of cars passing by. They have to be reasonably comfortable.  I wear glasses so it adds a bit more pressure under my ears.  The stock ath-m50s's were a bit rough for me so I installed velour pads. That's it for the requirements, now onto what I like and my usage of headphones.

I'm going to be using these for pretty much everything.  I game, listen to losses FLACs (Love me some classical piano and violin), watch movies/TV Shows, Listen to and repeat sentences for my language study, and record and play back audio clips I've made.  I'm sure I'm missing something but the point is I'm going to be doing pretty much everything under the sun with them. I do like cans with good bass response but I would sacrifice some of that if clarity were to be added to voices or music.  That's not to say I want Headphones with terrible sounding bass.   With that, I prefer to have accurate headphones.  By that I mean no turtle beach headsets that emphasize game sound and make everything else sound bad.  I want voices to sound real.  With that last point, this end what I'm looking for.

Price range - Up to $250 (These is some flex here).
I'm willing to buy used.

Headphones I've been looking at

PSB M4U 1 Over-Ear - Right at my max price.  The problem with this set is that the cable is far too long.  They have great reviews though.

SoundMAGIC HP100 - Same problem as above,  Cables too short.  I've heard they have excellent bass but suffer in the midrange.

Fischer Audio FA-003Ti - Good length cable.  The only problem is the lack of reviews.  They don't have a separate page on Head-fi about them so I don't know how this new model fairs against the FA-003.  What I have heard is very encouraging.

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 250 Ohms - This one is the most iffy on the list.  Reviews point to only a small upgrade over the ATH-M50s.  At least it comes with a very nice cable size.

Please feel free to recommend a pair I might have missed out on.  I appreciate the help in advance.

Nov 28, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #2 of 5
I would add AKG k550s to your list of things to look at.  Cable length and comfort are nice, and the whole thing is an overall step up from my ath m50s.

Hope it helps.

Nov 28, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #4 of 5
First time I've heard about 550s not doing too well in mid frequencies.  Mine perform very well all around and in mid frequencies especially.  You can usually find them used for very cheap, I got mine for $110 on ebay buy it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back