Time to move to Hi-Res DAP
Feb 27, 2016 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Signal2Noise

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey everyone. I've been out of the loop on DAPs for a while. I've been happy with my Zune HD (don't laugh) for the last several years but figure it's time for a device upgrade. Especially since the Zune software has gone the way of the Dodo bird, although it's still functional on Windows 10. For music files I 90% of the time still purchase physical CDs and rip via dbPoweramp to FLAC (for Sonos) and high bit-rate MP3 (for DAP) and 10% buy music via iTunes. I would like to listen to my FLAC collection on the new player. I occasionally use my iBasso headphone amp. Primarily use Westone 4 IEMs for music, Westone 3 at work for podcasts.

A couple of years ago the Sony ZX1 had caught my eye when it was announced. Was never available for me to purchase locally (Canada) so was always on the Wishlist. Now the landscape has changed and I've been reading the threads here and various places on the internets on what's hot/not.

My budget is pretty much up to $1000 CDN ($700/800 US probably). I like the idea of touch screens versus buttons, SD card expansion, ease of software/drag 'n' drop, and nice form factor/build quality. For example, the A&K AK100/120 look nice but I've read about firmware issues. The Fiio X5 gets good reviews but I've read the interface is so-so. Not sure what the latest is for iBasso... DX80 or is it the DX90? But the look of is "meh", IMO.

Steer me in the right direction, fellow hi-fi'ers. Which dap should I be considering for the money?

TIA.

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #2 of 13
I'm in much the same boat (except my current player is a 160GB iPod Classic that lives in my car, after my 5.5G iPod upgraded to a 200GB drive was stolen). My requirements are:

Must-have:
1) At least 400GB capacity: I want to keep my entire music collection in the player, no more scrimping and playing tetris to get the files to fit (or is it musical chairs?)
2) High quality DAC and headphone amplifier section
3) Support for searching music by composer (I listen mostly to classical music)
4) Mac compatibility for loading files
5) Able to power a Sennheiser HD800
6) Support for ALAC up to 24/192
7) Shuffle by Album, not by Song (something where the iPhone inexplicably regressed from the iPod Classic)

Nice to have:
7) Compatibility with my BMW's infotainment system, e.g. steering wheel controls
8) Support for gapless playback
9) Touch screen UI
10) Support for DSF (SACD rips in native DSD)
11) 1/4" TRS socket

Requirement no. 1 means a dual-MicroSDXC card model, or one with at single slot and at least 256GB internal storage. Some models I have looked at:
- Onkyo DP-X1
- Pioneer XDP100-R (slightly less well-specced version of the DP-X1)
- Questyle QP1R (apparently doesn't support Composers, at least in FW 1.02)
- iBasso DX80 (many poor reviews about the UI though), possibly the rumored DX200
- Cowon Plenue P1
- Lotoo PAW Gold
- Astell & Kern, though their pricing is extortionate
- Sony NW-ZX2 and NW-ZX100

I haven't yet been able to determine if any of these meet my requirements. Reviews seldom detail the UI, few manuals are downloadable and even when they are, they are not detailed enough.

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 13
Also looked at the Calyx M (no Composer, no deal).
The NW-ZX100 does not support Composer either: https://community.sony.hu/t5/portable-audio/nw-zx100-walkman-doesn-t-support-composer-tags/m-p/2078116?nobounce

Feb 28, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #4 of 13
Hey everyone. I've been out of the loop on DAPs for a while. I've been happy with my Zune HD (don't laugh) for the last several years but figure it's time for a device upgrade. Especially since the Zune software has gone the way of the Dodo bird, although it's still functional on Windows 10. For music files I 90% of the time still purchase physical CDs and rip via dbPoweramp to FLAC (for Sonos) and high bit-rate MP3 (for DAP) and 10% buy music via iTunes. I would like to listen to my FLAC collection on the new player. I occasionally use my iBasso headphone amp. Primarily use Westone 4 IEMs for music, Westone 3 at work for podcasts.

A couple of years ago the Sony ZX1 had caught my eye when it was announced. Was never available for me to purchase locally (Canada) so was always on the Wishlist. Now the landscape has changed and I've been reading the threads here and various places on the internets on what's hot/not.

My budget is pretty much up to $1000 CDN ($700/800 US probably). I like the idea of touch screens versus buttons, SD card expansion, ease of software/drag 'n' drop, and nice form factor/build quality. For example, the A&K AK100/120 look nice but I've read about firmware issues. The Fiio X5 gets good reviews but I've read the interface is so-so. Not sure what the latest is for iBasso... DX80 or is it the DX90? But the look of is "meh", IMO.

Steer me in the right direction, fellow hi-fi'ers. Which dap should I be considering for the money?

TIA.

I think Ibasso DX80 fits the bill - it cost under USD400, has touch screen, dual SD, great battery life. While DX90 is the older model, it still holds it place for being a more analytical DAP.

I had the opportunity to try DX80 recently, I must admit the device is pretty slick and sounded great. The only reason I hesitated buying it, I found that some songs came across a little to bright for me.

However with the recent firmware updates (V1.3.3 custom builds), it appears to have tamed some of the brightness (making it more analytical). Looking forward to try with with the updated firmware before biting the bullet.

Feb 28, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 13
^
I've been looking at the DX80 but the aesthetics of it just doesn't grab me. I've also, thanks to more exploring on this forum, been looking at the Questyle QP1r (website is vague about ordering?) which majid listed, Cowon Plenue D/M/P1 (is D the most current?), and A&K AK JR (love that look!). The Sony NW-ZX2 looks great as well but if only I could find for under a grand...

But thanks to another thread here I'm wondering if perhaps what I need to do is invest in a good DAC/AMP and somehow (i.e.if it's even possible) connect something like the aforementioned Chord Mojo or Caylin up to my Lumia 950XL which already has a great screen and SD card expansion?  I came across a youtube video of the Mojo velcro'd to an Android phone and it looked alright. However, in the past I've always preferred keeping my music listening separate from my phone.

I think I'll be popping a brain blood vessel just reading/thinking about all the options out there!

Thanks for the replies and keep them coming if there are more suggestions to be offered.

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #6 of 13
  ^
I've been looking at the DX80 but the aesthetics of it just doesn't grab me. I've also, thanks to more exploring on this forum, been looking at the Questyle QP1r (website is vague about ordering?) which majid listed, Cowon Plenue D/M/P1 (is D the most current?), and A&K AK JR (love that look!). The Sony NW-ZX2 looks great as well but if only I could find for under a grand...

But thanks to another thread here I'm wondering if perhaps what I need to do is invest in a good DAC/AMP and somehow (i.e.if it's even possible) connect something like the aforementioned Chord Mojo or Caylin up to my Lumia 950XL which already has a great screen and SD card expansion?  I came across a youtube video of the Mojo velcro'd to an Android phone and it looked alright. However, in the past I've always preferred keeping my music listening separate from my phone.

I think I'll be popping a brain blood vessel just reading/thinking about all the options out there!

Thanks for the replies and keep them coming if there are more suggestions to be offered.

http://americansoundesales.com/Questyle

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #7 of 13
^
Thanks for that link. I take it the QP1 Pro listed on that site is the same as the QP1r?

Mar 2, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #8 of 13

I was considering placing an order for the QP1r (QP1 Pro according to them) from this site but after reading their T&C and payment philosophy I've decided to look elsewhere. What's funny is in their legalese they refer to Ontario as "the State of Ontario". I wonder if you, DGCFAD, or anyone else here has actually ordered thru American Sound?

Mar 3, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #9 of 13
  I was considering placing an order for the QP1r (QP1 Pro according to them) from this site but after reading their T&C and payment philosophy I've decided to look elsewhere. What's funny is in their legalese they refer to Ontario as "the State of Ontario". I wonder if you, DGCFAD, or anyone else here has actually ordered thru American Sound?

I don't live in Canada, so no. I have been in their store and know them personally, don't know why they put a cap on online purchases. If you don't live in Ontario, contact info@audiopathways.com and they should be able to put you in touch with a local dealer.

Mar 4, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #10 of 13
Now I am waffling between the QP1r & FiiO X7

Mar 5, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #11 of 13
*sigh!*

Came across the iBasso DX200 thread and now that hopefully soon-to-be-released DAP has piqued my interest. So now I'm thinking I'll buy a cheaper DAP just to play around with my FLAC library until the DX200 hits. I think I can easily resell a FiiO X5ii if I were to get that for the time being.

Mar 11, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #12 of 13
Well I ended up buying the Pioneer XDP-100r (Japan source) based on price/features/reviews. Looking forward to it!

I also plan to keep an eye on the news about the forthcoming iBasso DX200 which preliminarily 'sounds' intriguing. I am also interested in obtaining the Chord Mojo for use with my Windows or Android phone if I can find it in stock at a reasonable price around the suggested retail mark (seems inflated everywhere I've looked so far) and available to ship to Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back