Time to kick my computer into audio gear, but I need some suggestions
Nov 25, 2006 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

comfortably_numb

New Head-Fier
My computer currently has on board audio and clearly needs an upgrade. When playing games the sound is sort of distorted and static like, and music crackles at higher levels. Clearly I need an upgrade.

Since I have a pair of Koss A/130 in the mail right now, thanks to JohnH who gave them to me for FREE (thanks again!), I decided I should upgrade some other parts of my computer to take advantage of the higher quality sound the A/130s will have in contrast to my $10 cans from 'Best' Buy.

So I decided to get a sound card and an amp.

Sound card

I'm looking at getting an X-Fi. My budget is $100 max, and I was thinking of getting something like the X-Fi Xtreme Music. But I'm not too sure. What is the best one for my budget? I heard they all gave basically the same sound, but the more expensive versions have more features. I don't really need features, I just need high quality sound.

What is my best bet?

Amp

Now I've never ventured into the world of the amp before...so I have a few questions (sorry, I have lots lol!)

First of all, will an amp improve performance of my headphones if it's plugged into the computer, or are amps actually meant for mp3 players and what not?

If I got an X-Fi, is there a possibility an amp could actually reduce quality, if the amp isn't as good as the sound card? Sort of like, the X-Fi sends out high quality signals but the cheaper amp actually downgrades the signal? Or am I completely off base?

Basically, is a $50 amp going to be worth the money in performance for an X-Fi computer with Koss A/130 cans?

Oh and is this amp a good deal for my (future) set up, taking into consideration the price?

Thanks a million guys, I wouldn't know what I'm doing without ya'!

Nov 25, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #2 of 12
A cmoy is a great entry level amp, but for upgrade's sake, I'd suggest something with a bit more oomph. I'd look into at least a PINT or a Pimeta amp. As far as those cans, they look to be worthy of such an upgrade.

Nov 25, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 12
Scour the for sale forums on headfi. You're bound to find something. PINTs generally have to be had used because the boards were faulty. Basically, the ones that worked were put on sale. The actual PCB was recalled indefinitely. If you find one that works, you're all set.

Pimetas are tried and true. Just look around the for sale forum here.

Nov 25, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by harkamus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Scour the for sale forums on headfi. You're bound to find something. PINTs generally have to be had used because the boards were faulty. Basically, the ones that worked were put on sale. The actual PCB was recalled indefinitely. If you find one that works, you're all set.

Pimetas are tried and true. Just look around the for sale forum here.

Okay, I'll try, but if I don't find anything you think that custom made Cmoy would still give me a good boost?

Nov 25, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Yea. It should make noticeable difference. From my delvings, any amp will give you a noticeable improvement unless the headphones are just that poopy.

Good to hear. And the fact that a Cmoy is entry level won't like 'downgrade' anything coming from an X-Fi sound card or anything, right?

Nov 25, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Nah. Definitely not. Many people consider Pints and Pimetas entry level too. That doesn't make them sound bad.

K, I think'll I go with that Cmoy then. I took at look in the FS forum and didn't see anything in my price range.

Okay, so I have the amp taken care of (thanks!!!), now to move onto the sound card. Anyone here a wizard who can conjure up some answers for my bountiful questions?

Nov 26, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #11 of 12
X-Fi seems to be the card to have for gaming. I haven't used one though.

The headphone jack on the breakout box of my Terratec card is quite good at driving my 590s. Pretty much on par with my HA-1, except for no crossfeed. I kept it around for just that reason. My new Headfive makes a noticeable improvement over the HA-1, but not so much with the 590. It it did however when I auditioned it using Grado 325i and AKG K701. My 325i's are on their way. Had I not wanted to upgrade phones, the new amp wouldn't have been wort it.

If the X-Fi's output isn't too crappy, and you have phones meant for portable use anyway, (not familiar with yours) or at least low impeadance phones, an amp in the $50 range might provide you with little more than a volume dial. If your phones are 40 ohms or less, (as a general rule of thumb) I'd say just get the card and see how you like it. If you feel that the phones lack power and/or control, then an amp might help. I wouldn't expect a big improvement in resolution or detail, so don't use that to talk your self into it if you don't want to spend the money.

I wish the X-Fi breakout box (if you buy one) had RCA line out like mine. I can't believe they left that out.. You're pretty much stuck with the mini jack line out on the back, or digital. Though, if you go with an external DAC, that pretty much defeats the purpous of the X-Fi in the first place, unless you really want the game features.

Nov 26, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #12 of 12
Yeah I wouldn't be getting really a fancy X-Fi though. Just sort of an X-Fi Xtreme Music. It wouldn't have the panel that goes in one of the slots in front of your computer, since I don't have enough money to buy a Platinum. Considering this, is the X-Fi still a good idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back