time to flame
Oct 29, 2004 at 9:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
get your flame throwers ready, here it is:

would you rather have:

nad 521 or emu 1212m as source

both assuming an external headphone amp and headphone system

assume the computer is way the heck on the other side of the house, and the noise is inaudible

Oct 29, 2004 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 17
How do you plan on getting audio from the computer to the rest of your audio system if it's far away?

Oct 30, 2004 at 7:02 AM Post #3 of 17
Really long headphone extension cord.

And a helper monkey to control the PC from far away.
evil_smiley.gif

Mojo! Increase the volume! Mojo!
Mojo!

Mojo?

BAD MOJO! BAD!

-Ed

Oct 30, 2004 at 9:27 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Really long headphone extension cord.

And a helper monkey to control the PC from far away.
evil_smiley.gif

Mojo! Increase the volume! Mojo!
Mojo!

Mojo?

BAD MOJO! BAD!

-Ed

LOL
600smile.gif

Oct 30, 2004 at 10:37 AM Post #5 of 17
i should probably be pissed off, but no, that's pretty funny
tongue.gif

yeah, that's exactly what i was just thinking myself before i posted this silly thread. how reasonable is it to get extension cords for monitor, keyboard, and possibly even external cd rom drive?

i'm just brainstorming, and i want to build a computer soon. would appreciate any help i can get

Oct 30, 2004 at 10:40 AM Post #6 of 17
oh right, and a massive extension cord for the amplifier + phones setup

this is getting more and more illogical it seems. or is it possible?

i live in a small one bedroom apartment, so all my nutty cords wouldn't have to be a mile long or anything, actually just the length of a good sized room from the way i'd run the cords. possible?

Oct 30, 2004 at 3:09 PM Post #7 of 17
1212m is better than the 521 or 521bee.

Don't worry about long cords, just buy good quiet heat sinks and case fans, there is a thread here somewhere, do a search for zalman.

Oct 30, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #10 of 17
Oct 31, 2004 at 4:17 AM Post #11 of 17
It isn't specs, sir. It is sound
smily_headphones1.gif

The 1212M should sound better in theory, but because ALL creative cards are practically broken (hardware and software wise - poor chip construction and some REALLY AWFULLY written drivers), it sounds only a little bit better than their terrible Audigy line-up. The M-Audio cards have the absolute best hardware design and the software (for linux AND windows) beats the Creative by a mile.

Oct 31, 2004 at 6:12 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
smily_headphones1.gif

The 1212M should sound better in theory, but because ALL creative cards are practically broken (hardware and software wise - poor chip construction and some REALLY AWFULLY written drivers), it sounds only a little bit better than their terrible Audigy line-up. The M-Audio cards have the absolute best hardware design and the software (for linux AND windows) beats the Creative by a mile.

I am really interested in this claim. I am not refuting you, but could you provide some specific details. A number of people actually commended E-MU on their great design and power filtering on the board. True, the drivers are a little steep for the average joe and do not have S/PDIF passthrough, they are great and have many options. I see nothing but quality components on the E-MU, including bigger caps, better clocks, better DACs and ADCs, and better power filtering. I could be wrong, but I am interested in your claim.

BTW, my E-MU sounds much better than my Revo. I am not sure if the Revo is as good as the Delta, but it is not garbage either
icon10.gif

Oct 31, 2004 at 7:05 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
smily_headphones1.gif

The 1212M should sound better in theory

The M-Audio cards have the absolute best hardware design and the software (for linux AND windows) beats the Creative by a mile.

If the specs are sort of close, I can give the lesser card the benefit of the doubt. This isn't even close.

The emus have nothing to do with the Audigy line. They are far superior in quality.

M-Audio is more budget oriented. I wouldn't call them the best in hardware design. I own(ed) M-Audio Audiophile 24/96, Revolution 7.1, Sonica, Audiophile USB, and emu 0404, 1212m, and 1820m. M-Audio's are really "basic" just by looking at the parts used in those cards I owned and even the new ones including Audiophile 192 and this 1010LT.

I can get one of these M-Audio's to check out and report back. I'm sure we're all interested in the next round of new cards but 1010LT is an old card.

Oct 31, 2004 at 7:23 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
i should probably be pissed off, but no, that's pretty funny
tongue.gif

yeah, that's exactly what i was just thinking myself before i posted this silly thread. how reasonable is it to get extension cords for monitor, keyboard, and possibly even external cd rom drive?

i'm just brainstorming, and i want to build a computer soon. would appreciate any help i can get

It is, but it is not cheap.

You can have really long extensions via Cat5 network cable.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cat+5+vga+extender

If you don't have to move it terribly far (less than 50 feet, say from one room to another room) then you could use VGA Baluns, which are basically a "dongle" adapter that plugs into your video card's VGA output, you plug a Cat5 network cable into the balun, then on the other end of the network cable you plug it into the other balun, which is where you plug your monitor into. So basically using a Cat5 network cable as an extension cable.
You could then use a RF wireless mouse and keyboard. But depending what's in your walls, the range may not be that far.

-Ed

Oct 31, 2004 at 7:25 AM Post #15 of 17
Another option is to use two computers.

Put all the hard drives for storage in one computer tucked away in another room/closet/basement and use that as a server. Network it with a small passively cooled dedicated music computer equipped with a nearly silent laptop hard drive.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back