Time to ditch the Bose.
Dec 4, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #16 of 20
Please, link me to the D2000s for $193 deal.

You are in the US, right?

Edit: Oh, I didn't read the eBay part. Nevermind, a quick Google search had my site.

Dec 5, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #17 of 20
I'd get the 2000's personally. Call it preference in sound but I think they're a fantastic deal. Especially if you can get them under 200. Plus theres lots of mods you can do to upgrade them. You can even make your own/buy custom wooden earcups. I think my D2000's sound absoultely fantastic with my wooden cups and partial markl mods.

Since you're coming from triports your ears will be used to lots of bass. The denons have it only much more controlled but don't had the mudded mids the triports have. Just sound so much better in every sense. You should love them. Not to mention they're actually MORE comfortable than the triports.

Dec 5, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #18 of 20
Tapiozona. Thanks for your post. I've been going back and forth for a few days. I think I will now go with the 2000s. I have a few questions for you.

1. What of the Markl mods did you do to your Denon's? Are they easy to do on your own? What type of difference do they make in the sound?

2. Where did you get your wooden earcups? Are they easy to install? What type of difference do they make in the sound?

3. One of the things that I was debating between the 2000s and 5000s was the cord. Have you considered changing it? Does the cord make that much of a difference?

Thanks for you help!

Dec 5, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #19 of 20
1. The mods are very easy to do and you can find a walkthrough here on the forums. Hardest part is getting the courage to take the headphones apart. I only did part of them (dampening the metal with dynamat and the back of the cups).

2. I made the wooden cups myself. You can view some of my previous posts to see them. Hard for me to describe the changes the cups made because I did all the other mods to the headphones at the same time. (You can also buy premade ones from someone here on the forum)

3. I actually replaced the cord of my 2000's with a cord from a Denon D5000. Since i also did this mod the same time as all the others, its hard for me to pin point which mod in particular made the most difference.

Overall the sound difference was quite drastic but described by having more warmth.

Not to say the stock Denon's don't sound fantastic because they do. Especially with burn in. After 100+ hours they really hit their stride.

Dec 5, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #20 of 20
I know you're set on the Denons, but be wary that they don't isolate very well (thought leakage should be minimal) and both the 2000s and the 5000s are pretty bulky. They're not foldable, and some have found them to be fragile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back