Time to ditch the Bose.
Dec 2, 2008 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Mosquito Control

New Head-Fier
Hello all. I have been using Bose Triports for a few years and after browsing these forums realized that there is much better out there. I was wondering if any of you experienced audiophiles have any recommendations.

I will be using these at home and work, so minimal sound leakage is necessary. I listen to mostly post rock, hip-hop and electronic music. My price range is around $250.

Thanks!

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 20
Congratulations, welcome to Head-fi, and sorry about the wallet.

The ATH-A700s or 900s are great. They are huge, though. I have limited experience with closed phones, though. They're good choices but consider them with whatever everyone else recommends.

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #3 of 20
well since he ll be travelling with the headphones Supra-aural will be a better choice.

a great supra aural closed can i can think of are HD25-1-II.

it costs around $200

Dec 2, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #5 of 20
Congratulations on the realization. There are many headphones out there much better than Bose. I think Bose has people hypnotized to think they are the best. I listened to 2 Bose headphones and the Dr Dre Monster beats at Best Buy a month ago and all 3 were no better than my $100 Denon 1001 on a cmoy. With $250, you can buy some great headphones!

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations, welcome to Head-fi, and sorry about the wallet.

The ATH-A700s or 900s are great. They are huge, though. I have limited experience with closed phones, though. They're good choices but consider them with whatever everyone else recommends.

Depends on if you want to go amped, and what source. I've said this about 3 times in as many days, but the a900's are great, with a so-so source, unamped. Very forgiving, and despite what some think, great headstage.
After almost a year apart, I tried them out again one last time before boxing them away, and I think I actually prefer their soundstage to my k701's. It's not superior, by any means, just tight, controlled, with enough elbow room to really enjoy most music. Flawed, yes, but enjoyable. IMO
The biggest caveat, does not upscale with nicer source. I was disapointed with them on my Cantante, sounded barely a notch above my ipod.
They were a good first step for me none the less.

Dec 2, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #7 of 20
I'm looking for a pair that doesn't necessarily need an amp. Also, I will be listening from an ipod when at work.

After some more research I've found a few others that look like they might work for my purposes. Does anyone have any input on these?

Ultrasone HFI-780
Denon AHD2000
Audio Technica ATH-A900
Sennheiser HD25-1-II

Dec 2, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #8 of 20
The ATH-A900 isn't exactly portable. You get the sense that they're about to break when lugging them around. They're solid kit, but those wire loops and wings do make them feel delicate. And should you have a mid-sized head you'll look like a space cadette with them on.
biggrin.gif
I might be shortening the loops on mine this weekend so I can stop the bizarre stares at work.

They do sound awesome though. I might still get something else for lugging around and those Denon units look good.

Dec 3, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #9 of 20
Ok. I'm leaning towards the Denon AHD2000. Seems like they aren't too big, and from what I've read can power an ipod without needing an amp.

Also, has anyone had any experience with the Lawton Audio markl mod? I'm thinking I may look into that sometime in the future if I get these cans.

Only other set I'm still thinking about is the Sennheiser HD25-1-II. If anyone has any defining statements or comments between these two I'd be grateful.

Once again, main genres I listen to are post rock, hip-hop and electronic.

Dec 3, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #11 of 20
I was using the triports for many years as well. After listening to others, I found that they really suck!

All the indicators I was using for a good headphone were not what really mattered to me.

Dec 3, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #12 of 20
But the triports do one thing well- they are VERY comfortable. I haven't found another pair quite as light and comfy.

Dec 3, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #13 of 20
Smart move indeed. Joining us and ditching the Bose I mean..
Welcome to Head-Fi!
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #15 of 20
Alright, I'm definitely going with the Denon's. The question is, which model.

On ebay I can get the AH-D2000 for $193, or the AH-D5000 for $332.

Is it worth the extra money to get the 5000s? How much better are they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back