time to choose a DAP
Oct 26, 2004 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

swee

Head-Fier
Hey,

Ive read and done my research, well...i did but it was sometime ago and alot has changed
tongue.gif

what im after in a mp3 player

*around 350USD
*at least 20gigs
*at least a 12hour battery
*ipod size*ish (eg not njb3 size)
*not remote dependent
*portable hardrive abilities (plug-in play windows)
*Decent sound quality of course
*storage device for a digital camera (i dont know if its possible, but to plug the usb port from a digital camera to a DAP and transfer all the photos would be mint

Things im not concerned about,

*as long as its got mp3, not fussed about lossless
*fm radio
*remote
*equalisers, bass boosts
*look/style
*colour screen picture viewer

So im pretty much after a mp3 player which i can just keep in my pocket, but one which i can also make full use of its hardrive by uploading pictures from my digital camera on the go, as well as using it to store files, im more after function, so games, organisers etc are deemed unneccessary.

All my mp3s are well tagged and are all in their respective folders corressponding to the album, all ripped with LAME so umm yea, any ideas if theirs a DAP out their that satisfies all/most of my needs or am i being to picky
tongue.gif
at the mo the H320 looks like the only choice, would like some more options
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2004 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 14
i don't know all the specs/features of all the daps out there, but what you want sounds curiously like the new 20gb ipod...it has windows hard drive support, the new battery life is around 12 hours...you can buy a belkin attachment that allows you to save your photos from digital camera to the ipod...and, it's $299 + whatever it costs for that belkin photo attachment...

Oct 26, 2004 at 12:56 AM Post #4 of 14
oo, i never knew the ipod had those functions, or that attachment, ill look into it

seems like its $120USD more expensive locally (in NZ) could anyone recommend an online store which sells it for $299USD and ships internationally? apple store doesnt :<

Oct 26, 2004 at 2:13 AM Post #5 of 14
Bunnyears is right. I have the new 20gb iPod, and it has every single feature you mention.

Good luck getting ahold of one for a decent price over there. If all else fails, you might try convincing some American friend to buy it with the student discount and send it to you.

-Chad

Oct 26, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #6 of 14
so..friends...
wink.gif

well turns out, did a bit of research on the belkin media card thing, turns out its really really unbelievably slow :/ anyone here have any 1st hand experience with it?

Oct 26, 2004 at 3:22 AM Post #8 of 14
How big is the discount? If its around $250 with tax and everything for a 20 gig, or around $325 for a 40Gig, that seems much more reasonable (ill be in college in 6 months...)

Oct 26, 2004 at 7:59 PM Post #9 of 14
take a look at the new ones from Iriver too. The H320/340 is already retailing here in the states, and is a korean product, so availability might be better for ya. I am almost positive it can do all of those things too, and no need for an additional plugin for the photo stuff. Additionally, it has alot of extras (that you don't need) and costs about 320 here in the states for the 20gig version. Apple has just announced their Ipod photo (their similar product) and the pricetag will be pretty steep.
I have one of their mp3 only versions, the H120, and though it has some important differences from an Ipod, I love the way it works for me. All the features you list except for the USB to digital camera plugin one. Sorry.

Oct 26, 2004 at 8:46 PM Post #10 of 14
my daughter bought me the 40 g with applecare and the total was 365, shipped price, tax extra. she said that they sold them at the bookstore of her school (UT/Austin) with the same discount. so, if you've got a friend at school here, it's worth a try.

Oct 26, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by micr0c0sm
How big is the discount? If its around $250 with tax and everything for a 20 gig, or around $325 for a 40Gig, that seems much more reasonable (ill be in college in 6 months...)

What school are you going to? At Duke they gave out 20g ipods to incoming freshmen last Sept. Apple is making a concerted effort to discount to college students, so if you can wait, that's probably worth the pain. Try calling the Apple store and see if they will sell you something as a highschool student. Someone toldme that when you phone them, they will take anything as a way of giving you the student discount.

Oct 26, 2004 at 11:24 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
my daughter bought me the 40 g with applecare and the total was 365, shipped price, tax extra. she said that they sold them at the bookstore of her school (UT/Austin) with the same discount. so, if you've got a friend at school here, it's worth a try.

AFAIK, all on campus bookstores that carry Ipods and are official distributers offer the student discounts.

Oct 27, 2004 at 12:20 AM Post #13 of 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back