Time to buy a new mp3 player?
Jul 24, 2006 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Collide

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. I'm thinking of buying a new MP3 player, specifically the iRiver Clix. The trouble is that I have an MP3 player, the 20GB iRiver H120, which I purchased in 2003. It's a great MP3 player, but I find it bulky, and I'm looking for a smaller player that's better for on the go. I don't know if I can justify a $200 purchase though being that I already have an mp3 player. Should I go for the iRiver clix or should I stick with my H120? Or should I go for something else?

Thanks
tongue.gif

Jul 24, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
You know that the Clix cannot charge form wall outlets. Only PC's. The battery hour is medicore.

There's an optional AC adapter. Does this not work? Is the rated 25 hours way off?

You could go with an 1GB iAudio U2 [$99] or 2GB MobiBLU Cube [$117] if you wanted to save a few bucks.

Jul 24, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #6 of 26
I know this is a bias repsonse, but I was in a simaliar situation a few weeks ago. I then ran across people selling old Rio carbons on eBay. This one is from the same seller that I bought one from. You can pick up a 6GB on for about $130 right now. I think that is a fantastic deal. It is not as feature filled as the Clix is but for the price it is really hard to beat.

The little player is just so damn cute, it fits perfectly in my pocket and it is just works. And with the newest firmware the player is completely UMS just like you H120 and you get on the fly playlisting. All the player are refurbished though, but the one that I recieved might as well have been brand new, ther was not a scratch or mark on the thing.

Jul 24, 2006 at 2:26 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

You know that the Clix cannot charge form wall outlets. Only PC's.

The battery hour is medicore.

The lack of an a/c charger is a bit of a ripoff. In fact, the Clix also doesn't include a belt clip case like the Samsung YP-T8Z/Q.

The battery life is respectable. The Samsung is only around 20 hours. Probably due to the screen.

Jul 24, 2006 at 2:27 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by hekoman
I know this is a bias repsonse, but I was in a simaliar situation a few weeks ago. I then ran across people selling old Rio carbons on eBay. This one is from the same seller that I bought one from. You can pick up a 6GB on for about $130 right now. I think that is a fantastic deal. It is not as feature filled as the Clix is but for the price it is really hard to beat.

The little player is just so damn cute, it fits perfectly in my pocket and it is just works. And with the newest firmware the player is completely UMS just like you H120 and you get on the fly playlisting. All the player are refurbished though, but the one that I recieved might as well have been brand new, ther was not a scratch or mark on the thing.

Not a bad price and I liked my older Rio players (Cali, Forge, etc) however they ALL broke! No wonder Rio is no more. And no wonder there are a million refurbs for sale!

The only fear i'd have with the Carbon is Rio's reputation for breaking down and the 1 month warranty that you get. Quite the risk. Nice player though.

Jul 24, 2006 at 3:56 PM Post #10 of 26
the clix is a nice little DAP, but it seems like a mini-PMP, to me.

You can also check out the Sandisk Sansa e200 series DAP's: they also support video playback (if that's of any interest to you), but you can get the 4GB e260 for the same price as the 2GB Clix, PLUS the expandability for a 1GB microSD card (2GB in near future). The Clix is a little shorter than the Sansa, but a little thicker, so the FF may be a wash for you......

Jul 24, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

You know that the Clix cannot charge form wall outlets. Only PC's.

The battery hour is medicore.

This was a deal-killer for me. The Clix's battery life is pretty bad compared to the ratings, and the idiotic requirement that it be connected to a PC running Windows XP SP1 or above to charge (except when the battery is fully depleted) made it pretty useless pretty fast.

Jul 25, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by donovansmith
This was a deal-killer for me. The Clix's battery life is pretty bad compared to the ratings, and the idiotic requirement that it be connected to a PC running Windows XP SP1 or above to charge (except when the battery is fully depleted) made it pretty useless pretty fast.

Interesting, considering its battery life is 5 hours longer than the Samsung YP-T8Z i'm looking at getting.

The recharging from PC is not a big deal for me either as I run XP and SP2 as do most people....you must be a mac user?

Jul 26, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paleo
Interesting, considering its battery life is 5 hours longer than the Samsung YP-T8Z i'm looking at getting.

The recharging from PC is not a big deal for me either as I run XP and SP2 as do most people....you must be a mac user?

I do have a Mac, but my main computer is a desktop running Windows XP SP2. However, there are times when I'm away from my PC for a few days and might be using the player a lot, so charging issues are important to me. And in use, I got maybe 10 to 15 hours at from the unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back