time to break the mold?
Dec 6, 2002 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

RobertR

100+ Head-Fier
All my life I have been an avid classical & sometimes jazz music fan. I think I have had a closed ear and mind to the "other" music out there.
I don't know what I'm looking for but sometimes I'll hear something that turns me on momentarily.
I don't think I would like new age stuff since it all sound pre programmed to me. If I'm wrong give me some suggestions.

Don't laugh but some of the music on commercials sounds interesting like that gal who singsI think its the Nissan take "are you in"??? The other day while cd browsing they were playing "yesterday" by the beatles. Yes I like some of the beatle stuff and this song is simply beautiful. I also like dark side of moon and Pyramid.
I guess i could go on a quest for new music but would like your input for an old foggy willing to branch out.

Dec 6, 2002 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 10
Excellent idea! I think it's a lot of fun to branch out into new things (music included). I would like to suggest the group Marillion. They have been around 20 years (or so) and have produced many albums. It has been described as "Prog Rock" but their sound is unlike many other rock bands out there. Two album suggestions would be marillion.com and Anoraknophobia (newest one). I hope you enjoy this as much as I have
tongue.gif

Dec 6, 2002 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 10
Based on what you've written:-
Jazz -> You may try the Jazz-rock/fussion direction:
Chick Corea & Return to Forever - Return to Forever
Chick Corea & Return to Forever - Light as a Feather
Chick Corea & Return to Forever - My Spanish Heart
Mahavishnu John McLaughlin - Birds of Fire
Mahavishnu John McLaughlin - Inner Mounting Flame

Classical -> You may try the Progressive Rock/classical direction:
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Tarkus
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Trilogy
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Works-vol I & II
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Pictures at an Exhibition (Mussorgsky's)
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

There are a lot of progressive bands from the Seventies' experimental period (Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, Jethro Tull... just to name a few)whose work became classic today... If you like it and want to explore into more extreme music there's a lot of alternative/metal/progressive music with strong classical influences.

Dec 6, 2002 at 6:03 PM Post #4 of 10
Yeah, Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Birds of Fire" is awesome. Check out the seventh track, "One Word," off of KaZaA or something. It's a pretty good indicator of the band as a whole... well, minus two minute drum soloing.

I'm not a fan of progressive rock but I'm told it was actually GOOD during the 70's. The prog rock now just sounds like musical mathematics to me. At any rate, Mahavishnu Orchestra is very classic rock but they're dubbed Jazz / Fusion.

Have you listened to a lot of Beatles? My favorite albums is "Magical Mystery Tour" but "Rubber Soul" and the "White Album" are unbelievable too as are most of their later albums. I'll admit, I'm not much of a fan of their pre-drug era albums.

This may seem like a stretch... I don't know, I don't think so but check out Pinback. They're a very melodic acoustic band, for the most part. Not one song has distortion on "Blue Screen Life" and it sounds AWESOME through a great pair of headphones. It's one of those albums that really shines through ATH-W100's.

PM me if you want FTP access. I'm only 35KB/s but you gotta hear Pinback :p - if you hit up KaZaA... look for "Concrete Seconds" or "Penelope"

Dec 7, 2002 at 3:02 AM Post #5 of 10
thanks for the input. I have already requested several cd's from the local library including:
chick corea,emer. lake & pal.,mahavishnu,.

They didn't have the Marillion group.
is there a web site where i can get a sample of these. Iknow Telarc and Hyperion has live audio of their recent releases.

Dec 7, 2002 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 10
You can also try Jean Luc Ponty, is frech violinist, nice jazz/rock/fussion very sweet btw, also Al Dimeola, Yes, Return to Forever, Kansas, Steve Hackett, Camel, Kitaro, even Jethro Tull....try a lot as many as you can and them choose, Kazaa is a good source to try and if you like them, later get the Cds as for NAM try Andreas Vollenweider is a harpist and is not pre programmed at all, very complex but very sweet....

Dec 7, 2002 at 5:14 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by pikawel
Yeah, Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Birds of Fire" is awesome. .. At any rate, Mahavishnu Orchestra is very classic rock but they're dubbed Jazz / Fusion.

I'll third the Mahavishnu recommendation.

You'll get a lot of people suggesting whatever they happen to like most...so what the hell, so will I:
-Tangerine Dream, Rubycon or Ricochet or Dream Mixes III
-Kodo, Japanese drumming (Best Of...1 or 2)
-Ali Akbar Khan, Vishwa Mohan Bhatt or Ravi Shankar, Indian music, lots of great albums.

Dec 7, 2002 at 5:48 AM Post #8 of 10
Well, if you want "other" music, try some of these artists:

Sarah Mclachlan: Fumbling towards ecstasy (anything else as well)
The Doors: Waiting for the sun (or any other album)
Dave Matthews Band: Crash (or "Before these crowded streets")
Faith no more: The real thing
The Police: start off with their greatest hits
Paula Cole: this fire

Try and see if you can get these from your local library as well.

Dec 8, 2002 at 8:23 AM Post #9 of 10
Beatles stuff rocks!

Listen to Helter Skelter, it's crazy! It was made in the 1960s yet sounds like punk rock of today. They have a lot of albums, but the ones that I know are good are: Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club, Abbey Road, The White Album, Let It Be, and Help!

Red Hot Chili Peppers might be mellow enough for you, By The Way isn't hard at all.

Dec 14, 2002 at 4:54 PM Post #10 of 10
just a few impressions re; your suggestions.
MARILLION; auditioned the anoraknophobia: too progressive or hard . sudden outbursts of guitars etc. this may take more time to adjust and understand.

CHICK COREA SPANISH HEART; really like this - great melodic invention and musicianship. btw the notes say male choir but sure sounds like female to me on track one.

EMERSON LAKE & PALMER TRILOGY; a little difficult at times but like most of it.

PINK FLOYD MEDDLE; my favorite so far in the rock group. I feel this group has the most to say. Dark side of the moon is their masterpiece in thematic unity. will listen to wish you were here today. this takes time but its fun and rewarding and I thank all of you for your suggestions. Some of the beatle stuff is waiting for me at the library.

I've noticed that a lot of rock cd's have virtually no liner notes, track timings or tech. info Just name of selection and lyrics.
where do you get more info about these groups?
Happy Holidays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back