Time for New IEM...sound isolation important
Feb 3, 2010 at 2:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Malux

100+ Head-Fier
well, my denon 751Ks finally died. I'm looking at the Triple Fi 10, atrio M5 or the Shure 420. I like a little bump on the low end and the Triple Fis sound very attractive. But, I'm big on sound isolation and am a big fan of the Shure olives.

I'm pretty sure the olives won't fit on the Triple Fis. I think they'd fit on the atrio. Any advice? I know I can go with the Shures, but the review on the Triple Fis are better.

Is there another IEM i should consider? I'd like to stay under $200 and I know i can get the Triple Fi's under 200 on eBay.

Feb 3, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #3 of 15
the isolation on the denons is terrible. i managed to cajole the shure olives onto the denons but not without putting some scratches on the tip.

how do the atrios compare to the triple fis ? i had the FS1 and liked them (except for the cheap plastic feel)

Feb 3, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, my denon 751Ks finally died. I'm looking at the Triple Fi 10, atrio M5 or the Shure 420. I like a little bump on the low end and the Triple Fis sound very attractive. But, I'm big on sound isolation and am a big fan of the Shure olives.

I'm pretty sure the olives won't fit on the Triple Fis. I think they'd fit on the atrio. Any advice? I know I can go with the Shures, but the review on the Triple Fis are better.

Is there another IEM i should consider? I'd like to stay under $200 and I know i can get the Triple Fi's under 200 on eBay.

I have not personally owned or heard the Etymotic Research products however I have read countless reviews that state they have the best isolation of all IEMs. They obviously are not designed for Shure Olives and may not have the bass you are looking for but they are definately worth considering if isolation is a key decision maker for you.

Feb 3, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #5 of 15
Etymotic ER4 P-S or ER4B is the way to go for under $200 for both isolation and sound IMO. Get the B version, if you want a bit more accuracy and get the P-S version if you want a more forgiving treble. The B version apparently sounds too bright for some people.

Feb 3, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 15
I will recommend Klipsch Custom 3, it has great sound quality(warm, rich detailed mids and clear highs) plus isolation and the low end is rich, deep. BTW TF10Pro are good buy at that price and isolation is quite good to block out noise.

Feb 3, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #7 of 15
I own the Etymotic HF5s, and the isolation (with Shure Olives) is incredible. Great IEMs all-around, though certainly not "bass thumpers", if you like that sort of thing. For a bit more, the ER-4Ps probably sound a bit better, but can take Shure Olives just the same.

Check 'em out.

Feb 4, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #8 of 15
There's always the klipsch x10/x5. They can be had for roughly $170/150 respectively right now. According to reviews, both have plenty of bass, especially the x10. Olives fit them.

Feb 4, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #9 of 15
i like the triple fi but am worried about wiring issues. Lots of folks on amazon mentioned the wires aren't very reliable. How fragile are these things? also, does anyone know how much it costs to send them back to UE for rewire?

Feb 4, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #12 of 15
Get the Triples, and de-core some Olives.

Feb 4, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hentai11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the Triples, and de-core some Olives.

that's the the plan if i get them. I'm still concerned about the cabling. Are the cables reliable/replaceable (if so, what does UE charge to replace them).

Feb 4, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #14 of 15
ive had the triple fi for around 2.5 months and no issues with the cable. if it ever fails i'm just going to get the Westone ES cable for $40 and be done with that. The stock UE cables go for around $20 or so but I think shipping is what kills it if you buy it from them(not sure about the shipping..its just what I heard and too lazy to check). I'm sure a bunch of people here have spare cables if you post it in the FS threads since a bunch got them reshelled.

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ive had the triple fi for around 2.5 months and no issues with the cable.

i picked up the Triple.fi for $160 on ebay. Now I need to dig into custom recabling them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back