Time for new headphones? (Grado vs. B&W + McIntosh)
Mar 6, 2012 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

The8thst

Head-Fier
Goal: The sound signature of B&W 804/802s driven by McIntosh components.
To me this combo has perfect synergy and provides a very smooth, very detailed, very musical tube like sound. I can listen to this setup for hours without any type of ear fatigue, and that is what I am looking for in a headphone setup for work.

I think I was too excited to get into the hifi headphone world when I jumped on a great deal on a pair of Grado SR225i and then bought a Topping D2 (an AD1852/PCM2704 DAC with pre-outs and an OPA2134 headphone amp) to try to smooth them out and gain some low-mid/upper bass presence.

I am discovering that the headphones are probably almost polar opposites from the sound I really want, so I wondering if I should spend money on a Little Dot I+ to try to smooth out the Grados or look at a new pair of phones. The Grados are just too forward and too aggressive for all day listening.

I really like open ear headphones and nice clear chimey highs. I am completely willing to take any of these 3 roads:
1. Swap op-amps in the DAC+Head Amp (I can't get rid of it because I NEED an external DAC for my computer)
2. Add a Little Dot I+ to the DAC pre-outs on the DAC.
3. Trade the 225s for a different pair of headphones.
4. Anything I haven't thought of...

Thanks for the guidance and suggestions.

Mar 7, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 6
That is pretty much what I was thinking. I am wondering if I'll have to give up on the open back feature to get the sound I want.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #4 of 6
Damn.
I was really hoping to get a headphone suggestion or two since I included a very specific sound signature (B&W 804d + McIntosh).

Oh well. I guess it's time to throw more money out the window (which is sometimes part of the fun).

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #5 of 6
You're in luck, I have the B&W N802s* and a vintage McIntosh IA. Want a very similar sound sig? Go for the Denon D5000s, D2000s if you're on a tight budget. They have great bass extension and sparkly yet, IMO, non-fatiguing highs. The D2000s may require a touch of EQ in the mids, but it should be close. The Grados you have won't do it, no matter what amp you use. Sorry.

*Which B&W 800 series do you have, Diamond or Nautilus? Doesn't matter too much, they're quite similar, the Diamonds have slightly more forward mids.

Mar 8, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #6 of 6
You're in luck, I have the B&W N802s* and a vintage McIntosh IA. Want a very similar sound sig? Go for the Denon D5000s, D2000s if you're on a tight budget. They have great bass extension and sparkly yet, IMO, non-fatiguing highs. The D2000s may require a touch of EQ in the mids, but it should be close. The Grados you have won't do it, no matter what amp you use. Sorry.
*Which B&W 800 series do you have, Diamond or Nautilus? Doesn't matter too much, they're quite similar, the Diamonds have slightly more forward mids.

Thank you for the opinion. The D2000 are about at the top of my price range since these will stay in my office at work.

It's weird I auditioned a pair of Grado SR125i plugged directly into a McIntosh C50 and they sounded great, but I haven't liked the 225s at all since I got them.

*I love the B&W + Mac combo. I don't have any at home, but the showroom theater at work is compiled of 804D2s for the front right and left with an HTM2 for a center channel. The electronics are a McIntosh MX120 feeding a McIntosh MC205 amp. I often take my laptop in there to hide and work while listening to music.

So I am trying to replicate a King's sound signature on a peasant's salary. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back