Mar 15, 2014 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

fishymamba

Head-Fier
Overview of what I am looking for:
*  Budget: $200. Slightly flexible. $230ish max
*  My Source: 95% Fiio E10 DAC/AMP. 5% HTC One
*  Isolation Wanted: Some. I usually have a fan on in my room at all times 
*  Type of headphones: Over ear
*  Tonal balance: Something like the Sony V6s, but a bit more bass. So flat with a bump in the bass/sub bass range?
*  Past headphones: Sony MDR V6
*  Preferred Music: Pretty much everything. These days its mostly Indie Rock, Electronic, and Trance, but I need an all around headphone.

I have had my V6s for 3 years now and they are kinda dead now. I am looking for a durable set of headphones that will last me a very long time, pretty much the last headphone I will have to purchase for the decade :D. A replaceable cord would be a HUGE plus!
I enjoy the sound signature of the V6s, but I would like a little more bass. I really like high impact, but I am not looking for overpowering bass. I am fine with getting used headphones as long as they are durable and the cord can be replaced. 
So far I am looking at the Sony MDR-1R, Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm, AKG 551, and the Sony MDR 7510. The MDR-1Rs seem like the best option. I might go to a local sony store and try them out.

I know my budget is not that high, but I can't afford to spend anymore, I don't really want to either. 

Let me know if you have any more questions! Thanks!

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 16
UE6000 is your best bet imo (Great for trance, and EDM), unless you are willing to go up to the M100 or PRO900. 

Mar 16, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #3 of 16
UE6000 is a good suggestion. Id also look into Sony MDR 1R. Very neutral and natural headphone IMO.

Another possibility is AKG K550

Mar 16, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #4 of 16
Aren't the UE6000s noise cancelling headphones? How does that affect sound quality? How will they be with rock music? 
They look like they are quiet durable and are less than $100, but I don't want to sacrifice too much sound quality. I really want something that will be noticeably better than the V6s I have.

The MDR-1Rs do look quiet nice, and they are ~$190 on amazon right now. How do you think they compare with the V6s?

I also just saw the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros. They are over my budget, but I can get them used if they are any good. 

Mar 16, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #5 of 16
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed

Just go by this guide, all the headphones mentioned in this thread seem to be in there. The Sony MDR1 is nice, is it 2x as good as UE600 since it cost 2x as much? I personally don't think so. But you cant go wrong with either. Also it depends on what kind of music you listen to, the MDR1 doesn't have much bass for contemporary genres, but shines with classical and more balanced genres. 

Mar 16, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #6 of 16
There's no such thing as being 2x the price being 2x as good in the audio world... its all diminishing returns.

The UE6000 tuning does tune more towards pop while the MDR 1R is more balanced. The UE6000 will sound more exciting overall.

But when it comes to comfort and build quality, you cant compare the two. The MDR 1R is still one of the most comfortable headphone I've put over my ears and the build quality is much more solid than the UE6000

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #7 of 16
  There's no such thing as being 2x the price being 2x as good in the audio world... its all diminishing returns.

The UE6000 tuning does tune more towards pop while the MDR 1R is more balanced. The UE6000 will sound more exciting overall.

But when it comes to comfort and build quality, you cant compare the two. The MDR 1R is still one of the most comfortable headphone I've put over my ears and the build quality is much more solid than the UE6000

I think I would prefer a more balanced design because I am used to my V6s. Do you have any idea how the 1R compares to the MDR-10R. It is almost half the price of the 1R.  I'm guessing the 10R will have much lower quality(audio and build) than the 1R.

I don't really need an amazing sounding headphone, just something better than my V6s. 

Mar 17, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #9 of 16
Thanks for all the advice guys. I think the decision is between the K550s and the 1Rs. 
Both are almost the same price. The MDR-1R has a removable cable, but from what I have read the K550 has really good build quality. Going to make a final decision in the next few days, but I'm leaning toward the Sonys as of now. 

Mar 17, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #10 of 16
I own 550's as my first pair of serious headphones and they served that purpose very well, everything just sounds amazing when you listen for the first time. I would note though that they work best in a quiet environment as although they isolate they let a lot of sound in, they also theoretically can be portable but they are big headphones and can be a real pain to try and fit in a full uni bag after a while. Lastly they work very well of any regular device, but also benefit from amping. I think this is a plus as it lets you have the benefits of upgrading your system while at the same time still have a highly useable great sounding headphone for any device. Also the soundstage and sub-bass is phenomenal, its why I bought them and after reading many reviews it appears there isnt much that can match their width and depth.

Mar 17, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #11 of 16
I own 550's as my first pair of serious headphones and they served that purpose very well, everything just sounds amazing when you listen for the first time. I would note though that they work best in a quiet environment as although they isolate they let a lot of sound in, they also theoretically can be portable but they are big headphones and can be a real pain to try and fit in a full uni bag after a while. Lastly they work very well of any regular device, but also benefit from amping. I think this is a plus as it lets you have the benefits of upgrading your system while at the same time still have a highly useable great sounding headphone for any device. Also the soundstage and sub-bass is phenomenal, its why I bought them and after reading many reviews it appears there isnt much that can match their width and depth.

How was the fit for you? I heard the 550s are quiet loose unless you have a very large head. I like a tight fit, so that might be a problem for me. 
I won't really be using the headphones much outside of my room, only once in a while so portability is not a big issue, but the small size of the MDR-1Rs is a plus for me just in case I need to take them somewhere. 
I have a Fiio E10 DAC/AMP which I am guessing should be more than enough for either headphones. I don't have a portable amp and I don't plan on purchasing one. I mostly use cheap IEMs for portable use, so its not a big deal.

The sub-bass is pretty much the only reason I am still looking at the 550s, I'm going to see if there is anywhere I can try them out around me.

How do you guys feel about getting used headphones? If I get a used pair of either headphone I will have enough money to get a decent as well(Klipsch S4s probably). Or I can get a cheaper headphone(UE6Ks or MDR-10Rs) and get the Shure SE215s.

AHHHHH SO MANY OPTIONS!

Mar 17, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #12 of 16
Shure SE215 and klipsch S4 are both prrtty underwhelming iems in my opinion. I wasnt happy with either one and you can do better at their respective prices.

My head is tiny and the k550 slip off my head pretty easily. However, the headban is metal and can take some adjusting, do u can bend it ineard and make it a little smaller. If. U know u have a smaller head, id stay away though

Mar 17, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #13 of 16
Shure SE215 and klipsch S4 are both prrtty underwhelming iems in my opinion. I wasnt happy with either one and you can do better at their respective prices.

My head is tiny and the k550 slip off my head pretty easily. However, the headban is metal and can take some adjusting, do u can bend it ineard and make it a little smaller. If. U know u have a smaller head, id stay away though

I had the S4s before and I really liked them, the build quality just wasn't that good. What is better in the same price range? 

And I think the 550s are out because I have quiet a small sized head, my V6s are always in the smallest position.

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #14 of 16
Yeah they don't clamp on and I have a medium sized head, they were even looser when I got them but head band bending fixed that easily enough. At this point if I look straight down they very slowly start slipping off

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #15 of 16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back