Time for my next headphone in my journey - 400 max.
May 10, 2010 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

iamthecheese

100+ Head-Fier
Well after about a year with my k601s which I really enjoyed, they've never been the same since I'm pretty sure they have mis-matched drivers after a recabling accident in which I had to order a new driver from AKG. There's slight channel mismatches that are starting to bug the crap out of me.

But thats the past.

So for my new one my budget is stretchable to 400, but I'd prefer towards 325 ish.

budget expanded to 500, I'm gunna try to not skimp out here.

-No preference over open or closed, but I have a feeling open is better for what I listen too.
-My main music choice is rock
--Classic rock such as AC/DC, Journey, Pink Floyd, Kiss, BTO, CCR, Clapton in all his forms, Led Zep, GNR, Def Leppard, Doobie Brothers, Black Sabbath...that list goes on for awhile but I hope thats enough to get the picture.
--Newer stuff would be Wolfmother, Muse, Modest Mouse, State Radio, TSO, Wintersleep, Minus the Bear, Collective Soul, Bloc Party.

So I really like my guitars...but I thought about Grado's but I wear my headphones for 4-8 hours at a time. So comfort is pretty important.

My amp is a Minimax I built in January connector with a copper RCA made from some HGA wire to a frankenZero with the earth HDAM.

Some I've thought about are dt880s, HD600/650/modded 580, maybe orthos...but then again I'm really not sure. Hence why I'm posting this thread and need suggestions.

May 10, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 28
I don't know if any of those options are going to be much of an upgrade, they'll likely just be different flavors of sound. I think the HD580/600 will be the smallest change - their sound signature isn't too far from the K601 - IIRC, they have similar frequency balance but a slightly smoother sound and slightly smaller soundstage. The HD650 might be a better option - it's likely to be more different, and its frequency response is pretty well suited to rock.

I probably wouldn't do the DT880s - to my ears they had slightly recessed mids that I don't think would suit your music particularly well.

May 10, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 28
What I like about the k601s was the comfort of the cups and detail. I wouldn't have minded a alittle more bass in them. I see alot of people that prefer the 600s over the 650s, but what about for mainly rock(all types)?
Also the easily replaceable cable is a plus for me, since I love to make cables.

May 10, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #4 of 28
Have you tried a Grado/Alessandro on before, because they're perfect for your needs? My MS-Pros with comfy pads are well, comfy

May 10, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #5 of 28
I've thought about it, but I'd wanna try one before I bought one since they might get hard to wear after 4 hours.

May 10, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #7 of 28
http://www.dakmart.com/Audio-Home-Audio-Headphones/c4_9_28/p6494/SEALD-DENON-AH-D5000-AHD5000-REFERENCE-HEADPHONES-W-WTY/product_info.html

Best price I could find. I would likely do the markl mods and maybe some j$ pads if I got them. How well do they fair with rock?

Edit:

I saw I could get some d2000s and some the the lawton audio cups for around the same price as d5000s, and from what they said on their site the d2000s and d5000s use the same drivers.

May 10, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #8 of 28
I only do modern rock, but especially on the poorly recorded tracks the recessed mids drive me crazy. 

May 11, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #10 of 28
Yeah, everyone has experienced different levels of comfort with Gradossandros. Me, no problem for hours on end.

Quote:
I've thought about it, but I'd wanna try one before I bought one since they might get hard to wear after 4 hours.

May 11, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #11 of 28
I'm going to have to chime in and give my support to the Grados as well.  I use open cans at work so people don't have to be obnoxious to get my attention.  I wear it for hours on end and never had any worries about comfort.  As a sickening amount of my cans are closed (I really need to get more open ones) it's a nice change up.  I do recommend getting flats if you don't have them, since the flats are so much more comfortable, to me at least.

And as far as you music tastes go, especially Pink Floyd, I love them on my Grados.

May 11, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #12 of 28
Oxymoron 
tongue.gif

Quote:
They sound awesome when amped...with boomy bass

May 11, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #13 of 28
Haha, to some people, boomy bass is 'awesome' anyways

May 11, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #14 of 28
Based on your comments, I think you should give Senn HD600 650 a try.

I went with the HD600s myself, although I like the look of the 650s better.

May 11, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #15 of 28
So I guess its between:
HD650 and likely a DIY cable. I like making cables and those connectors make it pretty easy. From what I gather similar to the k601 sound, alittle less soundstage, more bass and a less analytical presentation?

Grado/Alessandro - Help me out here please, I really haven't pay much attention to that line and theres so many headphones that look pretty similar at a first glance.

Denon D5000/D2000 with the markl mod(from what I've read this cuts down on the bass cutting into the mids), some of the lawton audio wood cups, and maybe some J$ pads, atleast until then I'll stuff the stock pads.

Another thing for Open Vs Closed I've been considering is that I'm going to college in the fall, so sound leakage and isolation may come into play in the dorms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back