Time For An Upgrade, Any Suggestions?
Dec 9, 2009 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bludytiger

New Head-Fier
I am new here and was hoping you all could help me with choosing a new pair of headphones.

The ones I have been using for the last 8 years are a pair of Pro-Luxe Pro-30. They have been decent, but recently part of the casing had broke off and they don't sit properly on my ears now. I have temporary fixed them with a splint and some tape, but it's time for a new pair.

After looking around on the net for reviews, I had found plenty of models that are highly recommended. Problem is, none of the models I found reviews for are still being sold. And I know that buying the same brand but a different model isn't a good way to go since important things can very from model to model.

I am looking for something for generally music purpose. I will get a dedicated set for gaming later if the need comes that I need them again. I listen to a lot of rock and hard rock, as well as some industrial. They will be used with my laptop and PC primarily. At the moment, I am not getting an amp, but I will likely get one soon. The price range I am looking to spend is around $100 - $175.

I haven't had much chance to check what the local stores have yet, other then a couple. So far what I have found are the following:

- Sennheiser HD-228
- Sennheiser HD 437
- Shure SRH440
- JVC HA-M750

I was hoping to find the Sennheiser HD-448, because I hear a lot of great things about them, but no luck yet. Hopefully tomorrow I can look to see what other options I have.

What do you think?

Dec 10, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #3 of 11
I don't know anything about the phones you mention, but have you thought about a Grado? Perhaps the SR80i? I always recommend them to people who like rock and hard rock/metal like yourself. Perfect rock phones they are imo, and many others agree. They are very efficient unamped, but of course if you have a crap soundcard I'd check into getting a dac/amp. Just a thought.

Dec 10, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #5 of 11
Unfortunately, I can't find anywhere around here that carrys Grado... I am kind of stuck with local retailers as well ATM. No online purchasing.
frown.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #6 of 11
how about used? in the past 2 weeks i've seen some hd580 on the fs forums in your budget. would definitely be better than any of your options listed. they do need an amp however, so if you're not planning on getting one soon, then maybe something else is better suited.

how bout denon 1001 or the grado sr60/80 are also a good option i think.

Dec 10, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #7 of 11
how about used? in the past 2 weeks i've seen some hd580 on the fs forums in your budget. would definitely be better than any of your options listed. they do need an amp however, so if you're not planning on getting one soon, then maybe something else is better suited.

Dec 10, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nyjets28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I also think Grado SR60/80 may suit your need.

Dec 11, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #9 of 11
I am still having no luck finding any local dealers that sell Grado. I do have one last place to check that I have been avoiding. I kind of doubt he has them, and he usually overcharges, but I will check when I have a chance. Its unlikely though. He usually tries to push Sony.

Dec 11, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #11 of 11
I try not to. He is usually my last resort. Convincing my father that is another thing. He thinks the guy knows all the best. He even converted him to Sony when he had been a sworn RCA guy when it came to TV's.

Not that I'm saying RCA is the way to go with TV's now days, but the guy is a good sales person to convert someone to crap like Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back