Time for a new Sound card or is there an alternative?
Dec 18, 2012 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

lavo-1

New Head-Fier
My Auzen Forte has finally died. The random buzzing has now become too regular to be a slight annoyance. I have tried several fixes as well as replacing the all caps on the PS and headphone amp circuit but to no avail.
mad.gif

I really loved this card and would buy another in a heart beat, but I can't source one here in the UK anymore as they don't seem to use any reputable retailers here to outlet.
I use my sound card mainly game on, paired with my Beyer DT990 pro, but, I also use my PC to rip my CD's to ALAC which I then stream to my SqueezeBox>DacMagic>LittleDot V>Senn HD650.
So I am looking for a sound card capable of powering my Beyers and giving a similar sound experience as my Auzen X-Fi Forte ie great surround sound and good powering of my DT990 pro's.
Please any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 4
Do you need the sound card to be able to drive the headphones directly, or will you use the DacMagic and Little Dot with the DT990, too ? In the latter case, you may not even need a sound card, or only the cheapest one that has whatever features you want and S/PDIF output (e.g. the X-Fi Titanium (not HD) for gaming). Otherwise, the Xonar Essence STX or ST would work well with the 250 and 600 Ω DT990 without using anything external.

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 4
 I stream my music fom my PC to other rooms where my SqueezeBox,HiFi, LittleDot etc are all located.( all through either a lan or wifi).
My PC is mainly my gaming rig for Arma and Flying sims, so I always use a headphone connected to my PC for this.
I know the Asus series of cards uses mainly software based surround emulation and the X-fi use hardware and later Eax setups, but I am sort of used to the X-fi sound of the Forte, but need a card that can provide power for the Beyers (I'm not giving these up as they are the best gaming phones bar none) or a external set up (card/dac and amp) that will get me the results I want.
I know Creative have a X-fi HD usb external, but would this be a step away from what I crave, due to not being internal?

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
 I stream my music fom my PC to other rooms where my SqueezeBox,HiFi, LittleDot etc are all located.( all through either a lan or wifi).
My PC is mainly my gaming rig for Arma and Flying sims, so I always use a headphone connected to my PC for this.
I know the Asus series of cards uses mainly software based surround emulation and the X-fi use hardware and later Eax setups, but I am sort of used to the X-fi sound of the Forte, but need a card that can provide power for the Beyers (I'm not giving these up as they are the best gaming phones bar none) or a external set up (card/dac and amp) that will get me the results I want.
I know Creative have a X-fi HD usb external, but would this be a step away from what I crave, due to not being internal?

To me, STX and X-Fi HD is just as good. However, i would lean more towards the STX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back