Time for a new computer?
Oct 10, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #16 of 32
Strictly for audio, I will go for a laptop w/ much leaner/robust (electronic) design. That is built for higher standard business environment. Say a laptop workstation from HP, Dell or Lenovo or say a Apple MacBook Pro. Stricter standards, better electronics, less prone to noises.
Definitely, workstation laptops are superior in all possible ways, personal preference - Dell Precision series

Nov 8, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #17 of 32
It now looks like the Apple November release is not happening anymore and rumor is that pushes the next 14" and 16" M2 Macbook Pro line out to the March event they do each year. My laptop is not making it that long, so I'm not thinking of getting an 16" M1 Macbook Pro. I have never owned a mac computer before and am not sure if I want to make the switch. I do have a desktop PC for gaming, so I don't really care that the Apple laptop does not game well.

The platform stability, ease of use and integration with my phone, nicer screen, and premium build are what are drawing me to the Mac.

If I'm honest, the 16" M1 Pro is more then I need. I'll mostly use it for web browsing, music streaming, 3D printing, the occasional Office doc. and other general use. I guess I like the idea that I could get more into photography and maybe make some basic review videos but don't currently do much of that and I'm never going to do it as a profession, so I don't really need this. However, I do tend to keep laptops a long time by most people's standards and just generally want things to work. At this point, I'm willing to pay some premium for a better experience.

Any advice or reason I should hold off on a 16" Macbook Pro?

Nov 8, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #18 of 32
It now looks like the Apple November release is not happening anymore and rumor is that pushes the next 14" and 16" M2 Macbook Pro line out to the March event they do each year. My laptop is not making it that long, so I'm not thinking of getting an 16" M1 Macbook Pro. I have never owned a mac computer before and am not sure if I want to make the switch. I do have a desktop PC for gaming, so I don't really care that the Apple laptop does not game well.

The platform stability, ease of use and integration with my phone, nicer screen, and premium build are what are drawing me to the Mac.

If I'm honest, the 16" M1 Pro is more then I need. I'll mostly use it for web browsing, music streaming, 3D printing, the occasional Office doc. and other general use. I guess I like the idea that I could get more into photography and maybe make some basic review videos but don't currently do much of that and I'm never going to do it as a profession, so I don't really need this. However, I do tend to keep laptops a long time by most people's standards and just generally want things to work. At this point, I'm willing to pay some premium for a better experience.

Any advice or reason I should hold off on a 16" Macbook Pro?
I have had PCs since the mid 1990s, and even played with PC music production in the mid 1990s. There is no total answer to happiness with either PC or Mac. But back it 2019 I was torn on what to do. My wife and I were in an Apple store and I purchased a MacBook Air......she thought it was for her, and I thought it was for me! Lol

She bought her own soon after.

When I returned home I kept using my old PC but slowly migrated over to Apple. I have had both Mac and PCs since 2007 but now I’m fully a MacBook user and will never go back to PC. I can’t expound on if you should get more than a MacBook as that’s all I use, but I do everything I need to do now. Photography, writing, I write my IEM reviews on it and process all my photography with it. Each person has different needs and maybe you may need more than a MacBook, but at least it’s a cheaper way to get into the programs and work flows. You will be surprised how much a PC and MacBook are the same. But what makes the MacBook better is they hardly ever get buggy or crash. They are faster at times and seem more stable? This is maybe not totally everyone’s experience, but it is mine?

I have used a MacBook Pro on occasion but it was just borrowed, I’m mainly writing this to encourage you to try going Apple and learning the software, as it changed my work quality from 2019 till now.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #19 of 32
Mac just works unless you are an excel junkie then it doesn’t work 😂

Nov 9, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #20 of 32
Anyone know if you can get apps to control/turn off the fan on a MacBook? I can for my desktop but maybe this is not a thing for laptops or Macs.
If you buy an M series MBP you won't need to worry about controlling the fans. They simply never come on unless you push the machine hard. Even then they are slow and nearly silent most of the time. Not like the Intel based machines. I use an M1 Air (no fan), 14" M1 Pro MBP (fans never on for audio use), and an M1 Max Studio (fans idle at 1325 RPM and are quieter than ambient noise level, can be reduced to 1100 RPM). I use TG Pro to monitor my fans and temperatures and to spin the fans up after dusting the vents... There are other programs out there but this one is solid, inexpensive, and very well supported. Apple Silicon changed the computer game. AS sip watts and don't generate heat as a result. They are superb for audio.

Nov 9, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #22 of 32
Laptops are for chumps that don't really wanna deal with a good computer. Good luck.
69F7E241-B7D8-4B6D-AFFA-2CB57C708E7E.jpeg

Oh.....the silliness in me this AM!

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #23 of 32
Laptops are for chumps that don't really wanna deal with a good computer. Good luck.
I guess I'm a chump then as I find my "good computer" a bit much to deal with setting up at the couch while I watch TV or at the library while I avoid my cleaning lady. Don't even get me started on the baggage fees while traveling. :wink:

Desktop.jpg

Nov 10, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #24 of 32
lol, well, I don't really believe you but also when not at home, I don't use a computer. It's nice to just enjoy life without the internet.

Nov 10, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #25 of 32
Old laptops are mostly still enough for daily tasks, just uninstall not needed apps, try to keep it clean as possible.
2gen i5 and above with 8GB Ram and SSD are mostly fine.
Debloat Windows makes things even better; switching off a lot of unnecessary processes - https://christitus.com/debloat-windows-10-2020/
Before You spend on a new computer, make sure Your old one was treated as it should.
Saved money spend on audio and thank me later :wink:

Nov 18, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #26 of 32
Old laptops are mostly still enough for daily tasks, just uninstall not needed apps, try to keep it clean as possible.
Before You spend on a new computer, make sure Your old one was treated as it should.
Saved money spend on audio and thank me later :wink:
I hear you and did try to keep it alive. It is a Microsoft Surfacebook? I don't even remember the model name, but they made one to be more like a laptop with a metal base w/ graphics cards in the bases. Anyways, replaced the battery on the Surface/screen part last year after it bulged out the screen but I somehow managed to do it without breaking the screen. However, it was a pain and I almost feel like I got lucky after reading how many pros breaks them when trying to replace the battery. Not really designed to come apart. Told myself I would not risk it again. Now the battery on base part has expanded and split open the bottom seam. I could probably replace it myself easier than the screen one was, but at this point, I think it is just time to get a new laptop. The bottom part is now warped, and it teeters around while I type now. Plus, it has always bummed me out. My dad was having some problems with dementia and accidentally ordered two laptops when he was confused. When they came, he was embarrassed and hid one. I later found out and felt bad so I bought it from him to help. Man, this has totally bummed me out now. Kind of a bad reminder of my dad's struggles. I think it will be good for me to move on from this one.

Nov 20, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #27 of 32
I ended up ordering a 16" M1 MacBook Pro while they are on sale. It should get here Wednesday, which should give me a little time to learn more about MacOS and apps I want. Transitions to Mac is kind of exciting and new right now. Been watching some videos on setup and different options. I'm looking forward to it.

Sep 12, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #28 of 32
I'm presuming you will be using a DAC? Onboard audio is generally, not good. The aforementioned fanless idea is great, though not as impactful if using closed headphones. I would say operating system and compatibility with the DAC should be considered. Some DACs don't play nice with certain operating systems, or run with less features.

Sep 19, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #29 of 32
I'm a currently-out-of-work PC technician. Honestly, USB out sucks on PC. It's noisy. If you can get a desktop computer with optical out you'll be better off. Sure, it limits you to 96Khz but it's so much cleaner. Even if you want to stick with USB, you can build a computer for yourself that has advantages like DAC out USB ports that are shielded and lower noise- or you can buy an audiophile grade USB PCIE card for cleaner output. You can also build a passively cooled system with no moving parts to increase the quietness level further in terms of the noise that's imparted to the USB ports. If you want such a solution straight out of a box, the passively cooled laptops that use Intel or AMD cpus ending in U or a Macbook Air would be good choices. Avoid Celeron N, Pentium N, and, and just plain "N" CPUs from Intel as these are too lethargic.

Sep 19, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #30 of 32
For @ABuilder and others who want to take free online courses and learn more about their new Mac can look here:

https://digitaldefynd.com/best-mac-courses/

For those who want to take free online courses and learn more about various digital and computing topics can look here:

https://www.open.edu/openlearn/digital/free-courses

For those who want to take free online courses and learn more about a whole bunch of different topics can look here:

https://www.open.edu/openlearn/free-courses/full-catalogue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back