Time for a New Can, need recommendations
May 26, 2006 at 5:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sum

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, so the honey moon is finally over with my 701s. I prefer them over my 650s, but I miss the bass. I've never listened to Audio Technica before and I'm rather intrigued. I also don't currently have a closed phone and I think it might be time to remedy that. What does everyone think of the W1000 and W5000? I would probably consider an AD2000 as well, although all of these are rather expensive. What is the sound signature of an AT phone? Is it a Grado style sound with improved accuracy? I want to make sure that I keep new cans on a similar level with my current collection (see the Sig). Thanks!

Oh also, I listen to pretty much every genre of music. I tend to swap cans based on mood and what I think I'll listen to most at that time.

May 26, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #3 of 4
AT sounds best with female vocal. That's the reason I am getting a 900LTD
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2006 at 1:31 PM Post #4 of 4
I listened to several W5000s at the national meet, and to some sony 5000s[?] and some Qualias. Granted, the background noise didn't make for good evaluation. But, frankly, I didn't get it. What makes these phones attractive to those who love them? I like Senns but the veil can be an issue, I like AKG701s but sometimes there is something missing, I like (so far) Grado GS-1000s for their combination of clarity, bass and soundstage. I listen to classical, jazz, sountracks, old rock, some new PoP(or whatever you would call Nora Jones). I use both tubes and solid state.

I have neither the vocabulary or experience to explain. I don't mean to ask a stupid question, but from my preferences can anyone explain what my taste appears to be. What am I missing with the ATs and the Sony's (or what do you call that which doesn't appear to matter to me that does appeal to others).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back