Tight budget PCI sound card - please help.
Jan 12, 2008 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dima1109

100+ Head-Fier
Its time for me to upgrade from the onboard sound. I am on a pretty tight budget ($70 would be pushing it), so here are some cards I am considering:

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
Turtle Beach Montego (pushing it)
X-fi Xtreme Music (pushing it)
Audigy 2/ZS
M-Audio Revolution

It would have been a no-brainer if you could still buy the AV-710, but unfortunately, it disappeared from everywhere.

New suggestions also welcome.

Thanks.

Jan 13, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 9
I meant it in a sense, it would have been a no-brainer to just get an AV-710 for $30. I'm not sure if it's superior to another cards that cost $65
Or is it?

Jan 13, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #4 of 9
Too bad there's no posibility to get a chaintech av-710, for music it is ideal in my opinion, probably even for $100, I happened to use a audigy2zs card some time ago, bought it for $80. I don't know if X-fi is any better than chaintech av-710, but if it is then $100 is worth IMO for a X-Fi.
Creative Audigy2 ZS cards sound kind of strange to me. I mean colored, it's like they try to buy you with technology instead of natural sound, and it had anoying hiss.
mad.gif

Av 710 is capable of melting my heart, completely! Audigy2ZS- never did that! although it "seems" warm sounding. But it's worth mentioning that audigy2ZS has a more powerful amp, chaintech won't drive Etymotic ER4S, audigy2 ZS drives them much better!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by dima1109 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I meant it in a sense, it would have been a no-brainer to just get an AV-710 for $30. I'm not sure if it's superior to another cards that cost $65
Or is it?

Oh, it is sooo much better than Audigy2ZS for music, you have no idea, but that's just me, maybe.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #6 of 9
While I haven't really 'kept up' with things, I was always under the impression (and from past experiences) that nothing made my SB was exactly intended for high fidelity. As far as I know, they still all resample everything to 48kHz regardless what you ask it to do. Maybe someone else can confirm that. It was a darling on these forums (still is?) for a reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back