Tiffany Style Female RCA Jacks?
Dec 27, 2004 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Edwood

1/2 hamster, 1/2 Turkish∙ Blueteething
Other than being cheaper than standard jacks, what is the difference? Does the ground solder tab get in contact with the case?

Tiffany Style
Ctfa.JPG

Standard Style
Grfathin.JPG

-Ed

Dec 27, 2004 at 10:32 AM Post #2 of 8
No there's 2 plastic washers to prevent that contact with the case. Although i suppose they could always be removed.

The differences should be obvious
600smile.gif

Dec 27, 2004 at 12:24 PM Post #3 of 8
One mounts from the inside of the case, the other mounts from the outside.

The GRFA allows you to solder to the RCA before mounting onto the case. The CTFA requires you to mount it onto the case before soldering the wires onto it.

Dec 27, 2004 at 12:31 PM Post #4 of 8
Actually, the difference between a Tiffany and a regular jack is the fact that there's a little colored band around the base of the jack indicating "signal" (black, red, yellow, green, blue, etc). It's hard to tell by the pictures, but take a look at Part Connexions website, they have some good pictures of normal and tiffany jacks. In those pictures you have one that's inside mount and one that's outside mount as well (believe the Tiffany jack is an inside mount and the regular is an outside mount).

Dec 27, 2004 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Other than being cheaper than standard jacks, what is the difference? Does the ground solder tab get in contact with the case?

-Ed

If you are building a PIMETA or PPA into an aluminum enclosure, you actually want to ground the enclosure to signal (input) ground, so having the ground tab of the "Tiffany" style jack come in contact with the enclosure will not present a problem....as long as you are using an isolated DC input jack. In fact I do not isolate the inputs. Additionally, the GRFA ground rings act as a heat sink, so getting a good solder joint requires some patience, and a very hot iron.

Dec 27, 2004 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 8
Are they the same performance wise, or it just comes down to personal construction preferences?

I have a 700 degree tip just suited for soldering larger things. It's too hot for board work, but looks to be perfect for this.

-Ed

Dec 27, 2004 at 9:23 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Are they the same performance wise, or it just comes down to personal construction preferences?

The GRFA jacks are "beefier" and are rhodium plated. Whether or not that makes a sonic difference is debatable.
Quote:

I have a 700 degree tip just suited for soldering larger things. It's too hot for board work, but looks to be perfect for this.

-Ed

The ground ring acts like a huge heatsink, 700 degrees will probably not cut it. I crank my station to around 800 and use a large screwdriver tip.

Dec 27, 2004 at 9:52 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamslacker
One mounts from the inside of the case, the other mounts from the outside.

The GRFA allows you to solder to the RCA before mounting onto the case. The CTFA requires you to mount it onto the case before soldering the wires onto it.

Ah! Of course. It could be a pain to try to tighten or loosen those nuts after soldering with the CTFA. A small wrench would work, but I like using a socket wrench

I guess the TIffany Style allows for the grounding tab to be soldered beforehand. (Vampire shown below.)
CM1FCB.jpg

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back