tidbit: Aiwa to completely become Sony subsidiary
Feb 28, 2002 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

leon

500+ Head-Fier
Sony came out with a news release today (Feb 28), announcing that it will conduct a share swap with Aiwa, and they're aiming for October 1 as the date for the swap. The outcome is that Aiwa will be completely owned by Sony (I think Sony holds 60%+ shares in at the mo).

The reason is basically that Aiwa has eroded quite a bit of its own funds for a range of reasons. e.g. Aiwa's mid-2001 share issue collapsed due to the excessive fall of their share price, forcing Sony to come through with funding for them. The press release says that Aiwa no longer has adequate research/development in digital and networking technologies.

Sony aims to cut Aiwa's overheads to 1/3 of the current level. In the process, staffing at Aiwa will be reduced to around 2/3 of today's level. The Aiwa brand will be used so that it doesn't compete with the Sony brand, e.g. bolstering line-up, new products.

Thought I'd share this with you all.

Feb 28, 2002 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 3
Interesting news, but something that could have been predicted...

Has anyone else noticed that Aiwa's newer portable MD units have been clones of Sony models? This wasn't the case just a few short years ago.

Mar 1, 2002 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 3
I had originally thought that Sony owned all of Aiwa anyway so this doesn't come to me as much of a surprise.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back