Tidal iOS 16 not switching sample rate w/ OTG/Camera cable
Sep 13, 2022 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

UNOE

500+ Head-Fier
I just upgraded to iOS 16. First off I’m having some weird interference pauses when playing tidal. Also the sample rate doesn’t seem to change properly on both a topping DAC and chord mojo. Albums that should be redbooked (hifi) are showing up at 96kHz. Also it seem to change with Masters still but it gets stuck at 88 or 96 and won’t change back to 44.1. But another master album will change it from 88 to 96.
Apple Music seems to not be having the issues all formats are switching to tracks sample rate properly.
I originally went to verify tidal sample rate because it was artifacing when I changed playlist or interacted with touch screen while music was playing.
I didn’t have either issue with iOS 15.

Can anyone else confirm?

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 9
Hi, confirm.
I have noticed the same as you. Can’t play 192kHz from Tidal on iOS16 both on iPad and iPhone. My DAC is showing max 96kHz while using Tidal.

Apple Music is casting 192kHz.

Maybe it is a problem with MQA compression on iOS16?

Best,
Danny

Jan 10, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #6 of 9
Ok, I found on Reddit that TIDAL is no longer supporting MQA/Exclusive Mode on the mobile devices. Some say that Tidal app version 2.71 supports it.

Source:
https://www.reddit.com/r/TIdaL/comm...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf
Nice fine. I thought I was only one that noticed it. Because never got a reply here.
This is why a lot of people use Tidal over other services. Don’t understand why they don’t recognize it should be priority to fix this asap.

Jan 10, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #7 of 9
I hope they will fix it. Someone wrote that they are working on MQair which will be compression for wireless connection. I hope they won’t replace it with MQA.

I think it’s good to send an emails to Tidal support. Let them know that many people wants MQA in mobile devices.

Jan 10, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 9
I hope they will fix it. Someone wrote that they are working on MQair which will be compression for wireless connection. I hope they won’t replace it with MQA.

I think it’s good to send an emails to Tidal support. Let them know that many people wants MQA in mobile devices.
Only one of my dacs are mqa. What I found happening is even redbook is playing right. If I play Masters the sample rate gets stuck at 88 or 96 and won’t change back to 44.1 when I play a redbook track. If I restart the app it will play redbook at 44.1 again until a master track is played.

Mar 12, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #9 of 9
Anybody have any updates on this from tidal? Apple Music supports at least up to 192khz judging by the blue led on my s9 pro from hidizs.

Same Tidal tracks playing at 192khz on my android phone limited to 44.1 - 96 khz on iOS/iPadOS it seems.

so clearly a software issue.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back