THX789 with HD800, any good?
Apr 29, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #17 of 56
Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #18 of 56
but OP has a price point he's shopping

Well if thats the case than my article still holds meat.

Best sound: EAR HP4

Best solid state amp: Violectric V281

Best Value: Lake People G103P / Violectric V200 / Woo WA2 / Burson Conductor V2 /

Best Budget: Lake People G103P

The THX most likely will sound thin and bland. Just a hunch

Apr 29, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #19 of 56
Well if thats the case than my article still holds meat.

Best sound: EAR HP4

Best solid state amp: Violectric V281

Best Value: Lake People G103P / Violectric V200 / Woo WA2 / Burson Conductor V2 /

Best Budget: Lake People G103P

The THX most likely will sound thin and bland. Just a hunch

It's a good article! But don't post it and recommend OP not read anything else or end the thread. That kind of discussion or posting is just noise

but I've made my points! Hope they help @Wifiman and I'm still excited to see what you think. Maybe to help you more can you tell us a little about your DAC/Source and what budget you have?

Apr 29, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #20 of 56
@Mshenay I said it the way I said it so he most likely have to click on it :)
Cheers

Apr 29, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #21 of 56
It's a good article! But don't post it and recommend OP not read anything else or end the thread. That kind of discussion or posting is just noise

but I've made my points! Hope they help @Wifiman and I'm still excited to see what you think. Maybe to help you more can you tell us a little about your DAC/Source and what budget you have?
did you ****ing read? or just read every other words?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...easurements-of-massdrop-thx-aaa-789-amp.5001/

I'm sure you can read, or look at pictures and make sense of it (or try to)...do that...comprehend it and then come back and talk to me....

p.s even if I listen to it or anyone in here listen to it, its not going to be the same as you listen to it.

Calm down guys, really appreciate ur help. I tend to ignore those guy who say f words and replies like they know everything. Peace.

Apr 29, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #22 of 56

Thanks for ur list. will consider buying based on ur list.:ksc75smile:

Apr 29, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #23 of 56
I would recommend tube...if you are dead set on THX 789, I would go with HD800s.
Of course it's not the best pairing, but OP has a price point he's shopping within and your one opinion alone doesn't hold much value. Neither does mine honestly! Not saying the ATOM is better than what's listed there but it's one acceptable option and for the HD 800 there are many! But most important is what @Wifiman is willing to spend and what he ultimately wants

Here is some one who has heard this pairing!!! So based on my experience with solid states and the HD 800 and his experience then it's more helpful to maybe suggest Wifiman be prepared for a less than stellar performance.

Still the appeal is how clean the output is, lots of clean power but that's not really useful unless your driving like an HE 6 ect...

As far as solid states go the VERY best I've heard thus far is the new Bricasti M3 fully differential DAC AMP the new Benchmark system is also exceptional for different reasons. But again if Wifiman want's to stay around $400ish those impressions are of no use to him

But until he has heard it this is all speculation! That said, I again don't think he has much to worry over. Even if the pairing is less then stellar, it'll be easy to sell or trade to another user here or else where!
Actually I am not planning on building a system around hd800, just want to try some different sound signature than my planars especially sound stage and I heard they're good for big music like symphony. So I ll only consider buy another device if they really sound unhearable which I guess is not quite possible.

Apr 29, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #24 of 56
Actually I am not planning on building a system around hd800, just want to try some different sound signature than my planars especially sound stage and I heard they're good for big music like symphony. So I ll only consider buy another device if they really sound unhearable which I guess is not quite possible.

Oh what Planars! I quite like LCD 2 Pre Fazor and HD 800 together in a single home/system. Very different but both very good at what they do

What planars do you have?

Apr 29, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #25 of 56
Oh what Planars! I quite like LCD 2 Pre Fazor and HD 800 together in a single home/system. Very different but both very good at what they do

What planars do you have?
I guess u can see them just in my signature line above u:ksc75smile: And i would say thx789 is perfect to pair with them.

Apr 29, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #26 of 56

looking at your Headphone list, I can guarantee you will not like HD800 (stock form). That thing is really a beast to tame, its very very picky, even some Tube amp wont sound good with it. A friend in hawaii has 3-4 different tube amp and only one sound good with it, I think it was the Crack. now the HD800s is different, I like HD800s a lot but I like the Hd820 more. I was going to buy the HD800s again but I listened to the Meze Emperyean and well...not buying HD800s lol

to me this is what the ranking order is.

1. Meze emperyean
2. HD820
3. HD800s/Beyer T1 with DHC silver cable
3.5. Focal Utopia
4. HD800

Generally I find that people dont like the Focal will like the Meze and vice versa.

Apr 29, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #27 of 56
I guess u can see them just in my signature line above u:ksc75smile: And i would say thx789 is perfect to pair with them.

Ahh HD 800 is like an HE 560 but... more spacious and a bit more natural sounding imo? I run my HE 560 with Dekoni Pads and a solid silver Cable. I like it hyper aggressive for movies!

I didn't much care for Arya I felt it was really too warm [I also felt Emperyean was like this also] so to my ears I actually find the HD 800 to be warmer than most. But again that's me. I went from DT 880 to HE 4 then HD 800 an compared to the previous two it was quite warm. I've got an HD 600 now also which is a bit warmer than HD 800 but not to much so,

For me HD 800 is... maybe slightly more natural than HD 800S [I also don't like HD 820 :/] but I did feel that Hifiman HE 1000 V2 was a nice planar take on the HD 800 presentation, I could certainly enjoy owning an HE 1Kv2, can't say the same about Arya and Anada or Sundara for that matter.

Still you have an HE 1000... that said you may find HD 800 to be kinda... duplicate? It'll be even MORE spacious than HE 1000 but without that planar bass, though some say the HE 1000 is kinda soft and I've always appreciated HD 800 for... being maybe more tactile than soft, but still having a nice touch of naturalness without any loss of presence. Though some find HD 800 to be too hard and tonally it's not perfect through it's mid range

but SDR is a must for HD 800 as other wise the top end really throws up the mid/low presentation. But I tend to like leaner presentations with slightly "thicker" amps. Which is why I have a lot of Tubes but even for tube gear I prefer leaner to "thicker'' Valhalla 2 is a good tube amp imo but Vali 1 is by far my favorite at $100 for the HD 800

I'm also not familiar with the SMSL SU8 but it measures similarish to my RME ADI 2, but it's topology is likely different so it's hard to say how it's presentation compares.

An finally, you may actually really enjoy the THX 789 with your planars.

I'll also say Utopia is the only Focal I enjoy, other wise they all sound... too odd for my tastes. Meze Emp is very much NOT for me. So I guess I don't really LOVE Focal or Meze... HD 800 is one of my favorites but so is something opposite like PreFazor LCD 2

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #28 of 56
looking at your Headphone list, I can guarantee you will not like HD800 (stock form). That thing is really a beast to tame, its very very picky, even some Tube amp wont sound good with it. A friend in hawaii has 3-4 different tube amp and only one sound good with it, I think it was the Crack. now the HD800s is different, I like HD800s a lot but I like the Hd820 more. I was going to buy the HD800s again but I listened to the Meze Emperyean and well...not buying HD800s lol

to me this is what the ranking order is.

1. Meze emperyean
2. HD820
3. HD800s/Beyer T1 with DHC silver cable
3.5. Focal Utopia
4. HD800

Generally I find that people dont like the Focal will like the Meze and vice versa.
Haha we ll see. If i think that's too bright or thin to me mayb i ll try 800s. The others r too expensive for me so...

Apr 29, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #30 of 56
Ahh HD 800 is like an HE 560 but... more spacious and a bit more natural sounding imo? I run my HE 560 with Dekoni Pads and a solid silver Cable. I like it hyper aggressive for movies!

I didn't much care for Arya I felt it was really too warm [I also felt Emperyean was like this also] so to my ears I actually find the HD 800 to be warmer than most. But again that's me. I went from DT 880 to HE 4 then HD 800 an compared to the previous two it was quite warm. I've got an HD 600 now also which is a bit warmer than HD 800 but not to much so,

For me HD 800 is... maybe slightly more natural than HD 800S [I also don't like HD 820 :/] but I did feel that Hifiman HE 1000 V2 was a nice planar take on the HD 800 presentation, I could certainly enjoy owning an HE 1Kv2, can't say the same about Arya and Anada or Sundara for that matter.

Still you have an HE 1000... that said you may find HD 800 to be kinda... duplicate? It'll be even MORE spacious than HE 1000 but without that planar bass, though some say the HE 1000 is kinda soft and I've always appreciated HD 800 for... being maybe more tactile than soft, but still having a nice touch of naturalness without any loss of presence. Though some find HD 800 to be too hard and tonally it's not perfect through it's mid range

but SDR is a must for HD 800 as other wise the top end really throws up the mid/low presentation. But I tend to like leaner presentations with slightly "thicker" amps. Which is why I have a lot of Tubes but even for tube gear I prefer leaner to "thicker'' Valhalla 2 is a good tube amp imo but Vali 1 is by far my favorite at $100 for the HD 800

I'm also not familiar with the SMSL SU8 but it measures similarish to my RME ADI 2, but it's topology is likely different so it's hard to say how it's presentation compares.

An finally, you may actually really enjoy the THX 789 with your planars.

I'll also say Utopia is the only Focal I enjoy, other wise they all sound... too odd for my tastes. Meze Emp is very much NOT for me. So I guess I don't really LOVE Focal or Meze... HD 800 is one of my favorites but so is something opposite like PreFazor LCD 2
Seems like we have totally different taste then LOL I some times want my Arya to be warmer. Also hek and Arya sounds identical on mysetup so idk why u think theyre so different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back