THX Onyx Teardown
May 14, 2024 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Gigz

New Head-Fier
Figured I'd make a quick post about these, just in case some other brave soul was ever in need.

I got this unit from ebay, sounds like a gentleman's dog decided he wanted some hifi in his life and wasn't sure how to plug them in so the cable got a tad shorter in the process:
1715665834359.png

I bought this fully intending on the chance that I may not be able to save them. What I found is that rubber around the wires is actually molded rubber so I ended up having to cut the rubber off, once that was off, there is a plastic retainer for the wires. After a fair bit of super low heat with a rework station, -gently- working my way around between the plastic and the aluminum case I was able to finally release the glue. The whole unit slides out as one piece since it's housed in that plastic inside the aluminum. This can also be seen in the blow apart off the advertising:
1715666172166.png
1715666072037.png

Now that it's apart I'm going to solder up a new usb cable and should be good to use for another several years to come. Also incase it's ever needed here is the silk screen of the usb pinout (From left to right- SH, G, D-, D+, VB):
1715666273891.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back