THX/AAA/789 Legacy.
Mar 5, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #16 of 23
Atom gets okay reviews so its a fare purchase. Its suppose to be an upgraded O2 and people liked that one. You can always do OPamp-roling and tune it ever so slightly which is nice.

Mar 5, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #17 of 23
Same! Based in everything I've read there is very little reason to go with the THX it I'm not planning to switch everything over to balanced, which I'm not.

You'd only need to change your headphones to balanced. As the THX789's balanced inputs are only for convenience. The Inputs are summed to single ended before amplification stage. As seen in the OP's post, that entire bottom left section of electronics exist solely to convert balanced input to single ended before amplification. Using the amp single ended inputs avoids that entire circuit.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #18 of 23
Since the THX789 is not a balanced amplifier. Using XLR input into the device that just uses a cheap summing circuit to convert the balanced signal back to single ended before it amplifies it is pointless. XLR in/out does not balanced make.

Jotunheim and Atom are great amplifiers, im sure you'll both be pleased.

Greetings MikeW, that was the other thing; balanced. I have S.M.S.L SU-8 coming hopefully next week so I can run both Schiits from that, XLR to Jotunheim and RCA to Valhalla 2. I just ordered some wire and plugs for my HD 6xx to go balanced. And I still have now/soon a possibility to run active speakers from Jotunheims XLR preouts (futureproof).

Mar 9, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #20 of 23
- If this thread offends anyone or is in breach of community guidelines, please remove it -

The THX/AAA/789 is what I would consider a legendary amp. I've not heard one bad word about it and it measures outstanding. Monoprice have the 788 which is based upon the AAA technology but it seem to fall short in terms of performance, but how much I don't know.

There are currently over 6000 requests on Massdrop and no one knows if and when it will drop again so here I am without an amp not sure what do to. The sad part is that I don't have the $350 for one atm, so would it be possible to reverse engineer it for the diy community ? - It is using off the shelf parts so no unique IC's.

I mean, I've had no bad experiences with the monoprice so far. The only review I've read isn't even a review, it's a rant about monoprices shipping without an actual review. Kind of odd to not give it a fair shake after giving its competitor flying colors hmmm. But either way, I was gonna buy the monoprice because I want an all in one and that is what this is. Drives HE-560 single ended without issues at -17 DB, not even sure if I'm gonna get an XLR.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #21 of 23
Drop is back on Massdrop right now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back