THX/AAA/789 Legacy.
Jan 7, 2019 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Oneminde

New Head-Fier
- If this thread offends anyone or is in breach of community guidelines, please remove it -

The THX/AAA/789 is what I would consider a legendary amp. I've not heard one bad word about it and it measures outstanding. Monoprice have the 788 which is based upon the AAA technology but it seem to fall short in terms of performance, but how much I don't know.

There are currently over 6000 requests on Massdrop and no one knows if and when it will drop again so here I am without an amp not sure what do to. The sad part is that I don't have the $350 for one atm, so would it be possible to reverse engineer it for the diy community ? - It is using off the shelf parts so no unique IC's.

index.jpg

Jan 7, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #2 of 23
yea im looking to buy one too, dont know when the drop will be live again, it's listed as massdrop made on MD tho, i think you should save up and wait for it to drop agian

Jan 31, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #4 of 23
In the same boat. Just heard about it earlier this week and come to find out it a bit difficult to get, at least for the moment. Really don't want to invest in anything else though so I'll probably just wait for now.

Would love to see some people recreate the amp here and break it down further.

Jan 31, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #5 of 23
Not sure that is going to happen and, there is always the Kevin Gilmore Dynalo / Dynahi / Dynalo SuSy (Super Symmetry) and does are all linear class A and available. So in light of the THX/AAA/789 being unobtainable and NO ONE has a freaking clue when or if it drops. Maybe its time to move on. I hate placing anything on a pedestal and I am not about to start now.

Feb 15, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #6 of 23
I don't understand why the 789 hasn't dropped again.. I want one for my birthday... but I'm not sure why the dang thing hasn't dropped again.. does massdrop hate money or something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 15, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #7 of 23
Massdrop made the unit available again but that drop has now ended. In regards to affording it, well, lets just say I have other things I need to take care of. I will get in on a drop at a later time.

Feb 21, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #8 of 23
That amp would be perfect for me also if I could find decent DAC with XLR output, I would have both "worlds" because there is pass trough for my LD MK III in this thing...

Mar 5, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #11 of 23
I wen´t and ordered Schiit Jotunheim instead...I was going round and round with these two but the XLR pre outputs and few notches warmer sound signature made me do it. I already have Schiit Valhalla 2 so that should be also aestethic match also on my desk.
Ps: I tried to come up with english sayings (?) about going back and forth and going round and round about the subject but I couldn´t think of any (as You might notice, english is not my first language) And I can promise that if I translate finnish sayings (????) straight to english it might seem "little" odd; combined with my profile picture I would be banned from Head-fi for sure :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #13 of 23
That amp would be perfect for me also if I could find decent DAC with XLR output, I would have both "worlds" because there is pass trough for my LD MK III in this thing...

Since the THX789 is not a balanced amplifier. Using XLR input into the device that just uses a cheap summing circuit to convert the balanced signal back to single ended before it amplifies it is pointless. XLR in/out does not balanced make.

Jotunheim and Atom are great amplifiers, im sure you'll both be pleased.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #14 of 23
I went w the JDS Labs Atom instead lol

Same! Based in everything I've read there is very little reason to go with the THX it I'm not planning to switch everything over to balanced, which I'm not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back