THX 789 No longer powers on after static discharge touching the headphones.
Mar 20, 2023 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

IAmUsername

New Head-Fier
I have a THX 789 that no longer powers on. The power button no longer clicks like it used to and the red light can be turned on if I press the power button repeatedly. Altho, it dims out and stays dimliy lit. And no audio comes through. The power bricks green light does light up. What lead to my THX no longer working was static discharge when I touched my headphones that were plugged into the amp. It was powered on and working fine. Left my desk to do some stuff and when i came back, grabbed the headphones and shocked my self and killed my amp. The headphones I was using were HD 660 S with custom cables connected to the balanced socket (the one with the four holes if I named it wrong). I did end up taking the board out of the case and found what I'm sure is the issue. I will post the picture I took. It is the part left to the upside down Q4. What I want help with is if I can ether send my THX sent to THX to have it repaired. Or if Drop does repairs as well. I did see someone mention for their THX that Drop doesn't have warranty. And if they do, I have had this amp for over a year now. So maybe im way past it. If there's no where i can have it sent to, maybe i could order the burnt part and have a local pc shop that does soldering desolder and resolder the part back in. Or if this is a lost cause and I should cut my loses and order a new amp. I am not at all knowledgeable with audio stuff. I am a noob with this stuff and this amp is my first ever amp purchase.
There is a youtube video of someone removing that part to fix the led. Granted, i don't know if they did this for the same reason i did outside of the led part.
This is where the power cable connects too on the board.
IMG_3845.jpg

Mar 20, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 4
Fixing it may be more costly than buying a new one. They’re pretty cheap now. If you know what failed and have access to a good solder station that has an air solder unit it’s probably an easy fix. Steady hands and magnifying goggles make these repairs pretty easy.

Mar 21, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #3 of 4
If the led is dim then the problem is probably not the led but more upstream.
If you don't have the tools to debug and fix it yourself then I agree it's probably better to just get a new one.

Mar 21, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #4 of 4
Check if you bought it with a credit card that doubles the warranty it could be covered that way. I'd unplug it from the wall for a couple of hours then restart it just as a last ditch effort. Hopefully your CC company will cover it for the second year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back