Thunderstorms
Jul 6, 2005 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Julz

500+ Head-Fier
Just curious, do any of you guys and gals log off during a thunderstorm ? I remember reading in some Verizon thing that it's best to. I never have....yet

We're having a bit of a thump here in NYC...

Jul 6, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Julz
Just curious, do any of you guys and gals log off during a thunderstorm ? I remember reading in some Verizon thing that it's best to. I never have....yet

We're having a bit of a thump here in NYC...

It really is better to shut everything down for that time being...I never do it personally.

Jul 6, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 23
After having several phones, a couple modems, and assorted electronics deep-fried by lightning strikes of several stripes, I can say that it is best to unplug things you don't want to replace.

However, I cannot be bothered with basic safety, so I generally unplug only when things get severe or close.

Jul 6, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #4 of 23
If the thunderstorm is severe then yes I would shutdown and uplug anything I don't want to get fried. If the thuderstrorm is a mild one and is quite a distant away I usually don't shutdown

Jul 7, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
I don't unplug anything - I thought the possibilities of that happening are pretty limited anyway, are they not?

Depends how often you get thunderstorms. I generally lose something to lightning once a year. It's gotten better since we started unplugging during the bad stuff, but sooner or later, it happens.

Jul 7, 2005 at 12:27 AM Post #7 of 23
dunno where in NYC you are, but here in brooklyn its not taht bad. rain wasnt that bad....

Jul 7, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #8 of 23
I lost a modem once due to a thunderstorm, several years ago. Now i have these fancy Belkin PureAv surge protectors and one has saved my electronics already in the last year.

Aman, invest in a good surge protector if you haven't already.

Jul 7, 2005 at 1:12 AM Post #9 of 23
MrSlacker: Living in Greenwhich Village now and we had a thunderstorm today - but nothing happened here so no worries.

gloco: I have a lot of them at use already. Again, I haven't lost one single thing to power surges or thunderstorms, or the like.

Maybe I'm just lucky
tongue.gif

Jul 7, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #10 of 23
i am using APC surge for my PC so im not worrying about power outage.

Jul 7, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #11 of 23
I'm in northern Queens, no it wasn't that bad at all, I was just wondering what people do.... My grandmother used to run around the house opening windows in case they got blown in...

Jul 7, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #12 of 23
We don't get much for electrical storms where I come from, but as luck would have it, since I got my setup around a month ago we've been having lightning and thunder like mad! Every few days it seems...so I've been unplugging and plugging in my gear on a pretty regular basis. Guess I might have to invest in some protection for my stuff afterall...

Jul 7, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #13 of 23
I also had a modem damaged in a thunderstorm. My computer wasn't even on at the time. IIRC I had the phone line directly plugged into my PC without going through a surge protector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back