Thunderpants (T50RP mod) Group Buy
Sep 26, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #256 of 879
The Thunderpants have superb isolation (note that the ports are tiny).
I use my Thunderpants all the time on the plane and hardly any noise gets through.
These phones are about on par with hearing protectors in regards to isolation (though some pads are better in this regard than others).

Quote:
gah I meant how much do they isolate ported.  Thanks for the link haven´t seen the Thunderpants there before. Anybody know if that version is ported? Depending on what frequencies you look at it isolate from very good to not at all. But on a quick look no worse then the Pro 900 which has worked decently for my head at least :)

Now what frequencies are fan noise at generally. 120 mm fans in my case.

Sep 26, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #257 of 879
which earpad was that? it must be an eye catcher on the plane!

Quote:
The Thunderpants have superb isolation (note that the ports are tiny).
I use my Thunderpants all the time on the plane and hardly any noise gets through.
These phones are about on par with hearing protectors in regards to isolation (though some pads are better in this regard than others).

Sep 26, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #258 of 879
Guys, don't be getting arsey at Gary for not replying straight away etc, it's not on, just respect and understand that behind ordering all the parts, keeping up to date with all PM's, responding to this thread, sorting orders out, sorting woods out, sorting funds out, making sure he's up to date with orders away from the group buy - That he's actually got a life, and I'm sure it's in his interest to please everyone :xf_eek:

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #259 of 879
Mine have the Stax O2 pads. Actually it is not the Thunderpants but the rest of the rig that gets the comments, as I pull out my IRiver and Leckerton DAC/Amp and cable them together with a Toslink cable. People are used to seeing the usual iPod or smartphone used as sources.

Quote:
which earpad was that? it must be an eye catcher on the plane!

Sep 26, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #260 of 879

I mean you are on a plane. They probably thought you were carry a bomb.

Quote:
Mine have the Stax O2 pads. Actually it is not the Thunderpants but the rest of the rig that gets the comments, as I pull out my IRiver and Leckerton DAC/Amp and cable them together with a Toslink cable. People are used to seeing the usual iPod or smartphone used as sources.

Sep 26, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #261 of 879
Ah, I see.
Surprisingly little issues in that regard despite my music bag being full of electronics (including my Nook). Have only gotten an "additional screening" once and I fly often.
The stewardesses are just surprised that anyone would want to carry around that much stuff just to enjoy music :).
Despite the many elaborate rigs we see on Head-Fi we must be a very tiny percentage of the flying public.

Quote:
I mean you are on a plane. They probably thought you were carry a bomb.

Sep 26, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #263 of 879
Thanks, black velour it is then. I can't imagine any sighted person ordering the silvers

Sep 26, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #265 of 879

Quote:
Of the pads I've been investigating I can give the following...

Stax. Good isolation, very comfortable, good sound +, decent soundstage, very expensive.

LCD2 rev1 pads. Very good isolation, good comfort, very good sound, good soundstage +, moderately expensive.

LCD2 rev2 pads. visually a little different, sonically about the same to my ears, so as good as the Rev1.

Beyer Gel pads. Ugly as sin, extreme isolation, good comfort, good sound +, good soundstage +, relatively inexpensive.

Beyer leather pads. Good isolation, good sound, good comfort, difficult to fit, decent soundstage, relatively inexpensive.

Beyer pleather pads. Good isolation, decent comfort, decent sound, decent soundstage, relatively inexpensive.

Beyer Black or Silver velour pads. When modified offer moderate isolation, very good comfort, very good sound, best soundstage, relatively inexpensive.

Fostex pads. Very good isolation, good comfort, good sound, lesser quality construction, moderate soundstage, free.

Denon pads, good isolation, good comfort, good sound, decent soundstage, moderately expensive.

This is my opinion based on tests with my experiment set.
They all have some compromise somewhere and none are perfect, some are extremely well suited to specific needs though.

I'm not sure what to do about pads. I ordered the "Beyer Leather Pads" for around $70.00 but I'm not sure if this is the best choice. I really didn't want to spend much more on the pads.

Any thoughts?

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #267 of 879
Smeggy, are you planning on making your mods to the Velours public (you're buying and selling at cost if I'm not mistaken, so it couldn't hurt for me to pay shipping here directly rather than you then to me could it?), and if not, could I buy a set of modded ones when I get around to getting that kit? Sorry to clutter it up here since I'm not in the group, but I figured it was somewhat relevant if anybody wanted velours.

Sep 26, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #268 of 879
They are an excellent pad. I am using them on my secondary headphones, Beyer DT-770s. They are comfy, isolate well and have held up to 100s of hours use with no issues.

Quote:
I'm not sure what to do about pads. I ordered the "Beyer Leather Pads" for around $70.00 but I'm not sure if this is the best choice. I really didn't want to spend much more on the pads.

Any thoughts?

Sep 27, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #270 of 879
Smeggy, are you planning on making your mods to the Velours public (you're buying and selling at cost if I'm not mistaken, so it couldn't hurt for me to pay shipping here directly rather than you then to me could it?), and if not, could I buy a set of modded ones when I get around to getting that kit? Sorry to clutter it up here since I'm not in the group, but I figured it was somewhat relevant if anybody wanted velours.

It's basically applying a strip of foam tape around the underside of the pads, I use a specific type of foam which is designed as a non slip pad for tools as it's thin, flexible and stick like crazy. It's also about $30 a roll and I go through a lot of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back